Engagement announcement

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Pikachu and Penny are engaged ;)

They feed each other , and I’m keeping them in the same cage now, as they are always close to each other .

I’m so proud of Penny, my abused girl , who didn’t know how to “ bird” when I first got her. Their courtship has taken almost a year, so very slow, sweet and funny to watch. Penny didn’t even want him near her , she was full of fear about bird interactions, she certainly didn’t want him to touch her!! Pikachu ( I think male) was very calm when she would scream , freak , flight, or fight. He always tried to move a little closer, so patient, so calm. Then the barely started touching beak tips, started to murmur to each other. In the last month that has gone to regurgitates to each other. They don’t preen each other , at least not yet.. When that started to happen I let them see if they wanted to share a cage and they did. My burds are all out together during the day .

( I’m not planning on breeding st this time, no nest box, they are not having sex. If things change I will adapt. )

24829d1598013390-engagement-announcement-9163a97e-5a53-4797-88c3-b25f9b5df30b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I’m happy for her to have a friend. They are all out together during the day, when I tried keeping one caged and one out they just stayed next to each other with one hanging on the outside of the cage. So sharing a cage at night , well one less cage to clean. I put the other cage in storage, if breeding behavior starts I can cage them separate when needed. When I took in the re home Pikachu I thought most likely would be a female, most lutino are. I haven’t sexed Pikachu but I’m pretty sure he is a male. Since I now have them both and they have bonded, it’s tge risk of having multiple birds, I’ll have to manage the best I can.

There are many members with mixed sex, same species flocks,
But I have spent time thinking on the what if’s

Same sex can also bond , as my two female green checks did. And the same risks of egg laying and egg binding can happen with them, tho not the risk of fertile eggs :)
My older green check did lay eggs once shortly after adding Tadah . The rest of the five years they we together no other eggs , tho they did sexual behavior and where very bonded to each other.

And later when I added Neptune my Quaker he and my GCC bonded very closely and did sexual behavior with each other.

So if you have more than one bird even if different species the risk is there. We have all seen stories of very different parrot species bonding, even if same sex.

Or as we hear all the time, females can decide to become egg layers all by themselves...,

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations Penny and Pikachu!

I tend to allow romantic pairings in the absence of nest box if breeding not desired. I realize mine are larger species and less prone to egg binding. So far never a problem. Popcorn and Alice (Goffins and Citron) found love and are deeply bonded. Peanut and Abby (Goffins mother and son) are close and on rare occasions link tails but no observed copulation. I realize some of this is normal in the animal kingdom and also a product of captivity.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thanks Scott! I’m so happy for Penny! It’s better than two birds that fight too ;)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My congratulations to the newly engaged couple, Laurasea! I'm so happy for them and you. Ain't love grand? :)

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well they have been sharing the cage for a while, zero aggressions. Infact they regurgitate to each other.

But I have been keeping track of Penny's weight. As Pikachu would go to both food bowls, and Penny would move away.

Penny was very slowly dropping weight. I tried to wait it out, as they spend most time out of the cage with numerous food stations. But today she has dropped 6 grams total.

So I've just split them up to separate cages again. I have them caged so Pikachu can get used to being g in his old cage before dark.

Penny is at the feed dish chowing down!!
Pikachu us screaming mad!

So folks do be aware that if you cage two birds together. The dominant bird may get all the food, even if tgey get along and no fights. I had even put a third bowl of food in the cage. So when two birds start sharing a cage, keep track of weight.

As I write Penny is eating fast as she can, poor baby!

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Good job of keeping track of that, and great information for others! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
so cute. just careful with the egg thing...not saying it can't happen in a single bird (COUGH) but, you know...

Most Reactions

Latest posts