Elvira's 2nd Day Home

Elviraion

Oct 21, 2022
GA
Parrots
Turquoise Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure
Moon Cheek -- Green Cheek Conure
Hello All,

Thanks again to those that responded to my first post about Elvira's first day. Now I've got some more questions now that her second day here is almost over.

Elvira chose to spend most of her day inside her cage even though the cage door was open for most of the day. I always asked if she wanted to come out when I gave her my finger. She knows the step-up command but since I was inside her cage, I did not want to make her do something she didn't want to do. Am I doing the right thing by making the inside of the cage her space this way?

She absolutely LOVES millet and walnuts. At this point I'm not sure which one she loves more. I know that giving nuts is like giving them a hamburger, but since this is a complete uprooting from her first weeks with her breeder, I'm making her cage super pleasant with treats and such and she's growing with an amazingly intense appetite. I'm thinking that at this stage in her life (and from what I've read while sorting through other posts in the conure forum), the most important thing at this point is to make everything that's happening to her a positive experience and not to worry about giving too much because the goal is to make everything she encounters in these first days and weeks in her home, is fun, safe, and enjoyable. I've there's anything that I should do more of or less of, please feel free to throw in your two cents, please!

Question: When I put my hand in her cage and ask if she wants to step up and she does an ever so slight pinch with her beak, what's the best way to handle it? I don't react at all other than saying, "No biting. We don't bite" in a calm voice and try to redirect her with another toy in her cage. I'm trying to ensure that she doesn't accidently learn that pinching (biting) makes people leave her alone. Just to be clear, I never force her to come out of her cage.

Thanks!
Tom

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right - easy does it is the phrase for awhile. Let her determine when to interact with you. A week is reasonable, more if she decides to.

Most Reactions

Latest posts