Don't have a bird yet, thought it is is a good time to get info!

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
i 101% disagree with leaving the bird to ''settle in'' leave the travel cage open and offer it to come out if it doesnt come it in about 1-2 hours take it out put it on a stand try to interact with it as much as possible if you put it in the cage and dont let it out the first day it will cling to the cage and see it as a safe spot and become very aggrisive when u try to interact with it in the cage
Oh I did not quite understand, could you put all the steps in pointers?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Yes I will. And could you give me advice on what to do when I get the bird home, the first few days so that I can take it form a bond with it?
i would spend as much time with the bird open its travel cage if he doesnt come out after 1-2 hours take it out and interact as much as possible but dont force him

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Oh I did not quite understand, could you put all the steps in pointers?
-open the cage door and offer the bird an oprutinity to come out

-if it doesnt come out in 1-2 hours take it out yourself

-interact with the bird as much as possible but dont force him to interact back

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
i would spend as much time with the bird open its travel cage if he doesnt come out after 1-2 hours take it out and interact as much as possible but dont force him
And will it not be uncomfortable if I try to take it out? How should I take it out? And should I not put it in the main cage from the travel cage and then follow your instructions!?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
And will it not be uncomfortable if I try to take it out? How should I take it out? And should I not put it in the main cage from the travel cage and then follow your instructions!?
dont introduce the main cage till bed time and if it doesnt want to come out lure it with treats a last resortis pulling the cage appart-forcing it out

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
dont introduce the main cage till bed time and if it doesnt want to come out lure it with treats a last resortis pulling the cage appart-forcing it out
Oh! This is something new! Alright. How about getting it to eat from my hands

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
And could other Conure owners pls put in their advice for me? All advice appreciated thanks!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Oh OK ok and what kind of diet should I feed a GCC when I get one?
depends on what diet u get it in
on seed diet: keep it for 1-2 weeks then start diet conversion
on pellet diet: offer vegies
on a good diet: keep it going as long as possible

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
depends on what diet u get it in
on seed diet: keep it for 1-2 weeks then start diet conversion
on pellet diet: offer vegies
on a good diet: keep it going as long as possible
Oh OK, so maybe I will give it seed for the first few days then slowly start transitioning to pellets and then I will give him pellets veggies and everything else. And how many meals should a bird eat in a day? Should I feed it 3 meals(breakfast lunch and dinner) as usual or should it be lesser or should it be more?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Oh OK, so maybe I will give it seed for the first few days then slowly start transitioning to pellets and then I will give him pellets veggies and everything else. And how many meals should a bird eat in a day? Should I feed it 3 meals(breakfast lunch and dinner) as usual or should it be lesser or should it be more?
depends on the bird thats a quastion to ask an avian vet

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
How about socialization? When I go to physical school(that is not happening soon it is going to be online for a long time) I want my bird to be fine with my parents feeding it and playing with it so that it doesn't have to be alone while I'm gone. So how should I socialize my bird?

Note: I don't have a bird yet so I just want all advice and I see that TikiTiel is being super helpful but I know that every bird is an individual and so I want to get advice from owners with GCCs of many different personalities so that whatever personality my bird has I will be able to deal with it. Pls all Conure owners, I want to give this bird the best life I can offer. I am living in an apartment and I have online school. I am 11 years old. Now that you know my situation you can give me advice on the GCC?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
How about socialization? When I go to physical school(that is not happening soon it is going to be online for a long time) I want my bird to be fine with my parents feeding it and playing with it so that it doesn't have to be alone while I'm gone. So how should I socialize my bird?

Note: I don't have a bird yet so I just want all advice and I see that TikiTiel is being super helpful but I know that every bird is an individual and so I want to get advice from owners with GCCs of many different personalities. Pls all Conure owners, I want to give this bird the best life I can offer. I am living in an apartment and I have online school. I am 11 years old. Now that you know my situation you can give me advice on the GCC?
11 seems too young for conures (im not saying that your a kid) but conures are sometimes very nippy (espiesclly my sun) it is ok to own a nippy bird at 11 i had a macaw at the age of 10 but it will be a bit hard to hanlde siutioations might as well warn you about the hormonal season conures are very bad pets for peaople under 12 i might be very wrong and a gcc might suit you but just my advise

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
Oh and also do you think a GCC will be able to live a good life with my situation: 11 years old, online school, apartment. I want the bird to be okay with my parents interacting with it and handling it.

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
11 seems too young for conures (im not saying that your a kid) but conures are sometimes very nippy (espiesclly my sun) it is ok to own a nippy bird at 11 i had a macaw at the age of 10 but it will be a bit hard to hanlde siutioations might as well warn you about the hormonal season conures are very bad pets for peaople under 12 i might be very wrong and a gcc might suit you but just my advise
Yes this is exactly what I have heard that conures are not for kids but I have done tons of research and I am ok with biting bc I know it will happen at some point. But I have gone through every single detail and I have only been attracted to these birds. Now that you have read this could you give me your opinion and if you think a GCC is not right for me so what bird do you think is right for me?

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
Oh and also do you think a GCC will be able to live a good life with my situation: 11 years old, online school, apartment. I want the bird to be okay with my parents interacting with it and handling it.
I am also ok with cleaning up lots of poop and cleaning up lots of messses.

Most Reactions

Latest posts