Final preparations for Kiwi when baby comes

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
My baby is due at the end of this month! It has ā€œdroppedā€ all the way down, is already weighing about 6 1/2lbs according to the scan I had Friday:eek: and I've been having mild/infrequent contractions since I took a fall the other day. Baby could come at any point in the next few weeks. While I am in a clear state of mind and donā€™t have the demands of a newborn, I would like to stop and be sure thereā€™s nothing Iā€™ve forgotten about in terms of Mr. Kiwi that anyone on here can think of. This is a big change for everyone, and while Iā€™m certain he understands ā€œsomethingā€ is up, I donā€™t think he can really comprehend what exactly that might be. I would like to have things thought and planned out beforehand so he doesnā€™t end up feeling like heā€™s been forgotten about. For several months, Iā€™ve been sitting him on the crib and getting him used to being in the babyā€™s room with me during the day (Iā€™ll be staying in there for the first few months). I think heā€™s pretty comfortable in there at this point, even has a preferred spot to hang out on his perch while looking out the window. No one will be coming around for a while after the baby is born, so there wonā€™t be a big parade of strangers while weā€™re all trying to settle into a new normal here, just me, husband, the baby and the bird.

It is my assumption, knowing his temperament and personality, that he will likely just want to stick close to me and the baby on either his perch or in his POB for the first days/weeks. He has been sticking close to me since I got pregnant. Kiwi isnā€™t the ā€˜touchingā€™ type of bird, so I donā€™t think heā€™ll be jealous of me holding and cuddling on the baby or anything. I think heā€™ll just want to be able to see and be near us. Iā€™m also about to order a good variety of new toys for him that my husband can easily swap out so he doesnā€™t get bored and maybe pre load up his foraging toys with things like nuts that wonā€™t spoil? Iā€™m also ordering some pre made cooked food that will be easy for husband to make him and of course have plenty of the 2 dry foods his vet has me feeding him on hand.

As for when I go into labor, Iā€™m not doing a hospital birth unless there are complications. Itā€™s a birth center that aims to keep you at home as long as possible before coming in and to discharge you as soon as possible to get you back home to recover. Just going to leave him an extra dish of non perishable food and a full water dish. Joe can also easily run home to feed and change his water if I do end up having to stay longer in a hospital for any reason, as itā€™s only a 10-15 minutes drive away. We really do have absolutely no one here who can stop by to check up on him, so Iā€™m a bit worried how heā€™ll do on his own, possibly with the lights on all night since I wouldnā€™t want to leave him covered in the dark:(. My parents occasionally leave their birds alone for weekend trip if theyā€™ll be gone less than 48 hours without issue, so I know he isnā€™t going to die, but Kiwis never been left alone overnight before. I feel bad this will be his first time. Iā€™d be even more worried to board him at the vets for such a short time and then have the huge event of bringing home a new baby after ā€œabandoningā€ him at a boarding facility (plus the extra hassle of a 30-45 minute each way drive to drop him off at/collect him from the vets office while in labor and after having a baby, as I donā€™t want to go on that drive myself nor be left all alone while my husband goes).

Oh man, my head is just spinning from all this:p Iā€™m excited, just not sure exactly what to expect;)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Happy that your turn is coming quickly and sorry to hear of the fall.

With Hubby only a few minutes away, send him home to spend some time with Kiwi. Some Guy Bonding Time while you're resting.

FYI: Have your tech expert set-up a video link between Hospital and Home. It is not uncommon for Mrs. Boats to be Home while the Guys (Julio and I) are at the cottage. So, it is very common for Julio and his favorite Girl Friend to be with each over Skype. He really enjoys seeing and letting 'his' girl know he loves her.

Very likely you will be quickly in and back home with the newest Member of Kiwi's family. If things take a bit longer, let technology provide a link and when you are resting, have 'Dad' sneak home will be helpful to both of them.

Be happy that your Parents have done this all and are but a quick call away. It is this point in time that Parents are allowed to become Grandparents and share the knowledge...

Kiwi will quickly adjust to the short period of your not being home. Understand that as is so common with Amazons, there will be some making-up for not being home required... So, place the new bundle on joy in Daddies arms, and greet and love on your Amazon. Once that is done, introduce the families newest member too Kiwi.

As you know, splitting time and combining actives is very important to being inclusive and balanced. Kiwi will likely take on ownership. But if he doesn't that just requires a bit long introduction time and developing his comfort.

The Boats' Household is so very happy for your household. Be a loving family and everything will fall into place...

Huge and Warm Amazon Feather Hugs Good Friend. Know that your family is in our families prays.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
April, I am impressed by your clear-eyed planning and preparation! You've mastered the Seven Ps: Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Potentially Poor Performance! OK, I cleaned up the fifth P, but you get the idea! :D

I believe Kiwi will be just fine in the event of overnight absence, but you even have a contingency plan!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
April, you sound waaay more prepared than we ever were. Super impressive! Great thoughts and ideas above. I did have one simple idea regarding one of your concerns. How about one of those timers like you plug Christmas lights in to? Set it up with a lamp or two, or a radio, etc. in the room with Kiwi in case nobody is there at the regular time. Lights on in the evening when it's getting dark, off at bedtime. Problem solved :)

I wish you all the best with your impending new addition! Very exciting!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
Get a timer for the lights. When we go out and leave Sam alone, we set the timer so the lights go out at regular bedtime. This way, he goes to sleep normally. Congratulations on the baby!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Thanks everyone! I will definitely look into a Christmas tree timer for lights. Iā€™m sure HE will be fine, itā€™s me whoā€™s probably the one panicking over here a little over possibly leaving him alone overnight (Iā€™m sure the hormones donā€™t help lol).

We are very ready for this baby! As long as it stays in another 2 weeks or so to finish growing, Iā€™m ready when baby is! The baby is getting more squirmy and restless and Iā€™m just now starting to feel some discomfort in my back and hips (which may be more related to falling than the baby). My center of gravity has also shifted quite a bit in the last few weeks and my natural clumsiness plus pregnancy clumsiness does not bode well for my next few weeks lol. I slipped on a wet pine cone (of all things!) last week and fell down concrete steps. I didnā€™t hit my belly but I got scraped up from top to bottom. Not good. I feel pretty incapacitated not being ā€œallowedā€ to do simple things like carry groceries or take out the trash or even walk at a normal pace until the baby comes.

Last edited:

Most Reactions