Dark side of Parrot Rescues Centers

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi Gina,

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for your situation. I applaud your efforts, but unfortunately similar stories are all too common. I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel...so many birds and expenses involved. We really need to revise our views on parrots as pets...it goes, as you know all too well, way beyond the concept that they are not well-suited to most home situations, Best, Frank

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
My local bird club just lost our adoption program, and no one within the adoption committee (5 people total, but only 1 of them running it) were told as far as I know... unless they were at the meeting where it was decided to shut the program down.... I wasn't there. Four people stepped up to try and help, but it was only one person doing it and I think she became overwhelmed with not only the birds but also personal issues. She should have never done it alone.

Gina, I really don't see that big of an issue with breeders fostering parrots. I completely understand why you are against it, but there are [good] breeders out there that do their own rescue and rehoming! I'm actually friends with one such breeder and she posts about the birds coming in that need new homes! I also realize that some breeders may just be looking for free or cheap birds to put into their breeding programs, which I don't really agree with at all. There's also the fact that some birds that come into rescue aren't "pet quality" and would not thrive well in a "pet" kind of situation. (the "unadoptables")These birds may do better in an aviary kind of setting where they could be with another bird(s) of their own species.

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Very good point re "un-adoptables"...while not all will mix with other birds, generally more of a chance of that happening than their finding a home-pet situation. best, Frank

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
Monica,

You're absolutely right. There are some amazing breeders out there and for them I'm grateful.

However, I didn't feel like this couple fell into that category. When I offered them a Military macaw to foster, suddenly they weren't sure they'd have enough time. They were after the bonded pair and saw nothing more than Harlequin babies in their future. I wouldn't have allowed that to happen, but the club did.

We did have 2, during my reign, that I sent to sanctuary because after 6 months in foster care and being worked with on a daily basis, were never tame enough to be considered a companion. One was a Severe and the other was a Umbrella cockatoo. Despite all our efforts, neither of these birds would ever allow you to get close enough to them. Even feeding was scary and they'd both actively come after you as soon as you got near the cage. I won't tell you what cleaning their cage was like!

The one I had that I was most curious about was Apollo, a Moluccan Cockatoo that would scream "HELP ME! HELP ME!" Followed by a baby crying and then a police siren. This would happen almost every night at about 3am. I always wondered what that bird had seen and been through to invoke that kind of reaction. I'll never forget the first time the police showed up on my doorstep to investigate either. Explaining to them was interesting!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Ah, I see.... what a tough situation! And I have heard of some situations where police were called out to investigate calls made by parrots that were mistaken for the sounds of humans!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts