T-Bird

Jan 23, 2024
Media
Parrots
Had a Citron Crested cockatoo and have a Yellow Naped Amazon
My wife & I have had two parrots since 1988-A Citron cockatoo named 'T-Bird' and a Yellow Nape Amazon named Willy. Both birds were legally caught and quarantined at that time and were at the age of 6 months each.
Both Willy and T-Bird have had their own bedroom where we keep their cages.

This past year we started seeing our cockatoo experiencing seizures so we took her to the avian vet to diagnose. The doctor said she had advanced heart disease and nodules on her liver and started her on 4 medicines twice a day.
Seven months ago we took her back for a follow up and the doctor was surprised that she had made it that long! Unfortunately she started going down hill a couple of weeks ago and we weren't quite sure she had an egg or getting sicker. During all the time of her sickness we have kept her in a smaller cage with a towel in the bottom in case she fell from a seizure. T-Bird shocked us over a week ago when we opened her bedroom door to see her sitting on her back perch not facing us (She was always on the front bars of her cage waiting for us each morning) I could tell she was dyeing so I talked to her very quietly and told her we loved her and will miss her if she leaves us. She actually turned her head sideways to look at me with one eye and listened, then to turned back towards the wall. We called the vet and they said to bring here in so I pulled out the carrier and put it on the couch. My wife reluctantly took her out carefully to the couch and held her gently on her chest where T-Bird started making this painfull cries which hurt us deeply. Ellen put her in the carrier and the bird buried her head under the towel inside and made a couple more cries then died in there. The vet said we could bring her in for paw prints on a ceramic and asked us if we wanted some crest and wing feathers.
I bought a new tool box with a padlock placed T-Bird in a yellow cozy wrap she used once on a towel we used to wrap her in when we gave her her meds and placed her in the tool box, locked it and buried her in a 2 foot deep hole to discourage animals from finding her.

We have never felt this much intense grief before, even after my father's death in 87 and my mom's death in 2002

T-Bird was 36 1/2 years old at her death

We will always miss her

Attachments

• Flowers, etc 119.jpg
    Flowers, etc 119.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 11
  • TBird and Willy.JPG
    TBird and Willy.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Bossy getting meds.jpg
    Bossy getting meds.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My wife & I have had two parrots since 1988-A Citron cockatoo named 'T-Bird' and a Yellow Nape Amazon named Willy. Both birds were legally caught and quarantined at that time and were at the age of 6 months each.

This past year we started seeing our cockatoo experiencing seizures so we took her to the avian vet to diagnose. The doctor said she had advanced heart disease and nodules on her liver and started her on 4 medicines twice a day.
Seven months ago we took her back for a follow up and the doctor was surprised that she had made it that long! Unfortunately she started going down hill a couple of weeks ago and we weren't quite sure she had an egg or getting sicker. During all the time of her sickness we have kept her in a smaller cage with a towel in the bottom in case she fell from a seizure. T-Bird shocked us over a week ago when we opened her bedroom door to see her sitting on her back perch not facing us (She was always on the front bars of her cage waiting for us each morning) I could tell she was dyeing so I talked to her very quietly and told her we loved her and will miss her if she leaves us. She actually turned her head sideways to look at me with one eye and listened, then to turned back towards the wall. We called the vet and they said to bring here in so I pulled out the carrier and put it on the couch. My wife reluctantly took her out carefully to the couch and held her gently on her chest where T-Bird started making this painfull cries which hurt us deeply. Ellen put her in the carrier and the bird buried her head under the towel inside and made a couple more cries then died in there. The vet said we could bring her in for paw prints on a ceramic and asked us if we wanted some crest and wing feathers.
I bought a new tool box with a padlock placed T-Bird in a yellow cozy wrap she used onnce on a towel we used to wrap her in when we gave her her meds and placed her in the tool box, locked it and buried her in a 2 foot deep whole to discourage animals from finding her.

We have never felt this much intense grief before, even after my father's death in 87 and my mom's death in 2002

We will always miss her

Welcome to the forums, @T-Bird, but I'm so sorry for the heartbreaking loss that brought you here. The passing of these feathered miracles does cut very deep, but T-Bird was SO very lucky to have been loved so completely for her whole life, the way every companion parrot deserves to be. Though I have not personally had such a long-lived parrot myself, I understand the broken-ness and grief that you are feeling all too well, as do many others in this community so I'm very glad you found us, because we get it. The pain of loss is so very raw now, but I hope in time that the happy memories of your precious girl will bring comfort to both your hearts, even though there will always be tears - goodness knows the tears are still there for me. 🙏

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, beautiful T-Bird, until we all meet again 🌈💝

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure

I bought a new tool box with a padlock placed T-Bird in a yellow cozy wrap she used onnce on a towel we used to wrap her in when we gave her her meds and placed her in the tool box, locked it and buried her in a 2 foot deep whole to discourage animals from finding her.

We will always miss her
I am heartbroken reading your post. From the pictures you posted I can tell t-bird was very much loved. I can’t imagine the pain you are going through. Sending virtual hugs and my deepest condolences to you and t-birds family. Feel free to share more photos and stories of T-bird!

OP
T

T-Bird

Jan 23, 2024
Media
Parrots
Thank you very much and i will post more of her as well as are surviving parrot Willy

OP
T

T-Bird

Jan 23, 2024
Media
Parrots
Welcome to the forums, @T-Bird, but I'm so sorry for the heartbreaking loss that brought you here. The passing of these feathered miracles does cut very deep, but T-Bird was SO very lucky to have been loved so completely for her whole life, the way every companion parrot deserves to be. Though I have not personally had such a long-lived parrot myself, I understand the broken-ness and grief that you are feeling all too well, as do many others in this community so I'm very glad you found us, because we get it. The pain of loss is so very raw now, but I hope in time that the happy memories of your precious girl will bring comfort to both your hearts, even though there will always be tears - goodness knows the tears are still there for me. 🙏

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, beautiful T-Bird, until we all meet again 🌈💝
Thank you for your kind thoughts as we much appreciate them

Most Reactions

Latest posts