Elevated Liver Enzymes in My cockatiel!!!!

Dinochicken

Nov 5, 2021
Parrots
Macaw Indian ringneck and cockatiel
I recently took my cockatiel Vinny to the vet because his poop was so watery that you would think he spilled his water dish but his feces are fine. They said theyā€™ve never seen that much liquid come out of a cockatiel before so they did blood work etc. on him and they said he has really elevated liver enzymes for such a young bird and that they were gonna test him for chlamydia, but the results wonā€™t be back for another 2 weeks. They said it also could be fatty liver diseaseā€¦but I donā€™t know how he couldā€™ve gotten fatty liver disease because I feed him variety of fresh veggies I also make sure he has limited fruits and seeds and he also gets cold pressed organic pellets. He also is very active, he has free flight around the house and has plenty of enrichment and space in his cage. I donā€™t know how this could have happened, Iā€™m so scared of losing him I really canā€™t handle it and Iā€™m really really scared. They are treating him with antibiotics just in case he has an infection, but has anyone gone through this please let me know.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First, Stop, Slow Down as you are the care giver here and your Parrot needs you to be a Strong Mama Bear! It is important to understand that Parrots pick-up on our emotions and your fears are not helping your Parrot.

Depending on how much liquid your Parrot is getting in its diet can result in the liquid part being larger than normal. Not saying that is the problem only adding possibilities.

As part of the testing you have had completed what are the numbers that each test is presenting?

Is your Vet an Avian Medical Professional?

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
liver enzymes for such a young bird and that they were gonna test him for chlamydia, but the results wonā€™t be back for another 2 weeks. They said it also could be fatty liver diseaseā€¦but I donā€™t know how he couldā€™ve gotten fatty liver disease because I feed him variety of fresh veggies I also make sure he has limited fruits and seeds and he also gets cold pressed organic pellets. He also is very active, he has free flight around the house and has plenty of enrichment and space in his cage. I donā€™t know how this could have happened, Iā€™m so scared of losing him I really canā€™t handle it and Iā€™m really really scared. They are treating him with antibiotics just in case he has an infection,

You have done well, with good observation and quick to take him to the good vet too. I am sure he will get well soon. Or better, this could be just a false alarm, reminding us to cherish every moment.

How long did this watery poop occur?
Are there any other symptoms you can think of? Any of these?
  • Weakness
  • Tucking head beneath the wing
  • Exhaustion
  • Depression
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Blood in the stool
  • Lack of feces in droppings
  • Ruffled feathers
  • Anxious behavior
  • Loss of appetite
  • Anorexia

Being playful and free flight is absolutely good news. This indicates that if he is sick, he will recover soon. The antibiotics he is on will take care of most causes (such as diarrhea) on the list of possible causes. Your vet had also run tests just to be safe. This is good. If it comes back negative, it's another cross out from the list. If it shows a positive result, he will get a correct prescription. And get cured.

You see, there are many causes for watery poop. Even watery fruits or stress also cause watery poop. Could he be shocked about some new things, wing clipped, new furniture, new pellets, new people? Birds are also sensitive to our emotions and know when we are stressed or sad. If stress is the cause, this minor incident should go away by itself in a day or two, as stress reduce.

Meanwhile give plenty of fresh drinking water. Do not use litter of any kind to line the cage. Use only paper, and be sure to change the paper daily in order to detect any changes in the droppings. Hopefully, you'll see that it all return to normal.

I love this wise saying......
"I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened"

I hope you feel better with more information on the matter. But if more information stress you more, as it is a case with many people. Please try to take your mind off from this topic. (You are his pack leader, he will feel stress if you are stressed.)

Please remember this.....
You have done well. And he is on medication and is doing well.
Let the antibiotics do wonder.
Let us wait and see with hope.

OP
D

Dinochicken

Nov 5, 2021
Parrots
Macaw Indian ringneck and cockatiel
First, Stop, Slow Down as you are the care giver here and your Parrot needs you to be a Strong Mama Bear! It is important to understand that Parrots pick-up on our emotions and your fears are not helping your Parrot.

Depending on how much liquid your Parrot is getting in its diet can result in the liquid part being larger than normal. Not saying that is the problem only adding possibilities.

As part of the testing you have had completed what are the numbers that each test is presenting?

Is your Vet an Avian Medical Professional?
Youā€™re right! My husband is usually the less panicky one šŸ˜… lol and Iā€™m not sure I have to look at his papers again, as for his vet theyā€™re Avian Medical professionals they are wonderful too, they are so understanding and you can tell they really care, only problem is they are about 2 hours away because thereā€™s no avian vets in my area šŸ™

Most Reactions

Latest posts