Dark brown possibly reddish poop?

Burntsalad

New member
Joined
Aug 19, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
4
Parrots
Kakariki
New bird owner here, kakariki has suddenly started pooping brown and I'm concerned about his health. He's fed a mostly seed diet consisting of mixed seeds and sunflower seeds (which I'm planning on switching to pellets soon now that I know seeds aren't nutritious and high in fat) and fruit which is almost exclusively watermelon at the moment but has he always pooped green or yellow.
 

Attachments

  • is-this-a-healthy-color-for-kakariki-poop-v0-3iwu8ttj2dkh1.webp
    is-this-a-healthy-color-for-kakariki-poop-v0-3iwu8ttj2dkh1.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Care
Reactions: AMD
First how is he acting overall? Normal? Listless? Fluffed up? Brown poop, birds, people is diet related and normal. The liquid around is clear, blood would tinge red, yellow high urine. If diet unchanged watch. As weekend approaches any other changes consider an avian vet. Worry is normal. Stay alert. Ask questions. My avian vet says that I am one of the few parrot owners who can give him the times and exact numbers of each sneeze or cough. Paranoid?
 
  • Like
Reactions: AMD
First how is he acting overall? Normal? Listless? Fluffed up? Brown poop, birds, people is diet related and normal. The liquid around is clear, blood would tinge red, yellow high urine. If diet unchanged watch. As weekend approaches any other changes consider an avian vet. Worry is normal. Stay alert. Ask questions. My avian vet says that I am one of the few parrot owners who can give him the times and exact numbers of each sneeze or cough. Paranoid?
He's acting friendlier than usual, usually he wouldn't let me near him with my hand at all but now he's allowing me to approach him with my hand but biting me, though the biting is not aggressive in my opinion, seems more curious. I checked on him around an hour ago and his poop looked normal I think, though I may be wrong, I'll check again in the morning.

Would you say the poop coloration is worrying? The only simple conclusion I can think of is that he's been eating a lot of watermelon but I'm not sure if watermelon can dye parrot poop.
 
  • Care
Reactions: AMD
Back
Top Bottom