Dog Barking inhibitors

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
The neighbors behind us have two dogs that bark non-stop all day and worse, all night.

I've read of a fairly good "Inhibitor" that detects the barking and puts out a high frequency tone, not heard by the human ear, that curtails the barking. Product has excellent reviews.

The product would be at the back of the house directed away from our house.

Mac ( B&G Macaw) is in the front bedroom, in the opposite direction of the unit.

Should I have concerns regarding Mac being annoyed by this tone? Do birds perceive high frequency tones?

Thanks!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Why don't you call the city up about the barking? They go by to give them a warning for barking too much. If it goes on, you could take them to court with animal patrol on your side. You will most likely win the case. I had to do that with my neighbor. They finally got rid of the dog. If you tie a dog in your backyard 24/7 why do you have one?

OP
azdesertrhino

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Why don't you call the city up about the barking? They go by to give them a warning for barking too much. If it goes on, you could take them to court with animal patrol on your side. You will most likely win the case. I had to do that with my neighbor. They finally got rid of the dog. If you tie a dog in your backyard 24/7 why do you have one?

The city enforcement in Tucson is pitiful. I have been advised that after 3 complaints the city will send an investigator out. After that, the 2 parties meet with an arbitrator. After that, if the issue is not resolved, it can go to civil court. At that point, the offending party can be fined $50.00. 2nd guilty finding, $150.00, Third guilty finding $250.

The unit costs about $100. I'd lose more than that jumping through hoops to play the bureaucratic nonsense game.

I do agree about leaving the dogs outside constantly, it is not good for the animal at all!

Ozzy

Sep 28, 2010
Orlando
Parrots
Ozzy- 5 year old Dna'd male Blue Front Amazon
I live in a townhouse and my neighbors dog gets crated at night (in their house) and barks the entire night. I cant hear it but its directly on the opposite side of my guest room so guests have complained. So I bought a barking inhibitor and I turn it on when I have guests and so far so good. I watched Ozzy to see if it bothered him but he doesnt seem to notice it at all. However, he is in my bedroom at night and I only use it occasionally. If you are going to use it constantly I would keep a good eye on your bird to see if he can hear it. Good luck.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.

The city enforcement in Tucson is pitiful. I have been advised that after 3 complaints the city will send an investigator out. After that, the 2 parties meet with an arbitrator. After that, if the issue is not resolved, it can go to civil court. At that point, the offending party can be fined $50.00. 2nd guilty finding, $150.00, Third guilty finding $250.

The unit costs about $100. I'd lose more than that jumping through hoops to play the bureaucratic nonsense game.

I do agree about leaving the dogs outside constantly, it is not good for the animal at all!

I feel ya there...they're not much better here....

Irissama

Feb 11, 2011
Parrots
4 Budgerigars, 1 Kakariki
Personally I don't think there'll be any damage done to your bird from it. I doubt these things would get a good rep very long if it were to wreck the hearing of all the little birdies outside (and inside).

OP
azdesertrhino

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Thanks for the input everyone.

Funny thing, since I posted up the other day, I've barely heard a sound from the dogs.

Maybe someone else has purchased a unit already! :D

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Instead of your municple animal control, can you contact the SPCA? They may have more resources to address the neglect of the dogs.

The poor things are barking because, to them, any attention is good attention even if they're just getting yelled at. Granted this doesn't make it easier for you to live with and you shouldn't have to.

Most Reactions

Latest posts