experiences with trying to get a rescue macaw

leelf1

Jul 21, 2021
My red fronted macaw, Honey, died last week after a 6 month battle with diagnosed heart disease. We are really heartbroken. Through the tears, and with almost twenty years' experience with macaws, I am thinking of getting an older macaw from a rescue. I started exploring listings online for adoptions to get a sense of what these rescues have. Filled out lots and lots of adoption application forms days ago with a number of rescues but have still not heard back. I realize that these are volunteer organizations and it might take time. What are your experiences in dealing with rescues? Any insight (and encouragement?!) would be helpful.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Rescues run the full spectrum, so a little research can be helpful in finding a good one. The one my guys came from is awesome, unless you're a wannabe that thinks they're going to walk out with a bird the on the first visit. A good rescue will commonly require a number of visits to ensure a good match, thus hopefully avoiding the bird being rehomed yet again.

OP
L

leelf1

Jul 21, 2021
I am definitely ready and willing to make multiple visits - and I understand the home inspection concept. Some are offering to do that part by Zoom due to COVID - which is interesting

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, my deepest condolences for your loss of Honey. May you be comforted by decades of memories and bond. Rescuing an older macaw a wonderful way to honor Honey and pay the love forward.

I have limited experience with rescues but know adoption processes seriously altered by Covid. Give them a chance but try casting a wide net to locate suitable candidates.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have a long history with rescuing older Amazons with as many coming from Rescues, but also our Avian Medical Professional. You are going to want your new Mac to be checked by them anyway, so also see what their client base may have.

Covid has re-arranged near everything in our World and Rescues are the same. Covid had cut their staff. Others have stepped back until the can open safely. So, offer them the benefit of time. Your new member is out there and maybe this time and process is needed and you are just being guided with time to the special one for you!

Thank you for looking for an Older Mac!

Loving memories, prayers and Huge Warm Amazon Feather Hugs!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I’m so sorry for your loss of Honey.

Thank you for considering an older macaw that needs a home, I hope you find a great match if you decide to adopt. I have 7 birds that came from rescues/previous homes and have never regretted that decision.

Definitely agree with the above - rescues are really strapped for people right now with COVID. I volunteer at a rescue and am one of only 3 volunteers that stayed through the pandemic. Give them some time, and try multiple organizations like suggested above. I hope you connect with the bird suits you when the time is right - and I hope you’ll keep us in the loop.

OP
L

leelf1

Jul 21, 2021
I manage to have reminders of Honey everywhere in the house, from supplies, to organic berries that I bought for her last week that stare at in me in the frig, to scattered toys around the house, as well as to the soft down feathers that red fronted macaws have underneath which I have found in different rooms. I think I am ready though to start tackling cleaning up her day cage, sleep cage, and perches, in anticipation to rescue home inspections (virtual or in-person.) Since I have yet to hear back from the now-6 rescues that I have filled out applications for, I am coming to realize that this will probably be a really slow process. I am patient but with Honey's passing, not having a macaw in the house seems so surreal.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Daily reminders sad indeed, sometimes they help comfort during the grieving process. Take heart knowing Honey's wonderful memories are propelling you to adopt a rescue. Emphasis on adopt and create, not replace another beloved companion.

Have you had any verbal communication with the rescues, or is it simply submit applications and wait in silence?

OP
L

leelf1

Jul 21, 2021
No verbal communications yet with any of the rescues. (Some make it clear not to contact until applications are approved.) I will give it another week or two and then I might attempt to break the rules...

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I seen a lot of birds on Craigslist unfortunately:( and then there’s adoptapet.com and rescueme.org that has birds on there- individuals can post on these sites looking for a home for their pet. Wishing you luck in your search and I am very sorry for your lost :(

OP
L

leelf1

Jul 21, 2021
Littleredbeak - thanks for mentioning adoptapet.com - I was not aware of that website, which led me to another rescue that has macaws, in New Jersey (I am in NY), lonely grey rescue. I have now filled out an adoption application there, as well.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

No verbal communications yet with any of the rescues. (Some make it clear not to contact until applications are approved.) I will give it another week or two and then I might attempt to break the rules...

Seems part of the vetting process ought include basic verbal contact and eventually visits to evaluate potential birds and your interactions. I concur with gently prodding for status updates!

OP
L

leelf1

Jul 21, 2021
I heard back this afternoon from one of the rescue organizations - and had a nice conversation with one of the volunteers. She is actually currently fostering an RFM, so we were comparing notes - and it was a chance for me to talk about Honey. I am now scheduled for a zoom interview on Wednesday. Of course, I don't want to jump the gun (not sure if I will be approved - or if I am, if the RFM will choose me. Fate sometimes plays tricks that way...) --- but the phone conversation put me in the best frame of mind since Honey passed 8 days ago.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
If your open to Newjersey there is a rescue that seems to be really responsive! I can’t remember the name of the rescue and I don’t know if they have macaws at this time but Parrotrus posts about them and will sometimes cross post their birds. I see if I can find the name and send the name to you. I know nothing about them. Other than what I’ve seen on Instagram

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
It’s Helping Wing Parrot Rescue try messaging them on their Instagram page! Looks like they have 2 macaws available for adoption!Maybe post on adopt a pet that you’ re in search for a macaw. Again wishing you the best of luck!

Last edited:
OP
L

leelf1

Jul 21, 2021
Thanks for pointing it out. Yes, I have filled out a couple of days ago an adoption application at A Helping Wing. I did see that they have a number of macaws - and I hope to hear from them soon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts