Do Parrots get tired of “Foods”?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
My Conure is 5 years old and I try to feed him a variety of fresh fruits and vegs. He is picky as he will not touch certain greens. I’ve tried birdie breads, chop, etc. and he isn’t interested. I realize you’re supposed to keep trying but I’m a retired senior on a fixed income and some of these items are expensive.
His favorite food is apple and he gets a small slice every day. A couple months ago, I had him try sugar snap and snow peas and he absolutely loved them. He then pushed aside his apple to get to the peas. He enjoys tearing open the outer shell to get to the peas. He almost looks addicted to them. He enjoys them so much that I decided to plant quite a few snap pea plants so I can give him truly organic peas.
However, a few days ago (the day I planted the peas) he has not been eating them. He might pick at them a little but he seems to not want them any longer.
Do our birds get tired of foods like people do? Do they go through phase?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yes. They absolutely do. They definitely go through phases, and it's kind of a moving target as to what they like on any given day. After four years, my YNA suddenly decided that broccoli isn't evil, but will only eat it if it's slightly cooked, just enough to turn bright green, but still be crunchy. My grey loved carrots for a while when I first got him, but he had never been given anything but seed mix and peanuts, and now they get tossed most of the time in favor of grapes. 🙄

I'm wondering if your bird will be back to enjoying the snap peas by the time they're ready to harvest. :)

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Yes. They absolutely do. They definitely go through phases, and it's kind of a moving target as to what they like on any given day. After four years, my YNA suddenly decided that broccoli isn't evil, but will only eat it if it's slightly cooked, just enough to turn bright green, but still be crunchy. My grey loved carrots for a while when I first got him, but he had never been given anything but seed mix and peanuts, and now they get tossed most of the time in favor of grapes. 🙄

I'm wondering if your bird will be back to enjoying the snap peas by the time they're ready to harvest. :)
I feel so sorry for him as I want to give him a nice variety of foods but just can’t seem to find what he wants.
And yes…hopefully he’ll come back to the peas at harvest since I planted about 15 plants AND THAT EQUATES TO ABOUT 50 lbs of peas! I was even going to preserve them through canning, freezing, etc…

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Yessss.
We use to make and feed our birds birdy bread.
lot of work to make but they enjoy it.
for maybe a year.
then they stopped eating it.
tried various recipes but no go.

this is why I don’t give my birds veggies every day, don’t want them to get tired of them.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
My Conure is 5 years old and I try to feed him a variety of fresh fruits and vegs. He is picky as he will not touch certain greens. I’ve tried birdie breads, chop, etc. and he isn’t interested. I realize you’re supposed to keep trying but I’m a retired senior on a fixed income and some of these items are expensive.
His favorite food is apple and he gets a small slice every day. A couple months ago, I had him try sugar snap and snow peas and he absolutely loved them. He then pushed aside his apple to get to the peas. He enjoys tearing open the outer shell to get to the peas. He almost looks addicted to them. He enjoys them so much that I decided to plant quite a few snap pea plants so I can give him truly organic peas.
However, a few days ago (the day I planted the peas) he has not been eating them. He might pick at them a little but he seems to not want them any longer.
Do our birds get tired of foods like people do? Do they go through phase?
I feel the same way with JJ. One day he might love something and the next, he throws it away while making dramatic gagging noises! Hopefully your bird will start liking peas again. I do find that sometimes taking a little break from feeding something can make my birds more interested in it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts