First bird?

tesseagles

Sep 3, 2012
Good for you! My quaker is loud as I said but not all the time. He is definitely my bird and doesn't care that much for my husband. I think it is because he was handfed by women. Whenever we come in from work he does scream a lot until you go greet him and he is fine then. About 7:00 in the evening he gets on a screaming kick but a lot of birds tend to do that in the evenings. He doesn't do it in the mornings like a lot of birds do. He is extremely smart and I love him to pieces. Best of luck with your decision!

I do wish they would bond with more then one person. He loves me so much he purrs in my ear like a cat. But he bites anyone else who comes close. Mine does get loud at night and early in morning or when I leave the room. He was pretty spoiled for his first 12 yrs of life and now I got him. But I wouldnt trade him for anything.

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
Quakers are make great first birds. They are super smart. Some can have a vocabulary that rival a African Grey. However they are loud birds. Especially when they give out their flock call. They are one person birds. They are very loyal. They make a cool growling sound when they are a afraid of something. No bird is guaranteed to talk. So that should be your one motive in adopting a parrot. My Quaker only says Hi. However she makes it up with her beautiful personality.

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
Quakers are super birds! I have to disagree with those who say that they are loud. Our quaker is very quiet and will go all day without making noise. She lets out one squak in the morning to let us know that she is awake and that's about it other than some chatter and talking. Recently she has started to call me when I leave the room, but I totally can understand why she is doing this. I am a magazine editor, work from home and her cage is next to my desk. When on deadline I work for long periods of time at my desk and she gets used to me being with her. When she goes through these periods of yelling I just ignore it and she corrects herself in a couple of days. She is also a very affectionate bird and will go to everyone in our family. She is my son's bird and prefers him, but she goes to everyone happily. We make it a point to make sure that she spends time with everyone--dogs and cat included (supervised of course). Maybe we got lucky, but I think if you set expectations and then actively work to ensure that those are met, you will be fine! Quakers are smart and you can use that to your advantage--train your bird to be reasonable and well adjusted.

Most Reactions

Latest posts