Harrisons vs Tops

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
I'm not sure if this particular comparison has been made, so I want to ask and ramble 😁.

These are both organic feeds as I understand. They are also highly recommended. But they are starkly different from one another.

In regards to Harrison's, I am referring to high potency formula.

The Harrison's does include ingredients that many are against in theory, but perhaps because they are not using GMO or perhaps because they are toasting these products, it makes them appropriate for our parrots.

Many have used Harrison's successfully for years and are pleased. Harrison's has a long track record, but they promote their products based on successful breeding programs. Well most of us only have companion parrots. My parrot has now successfully switched to Harrison's.

Tops is also highly recommended but using an unconventional first ingredient of alfalfa. As well, they list a number of quality ingredients indicating the benefits of each, but one particular exception is Barley, which is the second ingredient. As well, they indicate that 95% of the total makeup of the pellets is alfalfa, barley, rice, and millet. This means that the content of the other twenty ingredients is negligible at best.

The nutritional differences are big, particularly in regards to fat content. I also wonder about vit D in Tops. I think it is 0, whereas in Harrisons it is supplemented. I would generally say that most of our parrots are not getting unfiltered access to sunshine.

Someone may answer that it is personal preference or whatever your parrot will eat, etc. but if both are readily eaten by the parrot, etc. which one is the "better" choice (for house pets)? Why? (And yes of course I do not expect a consensus, but perhaps thoughts will be shared that I have not considered.)

Thanks in advance for your input!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Well... I make no claims of expertise, so I'll just share my bias...

I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.
40 years and counting... he has eaten Harrison's for almost his whole life.

OP
GambotheGreyt

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Well... I make no claims of expertise, so I'll just share my bias...

I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.
40 years and counting... he has eaten Harrison's for almost his whole life.
40 years? Wow! That says something 😁. I think mostly it says that you love him alot!

I'm hoping that others will pipe in with their experiences as well. I can only speak to long term usage of Lafebers but now that I have a new bird, more education, and more choices, I chose Harrison's. An order of Tops arrived yesterday and I am wanting to see if he has a preference. I do realize that it isn't great to feed two separate brands of pellets simultaneously, but... only one will be chosen.

Most Reactions

Latest posts