Female lovebird laying eggs and no longer tame

Tryingtobebetter

Mar 31, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel, lovebird
hey!
I have a female lovebird, she was tamed and nice for the first months but then she matured and became completely wild! She started laying eggs and barely comes out of her cage(just for chewing paper)... then i got her a mate and ever since we had done nothing together.
I regret getting a bird... was it possible to avoid this?? How do you keep your bird tamed? Is it necessary to get a mate for your bird?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
hey!
I have a female lovebird, she was tamed and nice for the first months but then she matured and became completely wild! She started laying eggs and barely comes out of her cage(just for chewing paper)... then i got her a mate and ever since we had done nothing together.
I regret getting a bird... was it possible to avoid this?? How do you keep your bird tamed? Is it necessary to get a mate for your bird?
Getting a mate probably wasn't the best idea. It sounds like she was very hormonal, and getting her a mate made her even more so. PLEASE do not separate them! It is incredibly traumatizing for them. As for advice, hopefully someone more experienced can answer, I'll tag my friend @Terry57, I think she has (or had) lovebirds.

OP
T

Tryingtobebetter

Mar 31, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel, lovebird
Getting a mate probably wasn't the best idea. It sounds like she was very hormonal, and getting her a mate made her even more so. PLEASE do not separate them! It is incredibly traumatizing for them. As for advice, hopefully someone more experienced can answer, I'll tag my friend @Terry57, I think she has (or had) lovebirds.
I was told i SHOULD get a mate... of course i'm not going to seperate them! I'm just shocked to learn it was possible to control the situation and get her back. What do you guys do when your female parrot starts laying eggs and becomes completely wild? Mine even stopped getting out of the cage altogether! What could i do?
I feel like i made a mistake choosing parrotsπŸ₯²

rknol

Dec 2, 2022
I was told i SHOULD get a mate... of course i'm not going to seperate them! I'm just shocked to learn it was possible to control the situation and get her back. What do you guys do when your female parrot starts laying eggs and becomes completely wild? Mine even stopped getting out of the cage altogether! What could i do?
I feel like i made a mistake choosing parrotsπŸ₯²
^ here's a good guide for managing their hormones. providing them a mate is not the answer, they will breed and backyard breeding is an animal welfare concern (anyone who argues otherwise is talking out of their a**)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you for the tag, Stormy!
I have a pair of lovebirds, and though she has laid eggs, I replace them with dummy eggs so there are never babies. To discourage them from breeding, it will help to remove any nest or nest box as well as anything the female can shred while she's hormonal. Giving them a longer night, as in adding an extra hour to their sleep, can also help.
In order to keep your bond with your girl, it is definitely possible but will take more work. You can also tame the male as well, and have two who are tame. But it does take work and patience.

I see that you are questioning on whether getting parrots was the right decision for you - only you can answer that question. You're here asking questions, and that shows you care about them and want to do what's best for them.
Parrots are a lot of work, and if you realize that perhaps parrots are more than you want to commit to right now, there is no shame in finding them a new home.

Best of luck in whatever you decide:)

Most Reactions