First batch of chop!!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Woo hoo!! I finally finished my first batch of chop mix!
Ingredients:
Cucumbers, yellow squash, butternut squash
Red, green, and yellow bell peppers
Green hot chilies
Kale
15 bean mix, pearl barley, and spiral veggie pasta
094DCC6C-57A6-492F-81CA-4959433084FE-6844-0000042B7320DFEE_zpsbce18552.jpg

2 months worth of fresh food for my fids!
88C2773F-92E1-4571-BDFD-8735B47BB422-6844-0000042B7CB44F1C_zps9734391c.jpg

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
I don't even eat that good...spoiled fids... LOL. They will come around...three years it took for my budgie to eat her veggies.

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
GREAT for you and better still for your bird!!! Nothing is healthier than fresh produce!

A few comments: you might want to reconsider your choice of beans and use only small white beans because of the higher oxalates in all the other ones (it inhibits calcium absorption and creates uric acid). I would also recommend using more cereal grains so as to diminish the protein in the mix (brown rice -I like the medium size as it's rounder in shape, wheat, kamut, etc). Also, the squashes and the cucumbers will release A LOT of water so you might want to use something else that will keep it a bit drier (corn, peas, carrots, etc) which will also give it a wider range of vitamins and phytonutrients - some parrots don't like their food too wet (at least mine prefer their gloop -similar to chop- when it's not too wet or sticky and has a very rough texture).

But you did great for your first try! It has taken me years and years to get to the recipe I now use for my gloop and it's still a work in progress.

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
Looks great!!!
I went through this whole entire thing myself, chopping the best produce I could find in town, but my bird wouldn't eat the chop. She would eat fresh cut fruit and veggies a little, but the chop form of it doesn't look appetizing to her.
So, I am back to cutting fruit, veggies and greens every morning and evening......and tossing most of it into compost when she is done eating.....:mad:

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
GREAT for you and better still for your bird!!! Nothing is healthier than fresh produce!

A few comments: you might want to reconsider your choice of beans and use only small white beans because of the higher oxalates in all the other ones (it inhibits calcium absorption and creates uric acid). I would also recommend using more cereal grains so as to diminish the protein in the mix (brown rice -I like the medium size as it's rounder in shape, wheat, kamut, etc). Also, the squashes and the cucumbers will release A LOT of water so you might want to use something else that will keep it a bit drier (corn, peas, carrots, etc) which will also give it a wider range of vitamins and phytonutrients - some parrots don't like their food too wet (at least mine prefer their gloop -similar to chop- when it's not too wet or sticky and has a very rough texture).

But you did great for your first try! It has taken me years and years to get to the recipe I now use for my gloop and it's still a work in progress.

Thanks for the tips!! I'll have to refer back to these comments for my next batch.... With the squash and cucumbers I let them drain in a strainer for quite a while, but I think overall it's still too "wet" :/
He still hasn't touched it...picky lil feather butt!!! Lol

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Looks great!!!
I went through this whole entire thing myself, chopping the best produce I could find in town, but my bird wouldn't eat the chop. She would eat fresh cut fruit and veggies a little, but the chop form of it doesn't look appetizing to her.
So, I am back to cutting fruit, veggies and greens every morning and evening......and tossing most of it into compost when she is done eating.....:mad:

Same with Jackie... He'll eat off chunks of fruits and veggies, or whatever else I'm eating... But has yet to even go near the chop.

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Have you tried mixing something your bird loves in with the chop? Maybe some seed or some juice, just a little juice. I did that at first with my bird, now she loves her chop. I still sometimes add something to it to change it up a bit for her.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
If he absolutely won't eat it, try microwaving it for a minute or so and serving it just warm. My mob will eat it that way but won't touch my cordon bleu fresh chop salad to save their lives (rotten little toads!).

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Have you tried mixing something your bird loves in with the chop? Maybe some seed or some juice, just a little juice. I did that at first with my bird, now she loves her chop. I still sometimes add something to it to change it up a bit for her.

I tried mixing seed into it- didn't go near it. :(

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
If he absolutely won't eat it, try microwaving it for a minute or so and serving it just warm. My mob will eat it that way but won't touch my cordon bleu fresh chop salad to save their lives (rotten little toads!).

Thanks trish- maybe I'll give nuking it a go lol usually it comes straight from the fridge, so maybe he doesn't like it cold... picky lil feather butt!!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
try warm with a little bit of margarine, migraine is fatty but high in Vit A. After a few times cut back the margarine.I've got the same issues with Bosley

Most Reactions