Daytime Cage for Nike

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Since we lost our beloved pup we've begun the hunt for a new friend. My number one concern is not negatively affecting Nike's quality of life and this is my attempt in making that happen. In preparation for the arrival of a new pup (still looking), I've decided that the chances of Nike being able to spend all day outside of the cage is nil and unfortunately for a while she's going to need more cage time. Her current cage is off in another room and is large and perfect for sleeping or hanging around in when I'm in there working but I want a place in the high traffic area for her so she's part of it all so I'm putting one in my living room.

Pandemic Pricing:
Unfreaking believable! Part of preparing for a new pup is making a dog pen so it's easier on my when they need to go outside. For 14 years I never let my little guy out alone at night for fear that he would attack and hurt a bear or coyote or fisher cat or something (Yes, he thought he was that big), so rain or shine, hot or cold, every time he needed to go out I was out with him. This new pen will keep the new dog(s) safely contained and provide a place for it when I have Nike out unsupervised.

So I'm having the chain link fence installed, about 72 feet plus a gate. I was thinking around $2k and that's even what the internet told me. Well, $4500 later I'm getting my small fence installed. Three quarters of that price is for the measly amount of material needed. The space is only 640 sq feet (16x40). I was lucky and found a local company who began the work a week after I signed the contract. They'll be back in a couple of weeks to finish the job.
20211223_095818.jpg

Now for the cage. My wife insisted on white, not off white like the cage I wanted but bright white ;) There is apparently a shortage of white powder coat because the vast majority of reasonably priced cages on Amazon are black :). Yes I looked at cages4less and in fact that where I found the cage I wanted but it was off white, not whiteo_O

So here we go now, almost $400 for a cage that is 2" bigger than all the $170 cages and really should be priced at half of what it's going for and Amazon was the cheapest with some places asking in the mid 400's.

Here it is, a Prevue Hendrix 24x20 playtop cage in chalk white. I cant wait to see what her poop looks like on it ;) I've got some dragon wood perches coming after Christmas and will pick up another K&H heater. This will replace the corner play setup that you see in a lot of her pictures. I don't have room for the seed guards, and I'll be enhancing the play area.

Nike is a very good cage bird even without any company but with someone in the room she is really just as happy as being out. With the dog pen I'll be able to give her and me all the personal time we need....that's the plan.

3152c-jpg.33312

Attachments

• 3152C.jpg
    3152C.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 187

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Bright white has fallen out of favor with the home decorators and as a result bright white has become rare. Pricing is a pain that sadly is just going to keep hurting even more over the next year. Buy now or pay even more later is the new sales push on near everything.

Nice pup run you are installing there! With luck two weeks from now will still have us in mild weather or not!!

Merry Christmas Good Friend!!

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Actually, I convinced my wife to go with Sage Green which will blend in nicely with the green wall it's on. I just thought the white would stick out too much.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Luckily You! Mrs. Boat has determined that I am color blind and as a result any input from me regarding color is discounted heavily.

Most Reactions