Escape artist, question on gender...

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
So yesterday we found what we thought was a very sweet looking boy that would (eventually) become Skye’s buddy. Well either the store caught the wrong bird, or my eyes and the light are playing tricks on me, plus the new one is an escape artist. He flew out once when I went to change his/her food. Then he/she decided that the cage wasn’t any fun and let itself out! Twice. Through the food doors. So I’ve caught this poor baby 3 times in less than 12 hours. The local hardware store is closed. It’s a mom and pop shop. Obviously I’d rather shop local but if I have to I can go to Home Depot tomorrow. What can I use to secure the cage?

Given that we have 3 cats they cannot under any circumstances let themselves out for safety reasons. I will also add that I opted NOT to have the wings clipped for the new bird. No name yet, waiting until we knowledge the gender first.

The other issue I’m having is depending on the lighting the cere literally changes color. So I have no clue if we brought home a boy, or a girl. If it’s a girl I’m looking at a whole new set up. It’s not a problem, I just really don’t want babies. So this begs the question of IF I can house a male and female without breeding, and how the heck do I keep this new bird in his or her cage safely? I added 2 pics below, please let me know what you all think for gender. I honestly don’t care either way, I just need to know if I need a whole larger setup for the new one or not. I’m really trying to avoid putting a female with a male. It’s just not something I’m willing to do...disposal of infertile eggs is fine, but I DO NOT WANT BABIES!

The new bird is in Skye’s old cage. It was thoroughly cleaned with vinegar, then bleach and left outside for a few days, then another complete cleaning with vinegar. We did buy all new toys and perches for the new bird, plus a whole bunch of new stuff for Skye’s cage. Skye doesn’t really like changes so we are adding new items for Skye slowly.

View attachment 23459
db12de452ea226c7a33140cb36748be5.jpg
View attachment 23459

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
Sorry for the double post, gotta love issues with phones!

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
The colored skin with the two nostrils above the upper beak proclaim your bird is a boy. At least according to what I have been reading about parakeets and budgies.
Remove and replace the existing food and water dishes with bowls and use stainless steel tie wire around the latch of existing container openings.
Should fix you up temporaily. jh

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I agree with the seasoned gent above me. While it is very very hard to tell on such a young guy(barring over the forehead means he is under 4 months old), I do believe you have yourself a little mister there.

The clever escape artist ones are always so fun. Yes, any bird safe wire tied so it doesn't have pointy bits facing in and there is no way to get little toes caught would work fine. I have also used rexlace, coconut twine, hemp twine, jute, etc etc etc any bird safe cordage to tie shut doors. The D-clips or quick links that come on bird toys also work to secure doors. You do not have to switch away from the dishes in order to tie shut the doors, but it makes feeding and watering a little more involved.

How fun, another little friend! Good luck!!

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
Thank you, I’m sure orange wall is also playing tricks on my eyes a bit.

I used a piece of thread last night to secure to food doors but that’s not going to be a good long term option.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! What I did for the sliding type food doors was to use tyewraps above the doors! They are putting pressure on the bars adding a lot of drag to the door! You have to first slide the tyewrap up to open the door!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yes, the above suggestions will all work.

Well, soon enough your local hardware will be open and you can ask the expert owners what they have that will keep the door closed. Best choice would be stainless steel components. High end boating latches, locks, and snap shackles will work. Understanding that they are expensive, but will last a couple of lifetimes.

FYI: Although the stainless steel wire will work well, there is the likelihood of a Bird coming in contact with the wire point (end). That point may or can puncher their skin. Use with care.

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
Yes, the above suggestions will all work.

Well, soon enough your local hardware will be open and you can ask the expert owners what they have that will keep the door closed. Best choice would be stainless steel components. High end boating latches, locks, and snap shackles will work. Understanding that they are expensive, but will last a couple of lifetimes.

FYI: Although the stainless steel wire will work well, there is the likelihood of a Bird coming in contact with the wire point (end). That point may or can puncher their skin. Use with care.

OMG! Boat stuff! West Marine is open and 10 minutes away. Now the trick is to get in and out and not sucked into the endless possibilities of fishing gear. It’s never to early to stock up, right?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think your baby bird is a BABY. I don’t think you can tell yet what sex it is. And being a wild type color, it should turn real blue if male or tan to medium brown if female (depends on breeding condition).

I have a plastic key clip holding my bird’s door shut. I’ve used zip ties as well. Metal and paper twist ties are toxic and very chewable; don’t use those.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I think your baby bird is a BABY. I don’t think you can tell yet what sex it is. And being a wild type color, it should turn real blue if male or tan to medium brown if female (depends on breeding condition).

I have a plastic key clip holding my bird’s door shut. I’ve used zip ties as well. Metal and paper twist ties are toxic and very chewable; don’t use those.
This was posted 2 years ago, they probably won't answer :)

Most Reactions