Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.
WELL... I have had tried all kind of birdie breads... Baked with apple sauce and other sauces, even added more eggs. Not to her linking.

Now, I need help to find the best nature sunlight indoor for her...

PLEASE HELP me with the lights..

THANKS!!!!!!

**CHUUUUUUUUUU**

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
skip the artificial indoor sunlight. from my understanding it can cause hormonal problems and eclectus are already notorious for their hormone problems. If Kise isnt harness trained maybe look towards that or invest in a medium pak-o-bird and take her for walks on warm non-windy days. If you have the ability you can construct a screened in patio too that you and the bird can comfortable be in.

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Owlet is spot-on, skip the artificial lighting!!!

99% of the time when you add an artificial light over your birds because you think that they need the UVB light for one reason or another, such as Calcum/Vitamin D3 absorption and processing, etc., you end up actually doing harm to your bird's eyes, skin, or feathers, and giving them very little to absolutely no benefit at all...Unless you have a lot of education and experience in indoor lighting for animals then it's impossible to make an educated choice in lights, and in the end you realize that it's totally unnecessary for birds as long as they are being fed a healthy diet that includes fresh veggies and dark, leafy greens along with a staple-food that is high in protein and low in fat.

There are specific pets that cannot survive in captivity without special UVB lighting because their bodies do not possess the ability to absorb any Calcium without having their Vitamin D (specifically Vitamin D3) activated by either 10-12 hours underneath a proper strength and type of artifical UVB light, or by 2-3 hours each day of natural sunlight. Most of these pets are Reptiles, Amphibians, and some Primates such as Marmosets. Birds do not have any issue at all with using the Vitamin D in their diets to aid in the absorption of the Calcium and Phosphorous in their diets, just as long as they are being fed a diet that is rich in both Calcium, Phosphorous, and Vitamin D3. And most-all Avian Pellets and Seed-Mixes are purposely high in all 3, and if you're still worried about it the best and safest thing you can do is simply make sure your bird always has access to an Avian Mineral Block and Cuttlebone.

The benefit of putting your bird under an artificial UVB or "full spectrum" artificial light is just not worth the many risks...For example, most bird owners don't know that ALL UVB bulbs that are the "Spiral" type of bulbs actually emit very harmful ligth rays that are a byproduct of their manufacturing process, and these light rays regularly cause severe eye damage and blindness, skin damage including both Basal and Squamous Cell Cancers, and damage to their mucous membranes....And not only are all of the Spiral UVB bulbs dangerous, they actually emit very little overall UVB light at all (same goes for all of the Compact UVB bulbs, or the "regular lightbulb-shape UVB bulbs), even if you leave your bird underneath them for 12 hours a day, and your bird actually has to be extremely close to them for them to be at all beneficial, and having them that close to your bird for the amount of time necessary to be beneficial is extremely dangerous.

The only types of artifical UVB lights that are both safe and beneficial are the long UVB tube-lights that require a UVB tube-fixture, the Mercury Vapor Bulbs that emit both UVB light and heat, and then a few of the newer LED UVB lights, but only a very specific few...The safest and most effective ones are the UVB Tube-Lights, specifically those that are of the stronger T5 strength (T5 is much stronger than the T8), and of a 10.0 UVB output (anything lower than a 10.0 UVB output is useless, such as the 5.0, 3.0, 2.0, etc.)...And the 10.0 T5 UVB Tube-Lights are also effective from a good distance away, they don't have to be close to the animal/bird, and they can also penetrate through mesh/screen filters. In addition, the 10.0 T5 UVB Tube-Lights only have to be replaced once every 12 months, as the T8 and lower strength UVB tube lights have to be replaced once every 6 months because they stop emitting any UVB light at all at that age...

So basically if you want to go out and spend a good $60+ on an 18"-24" T5-rated Tube-Light fixture, and then spend around $40-$50 on a good 18"-24" 10.0 T5 UVB Tube, such as an Arcadia or a Reptisun 10.0 and replace it once every year, then you can do that, but for captive/pet parrots it's much easier and actually much more important to just simply make sure that you're feeding your pet parrots a high-protein, low-fat, low-sugar daily diet that contains lots of fresh veggies and dark, leafy greens, and add an Avian Mineral Block and a Cuttlebone to their cage...So instead of spending the money on an artificial UVB light and fixture and risking not getting one that is safe and isn't going to cause more harm than good, spend the money on making their daily diets better and finding different ways to get them daily exercise and active-foraging activities to keep them busy and give their brains a job to do...Much more important in birds than an artificial UVB light...

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Please help me with this product PLEASE! :rolleyes:

Does this one is OK for Kise?

fauna.jpg

Kise has been grind her beak at night before going to bed, is that normal??? Should I be worry? :confused: Her vet has said it's normal..... :confused:

For some reasons, she has not been bitten for the last two days.... **dances*** :D :51::51::51: She has been a very sweet girl... :51:

Maybe it was Kise that trained me, :D

THANKS!!!!!

