Different Species in the same enclosure??

FrankD

Feb 3, 2014
Doing my research...

I know it's not wise to put two adults not familiar with each other in the same enclosure, but I read the following...

"If you set out to have more than one parrot of different species, getting them very young and at the same time so that you can raise them together can be effective. In "Parrots for Dummies," Nikki Moustaki says this isn't a guarantee they'll be BFF, but there is a better chance of harmony in your home than if you purchased two adult parrots and tried to force them to live together and like it."

Have any of you had a good (or bad) experience raising two different species in the same enclosure from a very young age?

TIA

The only time I find this possible is raised them together as chicks. They never pick at one another BUT they will do it to others. But why do you want them in the same cage???

i wouldnt recommend it. even if they get along when young, that can change once they hit sexual maturity and the hormones can make them act out and possibly kill the other, or severely injure it

But why do you want them in the same cage???

It's just that I will feel bad being gone during the day while I am at work. I want them be able to have each others company.

I don't mind gettng separate enclosures and putting them next to each other, but I thought it would be better if they can be together in the same enclosure.

they will be more than happy with their cages side by side :D

thats how my cockatiels live, in separate units next to eachother because they fight in the same cage, but get lonely separated... call it a love-hate relationship lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back