DIY Cheap Deskside Birdsafe Playstand Tutorial

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots
Sassy - 8 Year old cockatoo
Guaco - 8 month Greencheek (Pineapple)
Check out this perch I whipped up. Keep in mind, this is for a small bird (IE conure) so if you have a larger bird, the only thing you'll need to up the anty on are the hook sizes,measurements of the pipes,pipe size and obviously the amount of vet tape. If you have a drill, it will help ALOT in this build. I have it sized to fit my L desk at home, so you might need to make adjustments

Here's what you'll need:

Tools: Drill bit set, Power Drill, Glue, Measuring tape, Pipe cut tool (Or you can use the stores) and a Sharpie Marker.

X2 10 Ft 1/2 Inch PVC (Lowes or home depot, very cheap.)
X4 1/2 T fittings
X4 Slide on 1/2 caps
X4-8 Small Hooks, (You can find them in the fasteners isle)
X1 Bird safe glue, (I used a generic brand of rubber cement, make sure you don't get it on the points you don't intend to cover just incase. Make sure its 100% dry, because this is when it is the most non toxic)
X5 Rolls of Vet tape (This will vary, I wanted my conure to have varying widths and bumps on his playstand.)

Lets do some material prepping, grab your pipe cutters, measuring tape and a marker!

1) Make X11 cuts measuring 10" each, we'll use these for the perch arms, the width of the stand, and the length of the stand as well as one for the bottom level of the perch bottom itself

2) Make X2 Cuts for the height of the perch part of the playstand. I cut my first level to 10", then my second to about 6" so that it wouldn't be too high.

3) Make X2 Cuts, this will be for the middle to support the T that holds the perch. 4" on each side should be enough.

Before we start working on the base of the playstand, take a look at this diagram.

Bottom Perch.png

4) Assemble your elbows and T's with the pipe cuttings for the bottom level, It should look like the bottom perch diagram I've linked in this thread. Keep in mind the MIDDLE T should be facing UP so that you can put the perch assembly in.

5) If you're happy with the finished product begin to glue, make sure to only glue the inside of the pipe fittings, not the outside of the pipe for the best and tightest seal.

6) Allow 1-2 hours to fully dry,

7) Vet wrap all pipes, you can wrap the elbows if you so choose, make sure you're providing your bird with different diameters to grip to avoid foot problems later in life.

Before we begin to assemble the top, take a look at this diagram.

Top Perch.png

8) Assemble your parts together, with the 10" pipe on the bottom level and a cutting of your own, I used 6" for the second level. You can keep the perch arms diagonal or straight, I preferred diagonal so that I could hang longer chewable toys.

9) Glue the top fittings, Again; make sure you only glue inside the fittings.

10) Allow to dry completely. (Again, 1-2 Hours)

11) Drill hooks into bottom pipes. (If you don't have a drill, you can hand screw the hooks in, its just extremely tedious) Make sure you use the right drill bit so that the hooks don't fall out from the weight of the toys. Screw in the hooks. You can use as many hooks as you prefer, I put 2 hooks on each arm.

12) Wrap pipe in Vet wrap. I completely wrapped the ends, the T and Cross fittings, you don't have to as your bird obviously won't spend its time sitting on those.

13) Insert bottom pipe of the perch into the base's T fitting, glue and allow to dry.

14) Install toys and ladders, I would recommend chew able toys, but nothing too heavy unless you're using larger pipes.

15) Poop Tray OPTIONAL, I didn't include this in your material round up simply because changing paper is easier than scrubbing a bottom. You can Simply drill the elbows with 4 Screws to secure to a wooden or plastic base. You can also place the playstand in a small litter box.

Enjoy your new playstand! You've saved about 30 dollars and can live with the pride of creating something your conure will enjoy for years to come. Its also very customizable.

:rainbow1::rainbow1::rainbow1::rainbow1:

Here's what the final product should look like.

Perch1.jpg
Perch2_183955.jpg
Perch3_200305.jpg

Thank you for reading my guide, post your final products here as I look forward to what you've done differently!

Last edited:

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Nice DIY stand but I had to chuckle when I read "Desk Side" because my bird would vacate that in a second in favor of tearing up my keyboard ;)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Nice! A couple of observations. The clasp is open, a real danger! Also, it’s recommended, wide side down to avoid a wedge trap potential!
Give the glue days to cure! As ugly as it is, you may be better off with regular PVC glue! It is a solvent that melts the PVC! Once dried, safe-ish! Again, days, not hours! I don’t even glue the ends, I just jam a piece of string over the end and twist!

OP
M

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots
Nice! A couple of observations. The clasp is open, a real danger! Also, it’s recommended, wide side down to avoid a wedge trap potential!
Give the glue days to cure! As ugly as it is, you may be better off with regular PVC glue! It is a solvent that melts the PVC! Once dried, safe-ish! Again, days, not hours! I don’t even glue the ends, I just jam a piece of string over the end and twist!

I used PVC glue, it drys fast couple of hours its water proof. What did you mean by clasp?

Edit: Oh, The toy claps, I see! This was before I finished tightening the toys, my bad!

OP
M

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots
Nice DIY stand but I had to chuckle when I read "Desk Side" because my bird would vacate that in a second in favor of tearing up my keyboard ;)

Thankfully, the cockatoo and conure aren't interested.. yet..:60:

Most Reactions

Latest posts