Decorate aviary- Maui's oasis

rbreck

Feb 14, 2013
Simi Valley, California USA
Parrots
Baby Senegal - not yet home
Hello all,
We just bought a 4x4x6 aviary for Maui. I am so excited to decorate but overwhelmed with ideas. He will be using only during the day. Aviary will get 2 hours of 1/2 sun 1/2 shade, the rest of the day will be shade. I would like to make it as natural as possible. Can you recommend plants? The list of non toxic plants is long. Can anyone recommend favorites? Favorites with color?

Thinking of a small fountain too, but maybe this will be a germ magnet. Right?
Goal would be for this to be his little outdoor getaway :).

I will send some photos this weekend.

:green2:

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
~SI female eclectus: Nalani~
~pineapple.turquoise GCC: Layla~

U2gal

May 20, 2013
I assume the 6ft is the height? So its 4'x4' in width.

Its not a true aviary but a nice size outdoor cage.

What kind of bird do you have?

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
If you want Maui to fly in there don't put in too many plants. I use branches and ropes for them to land on. I like palms and have some but my Eclectus eat them right up. They are safe though. Really anything you put in there probably will get chomped on.

OP
R

rbreck

Feb 14, 2013
Parrots
Correct about the size. Appears to have been cut down. It is a used, craigslist cage. Maui is a 10 month old Eclectus. Perfect size for a day time playpen.

OP
R

rbreck

Feb 14, 2013
Parrots
I can't wait for him to catch a little air. He drops like a rock now. He has broken off all tail feathers and now most flight feathers - 2 left. At 10 months how much longer until he starts getting new feathers.

coltfire

Mar 24, 2013
Media
campbelltown
Parrots
eclectus parrots x 4
cockateils x 4
budgies x 22
lories x 2
babies all year round
my young one isabout the same age as yours and was chewing all feathers just the ends of them, i end up putting a lot of paddle pop sticks in and foraging toys in the busier i kept him the less he chewed on feathers after 2/3 weeks no longer interested in his own feathers, but his new ones have come through and he looks a lot better

OP
R

rbreck

Feb 14, 2013
Parrots
He doesn't appear to be messing with his feathers. they just get twisted and broken. He plays upside down a lot and sometimes it doesn't work out so well - ouch :)

the way he drops i should have called him Rocky! It is getting better now but he really went through a rough stage.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
They start molting the large feathers sometime after 12 months, sometimes not until 15 months.

OP
R

rbreck

Feb 14, 2013
Parrots
Poor guy has a long time before he takes flight :( - guess I should put some toys in the cage. Thanks everyone! I will send pic soon. Sunday I will put him in the new cage for a few minutes... With my company of course. tweet. Tweet.

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
If you want Maui to fly in there don't put in too many plants. I use branches and ropes for them to land on. I like palms and have some but my Eclectus eat them right up. They are safe though. Really anything you put in there probably will get chomped on.

Maui's oasis sounds amazing!!!! I'd love to build an aviary for Oliver. SodaKat, I live in South Florida do you think Palm tree branches are okay...

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009

Maui's oasis sounds amazing!!!! I'd love to build an aviary for Oliver. SodaKat, I live in South Florida do you think Palm tree branches are okay...

Yes! Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

Most Reactions