Ember, The Baby Black Lorikeet

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
i tossed some of her photos around in other posts, but never really got a chance to upload her photos designated for a thread. But here is my Baby Girl, Ember. Shes 3 months old today, and she is learning a TON and is thriving very well. She is an absolute sweetheart and will fly and hop across the room just to hang out with me. She is also already talking, says "step up" "Hello" and does kisses and whistles. Crazy how fast they grow as well. But here she is, Ember:

p3451609997-5.jpg

p3451610390-5.jpg

p3451610546-5.jpg

p3451611147-5.jpg

here is a quick flight training video of her, baby steps at the moment lol

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Ooooohhhh @jessem101, you GOTTA stop posting these pics! You've got me googling "black lory for sale Australia", and I have neither the floor space for another cage nor the $$$ for cage plus bird!! Or do I? OR DO I??? ;)

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Ooooohhhh @jessem101, you GOTTA stop posting these pics! You've got me googling "black lory for sale Australia", and I have neither the floor space for another cage nor the $$$ for cage plus bird!! Or do I? OR DO I??? ;)
LOL! well don't go to Australia, will need to go to West Papua in Indonesia! lol and i 100% agree with you on getting a B lack Lory LOL

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
LOL! well don't go to Australia, will need to go to West Papua in Indonesia! lol and i 100% agree with you on getting a B lack Lory LOL
They don't appear to be very commonly kept here in Aussieland, but I DID find this one guy ... must .... not ... "favourite" ... his ... web .... paaaaaaaage!!! :eek:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Ohhhhhh you live in Australia! 🙌🍻🍻 your Lory will love it there lol
Yes I do! And you're really not helping me, you know that, don't you?!!

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Got back from Vegas with my baby girl. She did awesome with the travel carrier, she also did did great eating, she also did great around large crowds. she was definitely the star for the holidays lol

I also experienced a warning growl from a black lory...and its a deep growl! lol She growled at my mother in laws frenchy when she saw him. kept them apart, and made sure she knew he wasnt a threat so she wouldnt attack him...as she was definitely ready..she went into honey badger mode LOL rest of the trip went great and we are back home. she has grown and she weighs 190 grams now. You can also see around her beak, its turning black! she is definitely growing and coming into her own. here are some recent pics of her and you can see the difference around her beak in a matter of 2 to 3 weeks.

p3508663974-5.jpg

p3508663957-5.jpg

p3508919253-5.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Got back from Vegas with my baby girl. She did awesome with the travel carrier, she also did did great eating, she also did great around large crowds. she was definitely the star for the holidays lol

I also experienced a warning growl from a black lory...and its a deep growl! lol She growled at my mother in laws frenchy when she saw him. kept them apart, and made sure she knew he wasnt a threat so she wouldnt attack him...as she was definitely ready..she went into honey badger mode LOL rest of the trip went great and we are back home. she has grown and she weighs 190 grams now. You can also see around her beak, its turning black! she is definitely growing and coming into her own. here are some recent pics of her and you can see the difference around her beak in a matter of 2 to 3 weeks.

p3508663974-5.jpg

p3508663957-5.jpg

p3508919253-5.jpg
Oh that girl of yours is just so stunning, I LOVE her!! 😍 Glad you both had such a successful trip and that everyone is home safe and sound!

Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure

p3508663974-5.jpg

p3508663957-5.jpg

p3508919253-5.jpg
I'm always in awe when you post Ember! She is so stunning. ❤️

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Oh that girl of yours is just so stunning, I LOVE her!! 😍 Glad you both had such a successful trip and that everyone is home safe and sound!
Thank you! yea she behaved and listened very well. Her vocabulary has grown a ton as well. She whistles, laughs, says "step up" "hello" "i love you" and have been mumbling other stuff which i am sure shes working on lol i am ecstatic on how she is growing. Training has been awesome so far.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
STUNNING bird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read that Black Lories are actually Ultraviolet in color on the spectrum (we can't see it, but birds can). I wonder what that looks like to other parrots!

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
STUNNING bird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read that Black Lories are actually Ultraviolet in color on the spectrum (we can't see it, but birds can). I wonder what that looks like to other parrots!
yes she's actually not truly black. Shes more like a purple believe it or not, you can see it in the sun, so im curious to know as well how she looks to other parrots. I know my boy Manolo (my Amazon) is absolutely star struck with her LOL he rambles off and tries to show off when she is near. her however, she is extremely brave! and adorable. i have to watch out cause she will follow me anywhere. had her loose around the house last night, and she hops around like a rabbit lol we need to do more videos, as she uses our counter chairs like a jungle gym or monkey bars LOL its adorable cause when i call her name, she will let out a whistle and fly on over to me lol i truly haven't had a parrot as affectionate as her. our amazon loves us...but she is on another level lol same with her poops, its on another level LMAO

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I looked it up... ultraviolet, that is. An online center or science education says... "Purple and violet light have shorter wavelengths than other colors of light, and ultraviolet has even shorter waves than violet does; so ultraviolet is sort of "purpler-than-purple" light or "beyond violet" light." No wonder she's so attractive... electric purple!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I looked it up... ultraviolet, that is. An online center or science education says... "Purple and violet light have shorter wavelengths than other colors of light, and ultraviolet has even shorter waves than violet does; so ultraviolet is sort of "purpler-than-purple" light or "beyond violet" light." No wonder she's so attractive... electric purple!
I bet those feathers look like a Tahitian pearl in the sun, black with all the shades of iridescent purple and blue and maybe even some green. My Lovejoy would be a goner for sure if he saw her!! 😍

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hey, Marty, let's show our roosters this little girl and see if they react. I assume that the ultraviolet will register authentically on the screen, right?
Well as it happens, Lovejoy did get a preview of Ember in a recent POTM thread - and his reaction was predictable!!! ❤️‍🔥❤️‍🔥❤️‍🔥❤️‍🔥❤️‍🔥

ljember.png

Most Reactions

Latest posts