Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.
everything from tops is okay.

Agree with owlet completely. The big bags you have (volkmans, etc) can be given as treats - or as a topper to your fruit and veg. Not a main meal, mind you. The soak and serves can also be treats.

Throw out the Zupreme immediately.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH... AND VERY MUCH APPRECIATE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!

I have trashed most of those items last night. Went to Sprouts market, picked up some goodies Organic veggies... I woke up at 4am... chopping those veggies and made into two bowls... She walked out off her cage was looking at me like... WHERE ARE MY JUNK FOODS???????

Took her minutes for her to slowly walk to her healthy foods. :rolleyes:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Yeah, when I got Lincoln he was on a diet of pizza crusts and fruitblend zupreem for cockatiels... it wasn't great. It took some convincing to get him to eat chop but he loves it now. Once you get the tops I find it helpful sometimes to make the bread and mix it in with his chop to encourage him to eat it. Especially with new batches of chop because at first he's reluctant to eat it lol

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Completely off topic...

but why do you feel the need to "shout" in all your posts?
Huge fonts, lots of colours & contrasts etc.etc.
I am not understanding your choice- of course they are your posts and your way of expressing yourself, but I find I skip your comments because it hurts my eyes and frankly annoys the ### out of me. (Shouting is rude and completely unnecessary / just mho.)
I know, completely unfair to you, because you probably also have valid and sensible suggestions and deserve answers to your questions etc.etc. ...but I find I cannot do it.
So if I ever give you the idea I do not like you or pass over anything you've brougt to this forum ...it's just because I cannot bear to read your comments. Sorry.

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
completely off topic...

But why do you feel the need to "shout" in all your posts?
Huge fonts, lots of colours & contrasts etc.etc.
I am not understanding your choice- of course they are your posts and your way of expressing yourself, but i find i skip your comments because it hurts my eyes and frankly annoys the ### out of me. (shouting is rude and completely unnecessary / just mho.)
i know, completely unfair to you, because you probably also have valid and sensible suggestions and deserve answers to your questions etc.etc. ...but i find i cannot do it.
So if i ever give you the idea i do not like you or pass over anything you've brougt to this forum ...it's just because i cannot bear to read your comments. Sorry.

ok.. ^_^ :D

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Make sure you sign up with TOPS! They now have some good deals that they offered from time to time! Store in freezer!

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Make sure you sign up with TOPS! They now have some good deals that they offered from time to time! Store in freezer!

Aye, aye Sir. :)

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Store made bird bread in the fridge but the pellets do not need to be.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
...But if you can go the full sprouting procedure for a couple days, then cook for 20 minutes you will release a ton of very healthy nutrients that otherwise wouldn’t be available.

All the sprouting without the bacterial question marks.

Are you saying that cooking for 20 minutes (at what flame? Low, medium?) will release even more nutrition from sprouts than would feeding them living and uncooked? Or just that the tradeoff is worth it for eliminating the "bacterial question marks"? I haven't really heard/read much as regards cooking sprouts.

Heedless, sorry I'm a bit late to respond to this thread. I'm glad you got rid of the junkier foods and colorful pellets. From what I've heard, Tops tends to be among the better pellets for ekkies if you're going to go the pelleted route. Personally I feed my birds mostly fresh foods. Here is a copy and paste of what I feed my Eclectic Duo, as always edited to reflect changes in my approach:

I tend to provide between 6 and 8 types of food per feeding (2 meals per day), weighted heavily toward the veggie side as only 1 of the food selections in a given meal is a fruit.
Various sprouts, carrots (very important due to the high content of beta carotene - precursor to Vitamin A), bell peppers (red, yellow, orange and green), jalapeno peppers, Jamaican Scotch bonnet peppers, chili peppers, squash (butternut, green and yellow), pumpkin (also high in Vitamin A), blueberries and pomegranates (both among the most nutritious of fruits), snap peas, broccoli (high in calcium), cactus pears, persimmon, starfruit, bananas, grapes, kale, turnips, radishes, brown rice, quinoa, cucumbers, endives, dandelion (nutritional powerhouse offered at every meal when seasonally available), sweet potato (cooked), red swiss chard, granny smith apples, papaya (don’t go too heavy on this, as it is a diarrhetic), African horned melon, hominy, oatmeal (sans sugar or flavoring), kiwi, barley, calendula flowers, fennel, chocho beans and garbanzo beans, as well as Volkman's Fancy Soak and Simmer for the majority of their legumes and grains.

For food accents I'll add one or two types of the following as well: star anise, milk thistle, elder berries, rose hips, hibiscus, bee pollen and chamomile flowers.

Twice a month, I'll give some hard-boiled egg (with the crushed shell for calcium). Slightly more frequently during a molt.

For their training treats they get an assortment of unsalted nuts (one to three per bird in a given day, broken into small pieces and fed as rewards during the training sessions). And for their "goodnight treat", up to a teaspoon or two of seeds.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
The master parser:)

Well played sir, Perhaps I should clarify,

Depending on the nutrient, cooking can actually make it more available. But I must be clear: BLANCHING does this (rolling boil for not more than approximately 90 seconds). It’s particularly great for water soluble vitamins such as beta carotene/vitamin a. Blanching most of your veggies, particularly leafy veggies, is the proper way to prepare them for frozen storage, btw. So win-win.

