DIY Oriole Feeder

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
For the past 2 years Iā€™ve had Baltimore Orioles coming to my yard, and I didnā€™t like any of the ā€˜el cheapoā€™ Oriole Feeders. Feeling inspired by seeing some really cool (and expensive) feeders online, I decided to try and make one.

Materials needed:
Piece of wood (I used a 6ā€ wide cedar fence post)
Sheet of plexiglass
Piece of clear corner protector
Clear silicone
14 small SS screws
4 large SS screws (or small, thin pieces of dowel to attach orange slices)
4 small SS eyehooks
6 small S hooks
Chain to hang
2 condiment cups (I used cheap plastic ones with a diameter of 2.5ā€ on top)
2.5ā€ Hole cutter drill bit
Saw (I used table saw)
Clamps and scrap wood to hold clamps onto plexi after gluing
Orange Spray Paint
Oranges & Grape Jelly

Ā· Cut the wood pieces to size. My bottom piece is 14ā€ long, and the sides are 8ā€.
Ā· Cut holes in bottom piece for the condiment cups to go in
Ā· Cut 45 degree angles on the side pieces (for the roof to go on)
Ā· Fasten side pieces to bottom (pre-drill holes whenever possible)
Ā· Attach screws (or whatever else you choose to use) to hang orange slices on
Ā· Paint the frame with several coats of orange paint
Ā· Cut plexiglass to size for roof. (My 2 pieces were cut to 18 X 8 each)
Ā· Cut clear piece of corner protector to size (18ā€ for me)
Ā· Glue plexiglass to corner protector using clear silicone. Use C-Clamps and spare wood to hold into place at least 24 hours
Ā· Once paint is dry and roof has cured, place roof over frame
Ā· Drilling straight into plexi is a huge PITA since plexi likes to crack. Mark the plexiglass where you will tighten it to the roof. Heat a screwdriver and melt holes where the marks are. Then put screws in, and 4 eyescrews on the top (for chain to attach)
Ā· Since I used SS screws to attach orange slices, I cut the tips and filed them down.
Ā· Attach chain and hang

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Wendy, I LOVE IT! It looks fantastic and so professional! You're so skilled at DIY projects! Thanks for sharing the photos and instructions.

I'm a bit jealous of your orioles. I've never had the pleasure of feeding them.

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Awesome feeder Wendy!!!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Wow! When we talked about it I couldn't really picture it but this is fantastic! Great job! I wish I was better at projects like this but me and power tools don't get along. Once when I was much younger I was using a belt sander I leaned down to get the window ledge and my very long hair got pulled up into the sander it went so fast that before I knew it, it was wound right up to my head. Hubby had to take the thing apart to unwind my hair and it still pulled out a ton so I have been leery of anything other than a hammer or screwdriver since then!:eek:

Last edited:
OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thanks so much, ladies!! :D

Wow! When we talked about it I couldn't really picture it but this is fantastic! Great job! I wish I was better at projects like this but me and power tools don't get along. Once when I was much younger I was using a belt sander I leaned down to get the window ledge and my very long hair got pulled up into the sander it went so fast that before I knew it, it was wound right up to my head. Hubby had to take the thing apart to unwind my hair and it still pulled out a ton so I have been leery of anything other than a hammer or screwdriver since then!:eek:

Laura, I was ROFLMAO @ your belt sander story! :eek: Hey, you may be leery with tools, but you sure are phenomenal with paintbrushes and canvas!!! :smile015:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Wow! What lucky birds you have in your area to have such a nice feeder! I bet they'll be hanging out on it during bad weather too since you included a nice little roof:)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
WOW!!!! Amazing handy work, Wendy!!! Can't wait to see pics of all the orioles that will visit your feeder [emoji41]

Most Reactions

Latest posts