Do any of your parrots do odd things??????

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
So as I write this my ringneck is doing his best to groom my toenails. He LOVES, LOVES, LOVES, toenails. If you take your shoes or socks off he will fly down to where ever it is you have your feet and start grooming, and it hurts.:eek: I have redirected him but if he sees those feet thats what he wants. He is such an odd old man.

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
5 year old cockatoo Chloe and 3 year old sun conure Joe Joe
Khloe 15 year old orange wing amazon
My conure Joe Joe loves to pull hair out of arms. At first he would preen them and the hair on my head but now he loves to rip them out lol. It don't bother me much but when a man holds him i always warn them first.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Merlin likes feet too. For a different reason, he has picked that as my most "mateable" feature. lol Yes, my boy is a foot man.

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
My eclectus likes to turn his head upside down and look at you that way.
My ringneck likes to run around in circles on the floor.
My cockatoo has chosen my father to be his newest "boyfriend" (My poor father has been thrown up on and his hand has been "violated" many times)
My conure is my only normal boy. LOL

birdybabies

Aug 4, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Billy & Finley (Budgies)
Malakai (Blue Quaker)
Murphy (Green Quaker)
Rhyly (Cockatiel)
Oakley (IRN)
Disco (Lovebird)
My tiel and cinn gcc like to pick the scabs of any sores on my arms and hands, Ouch! The tiel, only recently has decided to become an epilator and try and pull hairs out of my arms too.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
My parrot NEVER does odd things. He just sits there and looks stately.

Just kidding! He tries to mate with me all the time (mostly my hands, sometimes my shoulder), and even tried it with my boyfriend the other night. Maybe I have a bisexual birdy. (We do discourage it, he just keeps trying!)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lmao nut likes the feet, i always thought they might be like a salt lick type thing lol

she does odd things all the time, like this morning i had to run up stairs for something fast an my step daughters little girl shouted up, nana sue, nuts on my shoulder, (in the cutest irish accent) fearing for asha's safety (asha is one brave little girl, nuts bitten her before) when i got down stairs i could see nut was happy sat there being good!!! and then she stepped up for me! am i nervous of my bird?? YES especially after last nights chomping she did on my arm!

i still wont trust nut around any child/teenager and do try to keep her caged when they are about, or not have them about when its her out of cage time

oh another thing she does is, she will perch, hang on this picture we have in kitchen and just squark as if to say *ha ha i'm on it again!!! so i have to swot her off it....

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
i fostered a lesser sulphur cockatoo for a few months and he used to take the curtains down! he unpicks the hooks one by one and he did it EVERYDAY!! in the end i left them down LOL

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i fostered a lesser sulphur cockatoo for a few months and he used to take the curtains down! he unpicks the hooks one by one and he did it EVERYDAY!! in the end i left them down LOL

lol thats nuts fav pass time when out of the cage

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Our bird do some really cute things for sure. Today, as hurricane Irene is outside, Cricket was playing with his little bell so much that he ended up feeding it. Regurgitation to a toy is common among our feathered friends but it was so so cute to watch.

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
Max has a fascination with toes, but what that fascination is, I haven't been brave enough to allow her to explore yet. After I got my Amazon, we went to the breeder's home and my mom wears flip-flops all the time. Well, a Macaw decided that my mom's toe looked like a nut and decided to chase her feet. And I haven't ever gotten over that memory, so my toes are mine and they're off limits :) I can let her out of the cage and I will sit on the bed. If I want her to come to me, all I have to do is have my foot out of the blanket, and perhaps wiggle a toe. She'll look intently at my toes and then fly over, and as I hear her take off, I hide my foot quickly under the cover. LOL

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
Other interesting things Max does....

She attacks ears, both mine and my boyfriend's.

Jon, my boyfriend, is 6'4" so Max sees him as a huge tree. :) She will land on his shoulder and preen his hair, but she'll attempt to bite his ear.

If I am letting Max out, I have come to the conclusion that I have to wear my hair down. Number one, she hates my hair bows (I make cute ones, and maybe she is jealous because she doesn't have one of her own... I am not sure...) so if I am going to spend time with her, I have to take the hair bands out. Then I just take all my hair down, so she doesn't see my ear. But she also likes my glasses, they have rhinestones on the side... and she will attempt to go after them!

punkpoppyparrot

Aug 24, 2011
Holiday, FL
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Buddy, our B&G Macaw will hold one of his wings straight out and tuck his head up inside upside down and look at you. I think its adorable. He will also hang by his beak at the top of his cage and pump his wings. Not sure what that means. But he does it! LOL!!

pawsfoot

Jul 19, 2010
Media
Brooksville, FL
Parrots
1 Eclectus Parrot (Ezmerelda), 1 Patagonian Conure (Peanut)
My Eclectus Ezmerelda has a fascination with finernails, she wants to just kind of chew on them but not hard. It's kind of like she is almost licking them. I wash my hands with not scented soap everytime I handle her so it's not like she is tasting food, but she just sticks her tongue out and licks them (WEIRDO). She also thinks it is funny to look at me with her head upside down. Pretty much everything she does is a little odd.

MominNC

Sep 2, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet (parrot)
My Alexandrine has some interesting habits. Hairbands with a plastic fastener she finds fascinating. I lost several in past two weeks. I outsmarted her to get the smooth sort without beginning or end. Nothing to grab and pull. If my hair is up in a band tied into a bun? She sticks her beak in the center and shakes her head for all shes's worth until my hair has fallen. Then she grabs the band and pulls that until I scold her and twist it back up. Next is ears, she starts closest to my head and nibble licks all the way around. At reaching my ear lobe that just has to have a pinch in her birdie wisdom. Next is my nose she nibble licks all way down from bridge to tip. She'll grab my lips and worm that beak between all so she can bang her beak on my lower teeth. It doesn't hurt but sure feels weird.
Fingernails must be pulled on, lifted up as far she can get them until I chirp an OW! Then she moves to the next one to repeat. I've trimmed my nails very short on account of her odd grooming. She grooms my hair from perched atop my head. And strangest of all? Any drink bottle with a cap? That cap is hers. The connecting ring as well she isn't happy until shes worked that off. Drink cans? Funnest thing ever to grab the opening with top beak and puncture the aluminum with bottom beak so my next sip I get wet.

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Our little Conure, Franklin...well, he must LOVE the odor of my spouses socks/feet sometimes after he takes his shoes off. ROFLOL!!

Hubby will sit and put his feet up and Franklin always walks down his leg, explores his socks, climbs to the top of his toes (hubbies toes pointing up) He'll put one foot on each big toe (socks on) Bop his head attempting to regurgitate then apparently he's "mating" and my hubby will wiggle his toes and Franklin just goes nuts, bobbing his head like he's going to regurgitate (but doesn't) and wiggles his rump around. If we let it, this behavior will go on consistently for about 15 or 20 minutes! Franklin trying to balance on my hubbies wiggling toes, while faking regurgitation and rocking his "hips" ROFLOL!!

It's about the funniest thing ever, flippin' hillarious!

Toni

Most Reactions