Eclectus stays in laundry day & night

Anna3

Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Eclectus
Hi all. I need some help. I had my male Eclectus (approx 7 yrs old) for about a month. We did not have a cage so we set up an area in the laundry with food/water etc. The door is always open to the lounge and alfresco but my bird will not leave the laundry room ever! I try to take him out and he just bites and wants to stay there. First week I had him he was walking around the whole house and talking. Last 3 weeks always in laundry and does not want to come out. What is going on?? I know his food is there but birds also leave their cages and their food is there. Does anyone know why my bird won't leave the laundry?? I have a vet appt but it's a month away. Thank you.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Parrots often develop territoriality during the "honeymoon" phase of acclimation to new home. Laundry is where the food is, might try placing food elsewhere to encourage free-ranging desires. Do you have a portable stand with food bowls?

Is laundry setup temporary, planning for eventual cage? Please know detergents and related odors may be harmful to parrots. Birds out of cage may be injured or fall prey to hazardous temptations unless closely monitored. Please know my questions intended to foster discussion, not judge!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
likely this has induce breeding behavior and territory guard, as its a small room no direct sunlight, dimly lit, access to soft stuff or dark corners ect.

I think cages are important as a place for sleep, and for when you are not home. As stated parrots will chew on electric cords, toxic stuff, and generally get in trouble.

Also he needs to be set up in your main living area.
And set him with his own " furniture " hang out spots.
Tte following link is to my thread with picture examples of my burds " furniture "
Thread 'Enrichment ideas, share yours' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/enrichment-ideas-share-yours.91635/

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I had always viewed the Laundry Room as a No-No for use as a Parrot room for many of the reasons exampled above, but also, it is a common dumping room for those poor Parrots who are for any number of reasons lost the love of their Humans. Kind of like out of sight, out of mind. Not what you are doing, but it is far more common then you may know.

Move him lock stock and barrow into the main part of your home where the action is so to speak.

Our DYH Amazon has full range of our home and he has a cage where he hangs-out, eats, naps and over-sees his Kingdom (backyard). He has a sleeping perch in our bedroom, which he sleeps and naps. He is on a Sun schedule and it is not uncommon for him to put himself to sleep for the night.

Please move your Parrot out of the Laundry Room and close its door.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I had always viewed the Laundry Room as a No-No for use as a Parrot room for many of the reasons exampled above, but also, it is a common dumping room for those poor Parrots who are for any number of reasons lost the love of their Humans..

This is exactly what happened with my conure when I was younger. I’ll spare gruesome details here but this resulted in her death.

OP
A

Anna3

Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Eclectus
Thank you all. Your comments are helpful. We did not have a cage as the bird was a present. However planning to buy one. My laundry has 2 large sliding window doors so plenty of light. It is temporary but I was thinking to set him up there. However the detergents and odors might not be good idea.

Most Reactions

Latest posts