duming the food bowl

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
dumping the food bowl

so for the last couple of days remington has dumped his food dish, he has done this in the a.m. with his pellets and in the afternoon with /veggiesfruit...my husband says i shouldnt refill and just feed him again at the next meal, what do you think?? he had never done this prior to the other day

Last edited:

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
belfast, northern ireland
Parrots
vincent-b/g macaw archie-alexandrine and coming in june greenwing macaw and millitary macaw this year too fingers crossed
try not let him see u react to it or he be thinking its new game lol but yea i would just leave it to his next meal.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
My eclectus do the same. I have replaced their feed bowls with larger heavy ceramic dog bowls & just place them on the bottom of the cage. They can't pick them up & tip the food out.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Ms. Jadie Jade McJadiepants dumps her pellet bowl when she's throwing a bit of a temper tantrum. She doens't dump the veggies and fruit because she likes them better and doesn't want to waste them. We don't refill them right away since she has other food available, but we do refill at the next feeding time.

She'll also dump the food bowls on the perches if she's annoyed with us or Max or Ruby. The dogs like it when she does that because they get the spoils - that is unless she dropps the bowl on one one of their heads.

For her, it's truly a tantrum behavior so she doesn't get "rewarded" for it.

OP
triordan

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
well he did it again tonight and this time it was his oatmeal which he loves...he doesnt go to the bottom of the cage so thats not an option, i ss bowl that is in the cage didnt come wit the cage its a replacement i found at petsmart...guess its a tad too small

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
Tori used to dump his food and water all the time so I got him a bowl that attaches to the side of the cage (its actually technically a gunea pig food bowl, but it works better than the bird food bowls I've had) It screws on the side like a perch or toy and there is a little leaver that you pull to unlock the dish so you can pull it out to clean or refill. Maybe one of those would help?

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Parrots are not real big on consequences. Their world is one big playground to them. Just look at how they eat. They probably only ingest about 1/4 of what they put in their mouths. It must be nice to not have to make the most of your resources haha.

I really doubt you'll be able to make him stop. Just do what others have said and get him an untippable bowl.

BTW, Gandalf used to express his displeasure with me by throwing his food. If I tried to offer him a treat when he was grumpy or something, he would usually take it from my hand and throw it. If I refused to let him do it, taking it back and putting it in his food bowl for later, he would go to the food bowl, and using the side of his beak as a shovel, throw all of his food out of it, usually pausing every few swipes to glare at me. He wanted me to know this was all my fault. LOL

What a brat he could be.

As for Bitty, she just cries if she doesn't what she wants.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Parrots are not real big on consequences. Their world is one big playground to them. Just look at how they eat. They probably only ingest about 1/4 of what they put in their mouths. It must be nice to not have to make the most of your resources haha.

I really doubt you'll be able to make him stop. Just do what others have said and get him an untippable bowl.

BTW, Gandalf used to express his displeasure with me by throwing his food. If I tried to offer him a treat when he was grumpy or something, he would usually take it from my hand and throw it. If I refused to let him do it, taking it back and putting it in his food bowl for later, he would go to the food bowl, and using the side of his beak as a shovel, throw all of his food out of it, usually pausing every few swipes to glare at me. He wanted me to know this was all my fault. LOL

What a brat he could be.

As for Bitty, she just cries if she doesn't what she wants.

Actually I agree with the past postings! Refill on the next feeding schedule. When I fill it I don't put as much. They learn! Mine does it and it becomes a game of hissy fit if you refill it, they throw it all out again. By me refilling on next round and cut the amount down, there has been no waste. They would do it every so often. Matter of fact Dixie started doing that again a few days ago....my partner don't listen and give in...I have to take over feeding until she stops.

Sometimes it does not matter if you secure the dish, they use their beak and push everything out. But a secured dish is needed cause they would think its fun to throw the bowl down.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Merlins doing this too. My husband has gone back to work & we are on a stricter regiment. When he got home the other night, Merlin picked up his veggie dish & hurled it from the cage. My husband the seed junkie enabler. lol

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They think they're doing the bird some good but they made their habits worse....lol.... My partner and I have gotten into some pretty nasty arguments over bad habits. Its not easy to teach them good habits when the other person isn't helping you to enforce it. :/

Most Reactions