Essential Oil Diffusers

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
are there any that are bird safe or no
It's not the diffuser itself but the air borne (diffused) oil that "can" possibly be harmful to their delicate lungs and air sacs. You don't want your bird to get airsaculitis (inflammation of the air sacs- yes, it's a real diagnosis from a certified avian vet) do you? Any time a manufacturer claims a product is "natural", "non-toxic", "pet safe" etc you need to understand that they don't really know it won't irritate your bird's respiratory system. Remember how canaries were used to detect ussafe air in coal mines? The canaries were so much more sensitive that they would die when humans were not yet at risk. The gasses that killed the canaries were "natural" but deadly to them. If you use a diffuser so you can enjoy a scent your bird is also getting significant exposure to the airborne molecules and they are much more sensitive to airborne things than we are. In short, I wouldn't use one. Dab a tiny bit of your favorite oil on your neck covered by clothing so you can enjoy it without contaminating all the air in the room.

On a similar note, winter is approaching here and today my husband suggested we turn on the new liquid propane fireplace in our main living area where we hang out with our six budgies (a quality product professionally installed) to test it out. We don't need to use it- it's our back up heat only. I said "no way"! If there were any toxic fumes at all our beloved budgies would drop dead. He loves our birds so much and would be devastated, so we didn't turn it on. I can't think of a safe way to "try it out". Our house is very small so moving the birds to another room isn't an option. Frankly, knowing how sensitive birds are I don't think we will ever try to use it as long as we have birds. Thank God we have a great electric run heat pump that's bird safe.

OP
itslizze91

itslizze91

Aug 15, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
It's not the diffuser itself but the air borne (diffused) oil that "can" possibly be harmful to their delicate lungs and air sacs. You don't want your bird to get airsaculitis (inflammation of the air sacs- yes, it's a real diagnosis from a certified avian vet) do you? Any time a manufacturer claims a product is "natural", "non-toxic", "pet safe" etc you need to understand that they don't really know it won't irritate your bird's respiratory system. Remember how canaries were used to detect ussafe air in coal mines? The canaries were so much more sensitive that they would die when humans were not yet at risk. The gasses that killed the canaries were "natural" but deadly to them. If you use a diffuser so you can enjoy a scent your bird is also getting significant exposure to the airborne molecules and they are much more sensitive to airborne things than we are. In short, I wouldn't use one. Dab a tiny bit of your favorite oil on your neck covered by clothing so you can enjoy it without contaminating all the air in the room.

On a similar note, winter is approaching here and today my husband suggested we turn on the new liquid propane fireplace in our main living area where we hang out with our six budgies (a quality product professionally installed) to test it out. We don't need to use it- it's our back up heat only. I said "no way"! If there were any toxic fumes at all our beloved budgies would drop dead. He loves our birds so much and would be devastated, so we didn't turn it on. I can't think of a safe way to "try it out". Our house is very small so moving the birds to another room isn't an option. Frankly, knowing how sensitive birds are I don't think we will ever try to use it as long as we have birds. Thank God we have a great electric run heat pump that's bird safe
thank you so much for replying! im so glad i asked the form before getting one! 1 more question i have is what can i do to make my room/house smell nice without it hurting my bird! thank you so much!

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I second what DonnaBudgie said. Using diffusers around birds is always potentially risky. They are so much more sensitive than us. When I use an essential oil diffuser ( like to help my nose and throat when I have a head cold) I use it in the bathroom with the door closed and then run the exhaust fan for a while after I’m done before I open the door.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
My mom used to put a few drops of vanilla ( the kind used for baking) in a pan of water and heat that on the stove for a few minutes. Made the house smell great 😊

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
thank you so much for replying! im so glad i asked the form before getting one! 1 more question i have is what can i do to make my room/house smell nice without it hurting my bird! thank you so much!
A vase of fresh cut flowers would smell nice but can be expensive in winter.

Getting rid of any wall to wall carpeting or old area rugs eliminates a huge source of musty smells. Same with old cloth upholstered furniture.

A pot of hot water on the stove with sliced apples and spices like cinnamon and cloves can make the room smell nice and festive. Or just squeeze citrus fruit into a pot of water and simmer it on the stove. House will safely smell clean and fresh in no time.

Just don't let your bird in the kitchen when there's a hot pot on the stove! We really do need to be SO careful when we have birds. Not like having dogs and cats!

OP
itslizze91

itslizze91

Aug 15, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
My mom used to put a few drops of vanilla ( the kind used for baking) in a pan of water and heat that on the stove for a few minutes. Made the house smell great 😊
Thank you so much for replying!!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Great input above.
I like fresh smells, too, and I enjoy taking some fresh citrus fruits, cutting them up, and just sitting them out.

Most Reactions