Euthanized lovebird

Latteluv

Jul 18, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Lovebird
We had to euthanize our lovebird yesterday, her head was twisted over to the side and she was having seizures up to 6 a day the vet said she had a tumor on her spine and she was suffering. It was hard to let her go but we know it was best. My daughter is devastated we've had the birds for 13 years. My question is what can I do for the other lovebird, they were together 13 years in the same cage now he's alone, he's eating and drinking but seems sad. Should I get another lovebird? I'm afraid he might pass away because he's lonely, he's a yellow lutino, the other bird was a peach face. Today is our first full day without our beloved rainbo we miss her so much.

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
I am so sorry for your loss. You must miss her terribly. And your other lovie must miss her as much as you do. I don't know about whether to get another one but I'm sure a more experienced member will give you some good advice.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm sorry for your loss!!!!!

Is your existing one tamed??? If not, it would be wise to get one so he'll have a friend. But practice quarantine then separate cages until they're used to one another before introducing to be together.

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
I am so very sorry for your loss (((hugs)))

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
oh I am so sorry!!! Is your lovebird you have now tamed? If so just spend extra time with him/her if hes not id say get him a buddy but be sure to introduce them very slowly to one another and practice quarantine first. Again so sorry for your loss it must be very hard :(

OP
L

Latteluv

Jul 18, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Lovebird
Thank you all for your replies, birdy our lutino lovebird is tame, he's been very sad and he keeps looking for her in their little tent. My daughter takes him out often and plays with him, we talk to him a lot. We are considering getting him another lovebird so he won't be lonely.my concern is he's older if we get another bird it will probably be young, should I try to find an older bird? Or will a baby be ok?

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
old or baby probably wont matter but your lovebird may not like the new lovie so take it slow and accept that they may never be friends but they might be just dont be counting on it.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Like Marcia already noted above, they may not like each other so have two cages and do it slowly. ;)

Most Reactions