Favorite dry non-cook mix recommendations

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I've been giving Parker Higgins fruit to nut mix but every time I look at the bag I see more and more seed stuffs (sunflower, etc) so I'm on the hunt for a new dry mix.

I like the look of a lot of the goldenfeast products but most of them indicate the mix should be cooked. Do you all have any recommendations that are low in seeds and don't require cooking?

KrisandPenelope

Aug 23, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
Penelope Primrose: Crimson bellied conure
If you're looking for just a fruit and nut blend Goldenfeast makes one called Nutmeats and Fruit and you can feed it dry. It's got a good variety and if your bird is like mine she can't be bother to actually crack open nuts so this blend is something she really likes.

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Goldenfeast does have a ridiculous amount of varieties Chris. I purchased the legume blend when I first got my guy and I actually still have it. I pick through it for treats. Are you looking for treats blend?

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
For dry food, I use a mixture of Goldenfeast Nutmeats and Fruit mix, Bonita Loca Blend and Golden'obles. This is in the cage at all times, in addition to twice daily fresh feedings. It's amazing my ekkie doesn't look like a fat turkey.

ETA: Dexter's daily dinner is Goldenfeast Caribbean Bounty (rehydrated). Goldenfeast loves me :).

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Former Goldenfeast fan here. Well, I still am, but it's been getting increasingly more difficult to find it in the amounts I need, so I switched to Golden Gourmet Blends and LOVE them!! MSBS sells a wide variety. My fids approve. I never buy the mixes that require cooking. :)
GOLDEN GOURMET FOODS

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Thanks all. I've been looking at the goldenfeast line and like what I see but most of them require cooking, I think the Madagascar blend doesn't. I'm not feeding wet stuff to Parker in the morning so he has good food all day long.

What I'm trying to do is get away as much as possible from mixes that have majority seeds and nuts. I just noticed - shamefully - His current dry stuff, Higgins Fruit to Nuts, by volume is more than half small seeds. And this was recommended to me by the store owner who told me she has 7 ekkies at home and feeds them this. Just too many seeds/nuts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts