Diseases at the vet?

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
I hear all the time how deadly and how easily passed on illnesses are.
And the first thing recommended are to take your bird to a vet.
However, upon thinking about it, it has left me wondering, does taking your bird to the vet more likely subject them from the very thing we don't want to subject them too?
Is there ways to avoid that?
When people describe what they do to make sure their birds don't get ill...
Taking clothes off outside. Putting into a bag. Washing immediately and taking a shower....
It makes me worry.

lquan

Nov 6, 2013
El Monte, CA
Parrots
Yellow Sided Conure
I am more concern about going bird shows than vet.

BIRD MARTS, The Greatest Threat to Avian Health

I have never been to a bird show in my life and i don't ever plan to. I order most of my bird food and supplies online. Once the food bags arrived by the mail, I scrub them down with Clorox wipes. I wash all bird toys with detergent before bring them into the house.

The breeder I got my Lily from didn't allow me to go to his backyard for the same reason. The second thing he said after "hello" was "have you visit any other breeder before coming here today?". I could only watch his backyard aviary through the windows. He keeps birds for sale in the front yard.

But then my friend who has some 50 exotic finches never care about diseases and bird-sitting for many friends, rarely lost a finch to disease. He hosts bird singing contest weekly, where many friends bring their own birds. He keeps his finches outdoor year round without any sort of heater in the winter. He only covers up his aviary with canvas in the winter. I have only been to his house once. My clothes went straight into the washer and I went straight into the shower afterward. He lives only a few blocks from my house. I rode my bicycle there.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm not worried about my Avian vet, however, we do have 2 HUGE bird specialty stores near me, one of which I go to at least once a month. When there I play with as many birds as I can - and there are LOTS to play with. I do spray my hands with some sort of disinfectant before handling the birds, but it still leaves you wondering what IF just one of these hundreds of birds has a communicable disease? :eek:

The same store sells all things bird related, and I have ordered online and bought in person from them before.

If I was paranoid, I would not buy anything there. Or I would strip naked before entering my house. But I don't. :) Am I taking a risk? I'm sure I am, but I won't allow myself to live in paranoia over the "what ifs".

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I'm not worried about going to the vet, they are very sanitary (in front of me anyway) but I personally wouldn't board my birds there...that would definately prey on my germaphobic mind.

Superbird

Jun 22, 2013
Parrots
Kiku my Black Cap Conure
I've often worried about this too. If a bird is sick with an airborne transferable disease, won't the entire air space at a vet clinic be contaminated no matter how sanitary they are? And because most sick birds go to the vet then that would only mean a higher risk of the air being contaminated.

OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
That's what I mean superbird!

See, I'm a part of a bird club/rescue. At the monthly meetings they bring their birds too. I find myself tossing between fear of disease, and good idea for socialization for the bird :)
Then it dawned on me that the vet may be more of a risk then even the bird club because the sick birds for sure go there...

MissSissy

Dec 20, 2013
IL
Parrots
Caique "Kiwi"
GW Macaw "Maxie"
I was wondering the same exact thing. On the 7th, we are headed to the vet with Maxie and Kiwi and I can't help but wonder. The last time we were there, a gentleman had about 6 rescue birds with him. My husband was talking with him and fell in love with one of the birds and told him... Don't you dare touch that bird. :( Made me feel bad, but I didn't want Kiwi getting anything. Kiwi was seen before the rescue birds but that doesn't mean the vet didn't see a bunch before Kiwi.

I have brought Kiwi back to Brian (the breeder) for socialization without a doubt in my mind that he will be ok going there. His aviary is top notch... it's the vet's office that always makes me nervous.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Those who are overly concerned about this matter should honestly call their Avian vets and ask what measures are taken to prevent such cross contamination, and how effective those measures are. :)

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Ask to see your veterinarian's facilities. Ask questions and discuss quarantine protocols. See how the sick animals are housed and ask how the facility is equipped to prevent cross-contamination. All staff should be trained in the art of disinfecting surfaces and themselves. Ask what training staff members have had. Are the technicians/assistants certified, licensed?

The avian facilities I've worked at were very strict on their protocol of disease transmission prevention. We had to wear protective clothing, including footies over our shoes. Staff who handled the sick animals did not handle patients out in the exam room. We had to attend seminars to update our knowledge, but the most important thing is hand washing.

And don't ever board your pet at a veterinarian facility.

Most Reactions

Latest posts