**CHUUUUUUUUUUUU**

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

fauna.jpg

Kise has been grind her beak at night before going to bed, is that normal??? Should I be worry? :confused: Her vet has said it's normal..... :confused:

For some reasons, she has not been bitten for the last two days.... **dances*** :D :51::51::51: She has been a very sweet girl... :51:

Maybe it was Kise that trained me, :D

THANKS!!!!!

**CHUUUUUUUUUUUU**

Beak grinding before bed is healthy as far as I know...at least in most species (don't know about Eclectus)....If Kise wasn't doing it before, I would say this is a good sign...It is a normal behavior in most species as far as I am aware. Mine is doing it as we speak because I just had a loud phone conversation! lol

Last edited:
OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Beak grinding before bed is healthy as far as I know...at least in most species (don't know about Eclectus)....If Kise wasn't doing it before, I would say this is a good sign...It is a normal behavior in most species as far as I am aware. Mine is doing it as we speak because I just had a loud phone conversation! lol

Thanks Dear~ *HUGS**
She was grinding her beak before... I don't recall it everyday.... but now is more often... So I was worry!

**CHUUUUUUU**

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots

fauna.jpg

THANKS!!!!!

**CHUUUUUUUUUUUU**

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Harrison's is eh none of their food is really suitable for eclectus so I can't imagine their other stuff will be much better. it also says "cultured on corn" and I 100% don't know.what that means but anything corn is an immediate turn off for me xD
The benebac gel is safe though and Lincoln gets it daily. It comes in 15 doses a tube. Lincoln is really good about taking it, he just licks it right up but he was also good with taking medicine from a syringe from the get-go so Kise might be different.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Looked back over the responses from before that I'd missed. (It's been a rather hectic year for me.) I know next to nothing for certain when it comes to the lighting debate, and so found the posts by Owlet and Ellen VERY interesting. I've checked into it somewhat, though I haven't delved too deep just yet. I've seen compelling arguments both ways regarding whether or not the light has much or any benefit, though nothing definitive either way. But the possibility that there might be a negative effect puts a whole different spin on it.

As for the Harrison's fauna flora, I don't necessarily see a need for that, either. Just keep working on increasing the variety of foods Kise will eat. It's a tough job, as she seems to be a finicky eater, but keep offering her more and more foods prepared in different ways... even after she rejects them. Your persistence just needs to outlast her stubbornness.

And I agree wholeheartedly on the beak grinding. Definitely a show of relaxed contentment.

Oh, and I'm really glad to hear that Kise has eased up on the biting somewhat. Always a good thing.

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
I'm a bit like Heedless, I like to feed a pelleted diet to my parrots, but that simply won't do with the ekkies.

I have found this feed, that works great for my ekkies: Deli-Nature

I don't know if you can get it in the US or if there is some similar product you can use. This product has not been heated, so the vitamins are all natural.

All of my ekkies are rescues and most of them had serious issues with toe tapping and wingflipping and they have all healed after getting this food as their primary diet supplemented by fresh fruit and greens.

I like that if I am really busy and don't have time to prepare any fresh food, that they are getting all they need anyway. Ohh and they like it too, so that's a plus :)

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
I'm a bit like Heedless, I like to feed a pelleted diet to my parrots, but that simply won't do with the ekkies.

I don't know if you can get it in the US or if there is some similar product you can use. This product has not been heated, so the vitamins are all natural.

All of my ekkies are rescues and most of them had serious issues with toe tapping and wingflipping and they have all healed after getting this food as their primary diet supplemented by fresh fruit and greens.

I like that if I am really busy and don't have time to prepare any fresh food, that they are getting all they need anyway. Ohh and they like it too, so that's a plus :)

Thanks my Dear. **hugs**

I sent them an email, and I also just spoken to my friend just now, who is living in France. She will see if she can purchase those and send them to me, I will have her order 10boxes.

THANKS... **CHUUUUUUUUU**

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots

Thanks my Dear. **hugs**

I sent them an email, and I also just spoken to my friend just now, who is living in France. She will see if she can purchase those and send them to me, I will have her order 10boxes.

THANKS... **CHUUUUUUUUU**

My friend has tried and it does not look like she can get it at her country. I really like for Kise to try those... If possible, could someone help me to get ten boxes for Kise????

PLEASE!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots

Hi to the experts!

I need help with two things... PLEASE.

1. I ordered two bags (see pic) and have been arrived. Is it OK. for Kise, Eclectus?

2. I saw Mr. Christ's post and I need help regarding the tapping toe(s)... Scratching her feet on my head sometimes are consider of tapping?

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

**CHUUUUUUUUU***

Dream_Front_L_1024x1024@2x.jpg

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Dear all..

THEY ARE NOT my babies... :)

I just want to know if you get the baby eclectus... You should get the vocally one? or the quite one?

One is more dark green and one more bright green?

The noisy one is the brighter green :D

PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Most Reactions

Latest posts