Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I've used pure coconut oil that is a solid. I get it in the organic section of the grocery store.
Others may use something else, I've only used it a couple of times.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Yeah, I use it too, you can put some on their beaks, my Quaker and GCC go NUTS when they see the jar because they know they get to eat a little!
I just got organic coconut oil.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Yeah, I use it too, you can put some on their beaks, my Quaker and GCC go NUTS when they see the jar because they know they get to eat a little!
I just got organic coconut oil.
My Ekko (Eclectus) LOVES it added to his chop sometimes, it must taste good:)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Yeah, when I make scrambled eggs (for myself lol) I use coconut oil instead of butter to be healthier :rolleyes:
I'll have to try that!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Yeah, like everyone said here, we use food grade/organic & you can cook with it too.

Our vet also has us using food grade organic aloe mixed 1 part aloe to 15 parts distilled water as a bath mix; but don’t put pure aloe without diluting it at least that much, it can give people and birds loose stools. It seems to help with dust and overall skin moisture especially in the winter.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
As far as I know you can use it a couple times a week (the coconut oil), and you can use an aloe mist daily. I’ve seen bumblefoot in chickens and it’s quite pronounced. Birds who climb a lot on wire can sometimes develop calluses and sores (Sammy has some), but if it looks inflamed, is weeping, or you have any other concerns, check with an avian certified vet!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When Lucy had a foot problem my vet had me moisturizing her feet with “bag balm”—a hand lotion based on what you use on cows. I now think coconut oil might have been better as it’s mildly antibacterial and antifungal, but I think he just chose a treatment I could find easily.!

She loved to have her feet rubbed as did my very old conure. Both would moan and groan when I rubbed their feet. Just like old people! Too cute.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Are you supposed to use it often? I'm just scared my macaw gets bumblefoot
Assure that your Mac is perching on very large perches!!

IMHO, occasional is much better as the more that is used, the more is carried to the feathers and as a group, oils cause the feathers to stick to itself and that halts the Parrots ability to Cool or Warm itself.

Most Reactions