Enzo finally gets a new cage...

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
And its enormous compared to her last cage. She looks tiny now, although ?I havent had a chance to put everything in the cage yet, sort of a temporary build but she seems to be happy enough in it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zQTuG6UFeK-yxYS4l6O48viOMG3Qw9kZ

For scale, this is Max my youngest son (13) who is 5'10 (178cm).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11o_B208Ufql2ns1lM0EYYfoaynLEMcNC

Kelly has been great as this cage is in her house prior to me moving in with her for 18months. We want to get Enzo used to her cage over the weekends so the big move is less of a shock to her.

For reference, the cage is a Rainforest Santos 2 Dome top, I got a fantastic deal on it of £299 ($400). It feels very solid, secure and well built

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Very nice! Not sure if your cage came with one but make ABSOLUTELY sure you get a security tab on the door AND the bottom grate. I noticed there is one on the landing door.

My adopted Grey had escaped from his cage at the Center. He just pulled up the doors latch and walked out. They watch everything you do so you can be sure they'll watch you open the door.

OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Very nice! Not sure if your cage came with one but make ABSOLUTELY sure you get a security tab on the door AND the bottom grate. I noticed there is one on the landing door.

My adopted Grey had escaped from his cage at the Center. He just pulled up the doors latch and walked out. They watch everything you do so you can be sure they'll watch you open the door.

Thank you :)

The main door latch is very very secure and needs to be turned 180deg, it seems to have a reasonalbe resistance to the mechanism and is shielded from prying beaks in the cage. there is no way Enzo could open it. The top door/flap and the grate both have a small tab holding them in place, all of the food bowels's require the handles to be pulled horizontally and can even be twisted to lock in place. I cant see any way she could get out.

Enzo is not the type to try and escape, I can have doors and windows open and she will fly to high vantage point until i close them. I know there is always the chance that she could get spooked and fly away so I try and avoid these opportunities as much as possible.

Im excited to get her java wood branches in there but im going away for a few weeks driving around Europe in the M140i and Enzo is staying over at a friend down the road who I got Enzo from (she is part of a rescue). She still has all of the parrots that Enzo used to share the hose with so I think it will be a nice experience for her...... Once im back her old cage will be disposed of and her new cage will be her new permanent abode.:grey:

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
That is a really nice looking cage!

BTW never say never when it comes to what our fids can accomplish when they set their devious minds to it.:D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Awesome cage, great deal at that price! Greys are often stubborn, but Enzo will learn to love that palace!

Have fun with the M140i. A bummer we don't get the 1-series in the U.S; closest is the new X1 "crossover" vehicle.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Great cage! Perfect for Enzo! A cage is hardly ever "too large" for a parrot, so he's in really good shape in that one...and what a great idea, having him spend short amounts of time in Kelly's house to ease-into the full-time move! That will help you all immensely, and will also allow the 3 of you to spend more time together as a family!

I agree with TiredOldMan, never, ever, ever underestimate Enzo's ability to "jail-break", and certainly, please, do not ever leave a window or door open with him out of his cage, even if he's not shown any interest in flying out of them before...Those are extremely famous-last-words, and the reason that there are literally hundreds of lost parrots out there, many of them CAG's. They have minds of their own, and they often don't show us their thoughts or intentions (purposely), so for all you know, Enzo has been waiting for the right moment or more-commonly he's been building-up enough courage to take the "plunge" out one of the open windows or doors. I never want to log-on here and see a post about how Enzo has flown-away out an open window or door!!! This is exactly the same as how a lot of people have spent years sleeping in their beds with their parrots, thinking that everything is fine, it has been fine for years, "they have a system", etc., and then one day they post how they woke-up and found their bird dead, smothered underneath them during the night...And then the guilt is so horrible and immense, as most of them have been warned over and over again about not sleeping with their birds, and they ignored the warnings because they really, truly thought everything was fine, simply because it had been for years...Birds are funny about things...same as a dog who has never taken-off while walking off-lease, and then one day, out of nowhere, for some reason they simply take-off, never to be seen again...And also, as you stated, they do also get easily spooked by the strangest things, and right out the window or open door they go...So please, do not take those chances anymore, for the sake of both Enzo and you...and Kelly...

OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
EllenD & TiredoldMan, I promise to be less complacent from now on, the thought alone gives me nightmares. o7.

OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Awesome cage, great deal at that price! Greys are often stubborn, but Enzo will learn to love that palace!

Have fun with the M140i. A bummer we don't get the 1-series in the U.S; closest is the new X1 "crossover" vehicle.

America is so great, but without the car...im staying here :cool:

Most Reactions