Do parrots like mealworms?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I did a search and nothing came up immediately on the first page....do conures and quakers like mealworms?

Briburd

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
Iā€™ve offered a superworm to Mojito a few times. (I have a leopard gecko so I buy them frequently)He mostly just plays with it. Crunches it a few times. Takes a lick and then is on to the next new and exciting thing. He attempted to clean the guts off his beak on me and now I really think twice about offering it up again. Mostly for my sake. lol IMO itā€™s fun enrichment to at least try once.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
TY

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I've seen a channel on YT feeding her birds live meal worms.

Meal worms are perfectly safe and healthy. If you don't like the idea of live feeding, you can buy freeze dried meal worms.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I've seen a channel on YT feeding her birds live meal worms.

Meal worms are perfectly safe and healthy. If you don't like the idea of live feeding, you can buy freeze dried meal worms.
I have my own mealworm farm. It's pretty easy. There are YouTube videos that cover it well.

Mealworms are very nutritiousā€”if they are raised well. A lot of places feed them junk mail, for example, which contains plastics. Or, they feed them vegetables or grains that are not certified-organic, thus contains pesticides. That is why I farm my own.

Most of my parrots found live, moving food to be quite strange at first! They've likely never seen live food before. It helps a lot when one sees another parrot eat a mealworm. Some will bite it instinctively, then release it.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have my own mealworm farm. It's pretty easy. There are YouTube videos that cover it well.

Mealworms are very nutritiousā€”if they are raised well. A lot of places feed them junk mail, for example, which contains plastics. Or, they feed them vegetables or grains that are not certified-organic, thus contains pesticides. That is why I farm my own.

Most of my parrots found live, moving food to be quite strange at first! They've likely never seen live food before. It helps a lot when one sees another parrot eat a mealworm. Some will bite it instinctively, then release it.
Mealworms are supposed to be the new untapped protein source. I have seen articles about my cityā€™s university making mealworm shakes and cookies through the agriculture program. But Iā€™m not eager to try it (especially not the shakes). I have sampled a number of experimental ice creams at the U but doubt I would try mealworms or black fly larvae. I hope the planet is never that hungry.

Have you ever consumed them?

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Nope, never had one.

Last edited:

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Mealworms are supposed to be the new untapped protein source. I have seen articles about my cityā€™s university making mealworm shakes and cookies through the agriculture program. But Iā€™m not eager to try it (especially not the shakes). I have sampled a number of experimental ice creams at the U but doubt I would try mealworms or black fly larvae. I hope the planet is never that hungry.

Have you ever consumed them?
I never thought to try them myself. :unsure: But, now I must. To get the most of the experience, I will do so in front of a parrot that will not try them, hoping they will follow my lead. šŸ˜

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

My Lucy Quaker used to wail and cry when there was a live insect near her cage. What a chicken! I would have to find the insect and kill it to calm her down.

I have read that wild Quakers are known to eat small lizards but I bet they would rather have a nice piece of pizza or popcorn.

ā€¦itā€™s time for me to brush my teeth VERY THIROUGHLY. šŸ˜

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts