Do your birds have boogers???

Kiwiwade

Aug 30, 2011
Hawaii
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus : Po
Sorry if you are reading this while eating.....

I just noticed today that my baby Blue Headed Pionus has some dark green thing in one of her nostrils. Looks like a booger! I noticed while we were in the bright sun and her face was close to mine today, but I'm sure she didn't have this a week ago....can it be nasal discharge or really, booger?? It looks like the color of her poop, but not like runny discharge. Small little ball like appearance. I cannot think of any food item with that color she eats except for possibly broccoli? She does not show any other sign of illness ( weight loss, sneezing, coughing, fluffed up feather...etc..) but I read online that parrots do not have boogers...

Anyone have any idea??

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
Im not sure if if this is the case in your situation but birds quite often get seed etc stuck in there cere
Usually they dislodge it with a toenail or vigorous sneezing - if this doesnt work you may need to keep an eye on it and get it flushed by vet, as if lodged in there they can bceome septic and abscess
Keep an eye one it!

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
I'd have it checked out for sure by an avian vet! It could be something lodged in the nares. I've also seen some horrific photos of birds with 'stones,' so it's probably best to get to a vet.

My motto: when in doubt, see the vet.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I do know that some parrots have what looks like a plug (operculum) inside the cere to help prevent inhalation of foreign bodies.

Nasal discharge would be noticed. However keep an eye on it if there is any redness or swelling straight to the Vet.

OP
K

Kiwiwade

Aug 30, 2011
Hawaii
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus : Po
This is why I am so happy to be part of forum like this! All of you are so helpful! Thank you.

But, Pedro may be right because I checked again today and the thing I'm talking about in pretty deep inside, not like plugging her cere and if you shine the bright light you can see them in both side, but her ceres are both little holes. I think one is slightly larger in appearance. It does not look like discharge of any sorts.
I will monitor her for a few days and will talk to vet if necessary.
Since Poe is the biggest bird I've ever owned, I guess I never notice inside of their nose looks like and I love Poe too much that I'm bit of paranoid...lol

Love my booger girl....

Most Reactions

Latest posts