Eclectus sinus issues

crmnh

Sep 24, 2022
NH
Parrots
Eclectus & Blue & Gold Macaw
Hello all,
My 20 y/o eclectus is having some sinus issues and I was wondering if any of you may have dealt with something similar.
She's been having some kind of problem with her sinuses being blocked or something like that from time to time but I just can't figure it out. I think the last time this bothered her was about 6 months ago. She is breathing fine, she's perching on one foot and eating fine too but it is obviously irritating her as she is constantly rubbing her beak on stuff to try to scratch it. She'll also take one toe and try to scratch at it from inside her beak sometimes. She doesn't have any kind of discharge or anything like that from it.
She's been seen by 3 different vets for this in the past couple of years when it seemed like it was bothering her but they haven't been able to give me any answers so I thought I'd see if any of you have dealt with something like this. She's also had full exams, bloodwork, etc. done. The only thing they've ever had me do was put some drops in her nares for a couple of weeks, (I forget the med now) as a precaution and some anti-inflammatory meds the last time.
There is a good, parrot-friendly Hepa filter next to her cage along with a humidifier which I only use distilled water in. I have also been putting her on her perch in the shower just to sit in the steam for 10-15 min. 1-2 times a day for the past few days hoping that might help.
I will be calling the vet to set something up tomorrow but since it's Sunday and I am so worried about her I thought I'd try you all too. Sorry for being so long winded, it's what I do when I worry. Thanks for any help you can offer!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Reality Check: If you live in the Great White North or have low Humidity Levels in your home, sinus issues are far more common. Target Humidity Level is between 45 and 50% during the Winter months.
Yes, see your Avian Vet as there can be an underling infection as well.

OP
crmnh

crmnh

Sep 24, 2022
NH
Parrots
Eclectus & Blue & Gold Macaw
Reality Check: If you live in the Great White North or have low Humidity Levels in your home, sinus issues are far more common. Target Humidity Level is between 45 and 50% during the Winter months.
Yes, see your Avian Vet as there can be an underling infection as well.
Thank you for the info, she does have an appointment to be seen in a few days. My main concern is that we've been together through 17 winters up here and until last year this had never been an issue. Thank again for your feedback it is appreciated.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Much changes year to year and overtime. Your home actives have likely changed during that time and your home has become drier with each Winter season. What was near the edge of being a problem has likely become a problem. Regardless, we always need to look at what we have today. Changes from full prepped meals to a few each week can greatly affect the humidity level of the home, so can the number, length and type of bathing.

Assure you have a digital Temperature / Relative Humidity device near where your Parrot spends the majority of the day. NOTE: keeping your home in the 45 to 50% range will help your home hold heat as the moisture in the air provides more for the heat to hold on to.

Most Reactions

Latest posts