Does freezing veggies destroy nutrients?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hi, everyone. I've been feeding chop mix to my bird for over 5 years. Mostly made of veggies, fruits, grains, etc. When I make a big batch I'd freeze 1-2 months worth. I thaw a bag in the refrigerator before serving.

I've always wondered if the nutritional value takes a big hit when I keep the chop mix frozen that long?

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I honestly don't know, but I hope not. I do the same thing for my birds. With my schedule it's the best way to make sure I always have chop ready for them in case I'm short on time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
We may not have much to worry about. I came across a good read and there seems to be a generally accepted fact that veggies / fruits do not lose nutritional value when frozen properly. In fact, some argue that some pre-packaged frozen veggies are healthier than open, fresh veggies because they were frozen after picking, right when they are at their freshest. This was a surprise to me!

Was wondering if anyone else who does mash noticed a difference?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I do not think so if you buy, prepare and freeze the freshest produce available.
If you take it out and it isnt that good then go through your process and ingredients, there will be a reason.

I made one batch that included some beetroot and it was a little soggy when defrosted, Plum was none too impressed with it. It was a rather large batch :-(
Anyway I tried it on the RB2 youngster I have for holidays and he liked it, got absolutely covered in it. His mum took some home, his Nana kept asking what was wrong with him as he was covered in red stuff LOL. The rest hit the bin! You live and learn.

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
Honestly, I always freeze my fruit and veggies before they hit the cages. It doesn't destroy nutrients, in fact, buying a bag of frozen veggies is fresher and healthier than buying the raw veggies themselves, so I highly doubt that freezing some birdie chop would destroy nutrients.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

Lacewing

Feb 16, 2017
USA
Parrots
Murphy Jr. English Budgie
Some of the vegetable nutrient loss may occur in the cooking process. Best if you want them cooked is to steamed. Dehydrated veggies do retain some nutrients also. To help deal with the sogginess of the veggies when thawed try draining them before freezing them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts