feeling like a failure

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
Well once again i have an escapee :'(
although this time its not oxy.
This afternoon, about half 12 my partner came home for lunch. I easy on phone and oxy flew to him, nothing new... He loves john.
John turns to give oxy a kiss and informs me a bird is outside. I turn to look towards the cage and see both prince and bruno sitting on the outside of the screen on the louvered window ( they chewed thru the screen). I calmly walk over to them and ask them to step up... They both turn to oblige and as they did prince knocked bruno down with his tail... I quickly grabbed prince as i locked him in the cage not taking my eyes off bruno as he flew into the trees in my garden. John bolts outside to find him, i look around to find oxy and don't see him.... I panic thinking in the panic john forgot that oxy was on his shoulder and took him out. I bolt out to the door (im really slow due to a crook back), i see oxy is not on johns shoulder, heart racing go back in lounge and find oxy on the tv cabinet phew, i put him in cage with prince. In this brife moment i lost sight of bruno :'(.
That was 6hrs ago.
I immediately took out his original cage ( they all live in oxy's now... Its huge) with some food and water in hope he would see familiar ground and come down, that didn't work so took prince out and put him in it to call for him ( they been together since bruno was a baby and have tight bond) to no prevail. Prince looked to be fretting so i took him back inside to oxy.

About an hr ago prince and oxy started to go berserk and then we hear bruno :).....
I go outside and find him across the road at the topbof a 20m palm.
I stand underneath calling home and send john inside to get peanuts to try lure him down..... Just as john gets half way across tbd road he flies off again :'(.
I haven't seen or heard him since, and i have some nasty weather coming in.

What am i doing wrong that my birds feel the need to escape? They have plenty of toys, hardly in their cage, fresh fruit and veg, nuts, seed, pellets not to mention the cuddles.
Important feeling so disheartened atm

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I am sooo sooo sorry about Bruno, i will be thinking about you guys until he is safe at home *hugs* <3

You arent doing anything wrong!!!
Fargo has ripped my fly screen so much, a little bird could easily fit through, so i am always patching it back up, and if he is at his perch at the window its closed unless i am watching him.. He seems like he always wants to escape but he is happy and has alot to keep him occupied, i think he just likes destroying stuff!

Good luck and dont give up hope :)

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
I won't give up.... I got oxy back after 3 days last time, it just hard and can't help to think important doing something wrong. The window he got out of can't be closed properly as it
Is a louvered window and one is missing.
Worst part of all is he is still a little skittish around hands and just found his wings... He steps up on command but furs straight off

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
i want to cry, my heart is breaking as it sounds as if prince is sobbing :(

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
Its 1am and i can't sleep. I know bruno won't make a sound till the sun rises in 5hrs but important so worried about him. He not long learned how to fly properly (poor wing clipping etc before i got him, he is 1.5yrs old) and its blowing a gale

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Aw, let us know when he returns. He is probably not too far away and you will find him. Keep the faith.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
What am i doing wrong that my birds feel the need to escape? They have plenty of toys, hardly in their cage, fresh fruit and veg, nuts, seed, pellets not to mention the cuddles.
Important feeling so disheartened atm

It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. Parrots love to chew, and they made a hole and thought " Look at that! We can get through this hole and be on the other side! OOhhh look at these trees, wouldn't it be fun to see what's on the highest branch??"......Plus it's the adventurous call of the Wild out there. Can we really take the Wild out of a parrot? I think not.

Hope he returns soon!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I hope you find him or he finds his way home :( Maybe they are just mystified by the great outdoors rather than wanting to escape.

newclassic

Feb 17, 2013
California
Parrots
1 lovebird (April 1997), 1 cockatiel (adopted in '97 at ~2 yrs)
So sorry for your loss, I hope he returns soon! I don't think parrots have some sort of innate wanderlust that keeps them from being truly content in a domestic setting--I think they were just curious, ended up outside, and he was spooked off.

He's never been in the wild before, never known anything other than the life you and his breeder gave him; he was probably too scared to fly down. I've had a few neighborhood parrots end up in my yard, and they were just too scared to move (probably because they weren't used to really flying, and were flooded with unfamiliar stimuli). Keep us updated, and ask around in your neighborhood!

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
My neighbours probably going to hate me this morning. Its only 6.30 and i have uncovered the birds and as u can imagine its not quiet.... Prince is calling for bruno. Im so hoping he managed to stay in a tree last night with this wind and am sitting outside in hope of hearing him

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I hope your Bruno can come home soon! Please try not to be so hard on yourself with his escape. Try to concentrate on visualizing him flying to you or coming to you and landing on your hand. When you go outside to call to him and find him keep picturing that scenario in your head. Picture him flying DOWN to you from high above. Run that image in your mind over and over and over as you are calling to Bruno. I know this might sound kind of strange but parrot respond to images or "little movies" you play in your mind. I have tested this on several species of parrot from a small budgie to a large macaw and I found they have all responded to this method of communication in a positive way. I use this method to avoid bites too. The owner may say the parrot is friendly and does not bite but if I am going to step up a parrot that does not really know me I visualize the bird stepping up onto my hand relaxed and happy. Any parrot bite I ever received are from my own pets. To be honest I can't even call them bites because they are more like nips. Pain in pain though nip or bite I guess.

This is my biggest fear. Losing my parrot to escape to the great outdoors. This fear is very real to me even though I have never lost a parrot to flying away outside. It took me about a week but I taught Valentino to fly down to me from up high. I have vaulted ceilings in my home so I put Valentino up on the second floor bakers rack and stood downstairs and called to him. He didn't know how to fly down to me and he would circle and circle and land back on the bakers rack upstairs. Valentino would get so frustrated he would scream like I was killing him. The first time he flew down to me I praised him so much I got him worked up. Valentino has been able to fly down to me ever since.

I also have and continue to spend hours with recall training. Spring is coming soon and I am itching to take that parrot outside to fly him in his harness. Since Valentino is such a skilled and FAST flyer I want to make sure he will come to me 100 percent of the time when I call him. I also want to make sure he is never afraid to fly down to me from a great height in case he ever escapes our home.

I pray that you will get Bruno to come home. Please picture in your mind him flying down to you over and over and over until you are sick of the image. I can't imagine you getting sick of watching him fly to you but I cannot stress enough how picturing him flying to you will help him work up the courage to fly down to you.

Most Reactions