A full rolling boil for 25 minutes can damage much of this gain...but not all.

The sprouting is what releases the novel nutrients. The boiling kills potential bacteria and does have the effect of offseting a lot of the nutritional gain. But not all. I’d happily wager you’re still left with more nutritional diversity value than if you just “cook the lentils”.

And I’ll freely admit I have no idea if blanching is sufficient for SPROUTED lentils or not. It’s absolutely not enough cooking for them when they are dry. So I’m also being extra cautious here.

Last edited:
OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
...But if you can go the full sprouting procedure for a couple days, then cook for 20 minutes you will release a ton of very healthy nutrients that otherwise wouldn’t be available.

All the sprouting without the bacterial question marks.

Are you saying that cooking for 20 minutes (at what flame? Low, medium?) will release even more nutrition from sprouts than would feeding them living and uncooked? Or just that the tradeoff is worth it for eliminating the "bacterial question marks"? I haven't really heard/read much as regards cooking sprouts.

Heedless, sorry I'm a bit late to respond to this thread. I'm glad you got rid of the junkier foods and colorful pellets. From what I've heard, Tops tends to be among the better pellets for ekkies if you're going to go the pelleted route. Personally I feed my birds mostly fresh foods. Here is a copy and paste of what I feed my Eclectic Duo, as always edited to reflect changes in my approach:

I tend to provide between 6 and 8 types of food per feeding (2 meals per day), weighted heavily toward the veggie side as only 1 of the food selections in a given meal is a fruit.
Various sprouts, carrots (very important due to the high content of beta carotene - precursor to Vitamin A), bell peppers (red, yellow, orange and green), jalapeno peppers, Jamaican Scotch bonnet peppers, chili peppers, squash (butternut, green and yellow), pumpkin (also high in Vitamin A), blueberries and pomegranates (both among the most nutritious of fruits), snap peas, broccoli (high in calcium), cactus pears, persimmon, starfruit, bananas, grapes, kale, turnips, radishes, brown rice, quinoa, cucumbers, endives, dandelion (nutritional powerhouse offered at every meal when seasonally available), sweet potato (cooked), red swiss chard, granny smith apples, papaya (don’t go too heavy on this, as it is a diarrhetic), African horned melon, hominy, oatmeal (sans sugar or flavoring), kiwi, barley, calendula flowers, fennel, chocho beans and garbanzo beans, as well as Volkman's Fancy Soak and Simmer for the majority of their legumes and grains.

For food accents I'll add one or two types of the following as well: star anise, milk thistle, elder berries, rose hips, hibiscus, bee pollen and chamomile flowers.

Twice a month, I'll give some hard-boiled egg (with the crushed shell for calcium). Slightly more frequently during a molt.

For their training treats they get an assortment of unsalted nuts (one to three per bird in a given day, broken into small pieces and fed as rewards during the training sessions). And for their "goodnight treat", up to a teaspoon or two of seeds.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Sir **Hugs** **CHUUUUUUU**

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Ah. Gotcha, Chris. Thanks. I do want to get more into sprouting than I currently am. I've successfully sprouted lentils thus far, but I'm looking to increase the variety of sprouts offered for my Eclectic Duo. So anything sprout-related immediately gets my attention, nowadays.

And you're welcome, Heedless! I hope it helps!

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots

Dose the coconut oil good for Eclectus?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thank you!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
I personally feel that its is good... in moderation. It can be very helpful getting otherwise finicky eaters to try healthier foods, as they tend to love the taste. But just use a little as an accent for the food.

I also only use virgin or extra virgin coconut oil.

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
I personally feel that its is good... in moderation. It can be very helpful getting otherwise finicky eaters to try healthier foods, as they tend to love the taste. But just use a little as an accent for the food.

I also only use virgin or extra virgin coconut oil.

Thank you Sir.

I will do the extra virgin coconut oil.

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
I seriously need HELP!!!!!!
The last four days, Kise has been attacking me by biting HARD. She doesn’t want to step up, and just biting.
It gets worst when she is in the bottom of her cage. Every time I go to clean, she’s attacking with her feathers stand up. I don’t let her out freely fly for two days, I have her in
I don’t want to give up on her and giving her away. I want my SWEET BABY KISE back. I need help on what to do before I have to do so. This behavior hurt me the most.

Should I get a trainer and train her??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
how old is kise? can you post a picture of how her cage looks now?

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
how old is kise? can you post a picture of how her cage looks now?

There is no change in her cage. It has all her favorite toys surrounding. She is scare of me. I been having a guy coming to do a deep clean her cage every week; she was flying to him and not me; it was on Saturday since.

She is 1 year old.

I am hurt and crying right now. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.....

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Have you changed anything about yourself recently? (hair color, hair length, nail polish, makeup style, etc?)

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Have you changed anything about yourself recently? (hair color, hair length, nail polish, makeup style, etc?)

No. No change..
I did scared her by slapped her face when she attacking/biting me by surprised at first time. **SOB***

Most Reactions

Latest posts