First bird?

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
hey guys! i dont have a bird but i might be able to get 1. i really like the look of a quaker. are they good for beginners? here are a few criteria:

1. how loud are they. i mean how often do they "scream" and how loud is it?(this one if big for my mom, she thinks that all birds never be quiet)

2.how expensive is the initial investment such as, the bird, the cage, food/water dishs ect.

3. abut how much is it per month, such as food, new toys vet bills ect

4. how often do they need wings cliped and can i do this so i dont have to go to vet

5. how messy are they?(a big one for my dad)

thanks guys. if i have other ?'s ill ask!

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Welcome! I can't answer your questions specific to Quakers, but I can help with the rest.

For starters, You're mom is correct, but also incorrect. Birds can be quiet. But they are also going to make noise. You can't prevent this, nor should you try! Birds are vocal creatures, they use their "voices" to call to the rest of their flock (in most cases, their owners and members of the household), for play, for being happy to be alive. They aren't going to be non-stop vocal, they are going to have down time where they're just relaxing, and not to mention sleeping (yes, birds nap).

Expenses are difficult to judge. A good cage with plenty of room depends on the type of bird you get and the type of cage and size, that they require. A cage is one of the most important things you are ever going to buy for your bird. It's their home. It's their safe haven. It's where they go to sleep at night, where many play most of the time, it's their domain. IMO, you need to get the largest cage you can afford, with the correct bar spacing for the parrot you decide to get. Not all parrots need the same bar spacing; a Green Cheek Conure isn't going to do well in a cage with bar spacing for a Macaw, for example. On top of that, when you purchase a cage (new) you usually get the food dishes designed for that cage, along with boring, dowel "perches". You can't rely on just those perches, and I find it's always handy to have extra bowels. The cost of each individual perch can vary. You can find excellent deals online (we highly recommend mysafebirdstore.com ) but depending on the size, type, etc of the perch, they start at around $10 each. A good quality cage, brand new, is going to cost a few hundred dollars. Sometimes you can find a used cage on Craigslist (I personally don't recommend that, but to each their own), but you might not get the dishes, you might not get seed guards if you wanted them, etc. A good estimate is between $400-$800 just for cage, dishes, perches and toys to start with, if you're talking anything more than a Budgie or Cockatiel, and even they can be prices if you're starting off fresh. Not to mention you're going to want to get a perch for outside the cage, either a Manzanita or a portable (many like PVC) because your bird is going to need outside cage time. You need to spend time with your parrot, handling them and playing with them. How much out-of-cage time are you anticipating giving them?

As far as monthly costs, that also varies. Some birds go through toys like they're water. Some may play with their toys but aren't necessarily destructive with them. I've had the same toys for my GCC since I got him in October, with the exception of 2. I also rotate them out, I purchased enough that when I do the weekly cage cleaning (you need to change papers every day, but should do a good scrubbing of the cage once a week, which I'll get to in a minute), I can rotate new toys in and give the other toys a break, except for a few that he's attached to, like his bell. Toys aren't cheap, unless you decide to buy the cheap toys you see in the grocery store and for most parrots, I wouldn't recommend a large majority of those anyway! Good toys can cost $5, and I've seen some that are a significant amount more. I highly recommend a large variety of toys, from foot toys to preening toys, because a bored parrot is a bad thing. You can also opt to make some of your own toys, and there's plenty of how-to's in the DIY section of the forum. There's some fantastic ideas in there! But the supplies aren't necessarily going to be cheap either. It can be more cost effective, if you have the time and inclination.

Food also varies. On top of pellets, or a pellet seed mix (personally I give seeds only as a treat for the oils, it is not my birds diet staple ever), you need to give them fresh fruit and/or veggies daily. Pellets can vary in price, depending on where you get them, how much you get and the type you get. I feed Zupreem Naturals and I can get my food for $2.99/lbs by buying it at a local store where I can purchase it by the pound. A bag retail of the same exact food, costs $14-$18. Depending upon how much your bird goes through, that could last you two weeks, or it could last you 2 months. The larger the bird, the larger the feedings, the more food you go through.

Vet bills are also a variable. Whenever you bring a new bird home, you should take them to an Avian vet as quickly a possible - some even say before the bird enters your home. A good Avian vet can cost a pretty penny, but in most cases, you may only have to visit the Avian Vet once a year, for a general check-up and cultures and bloodwork to ensure the health of the bird. The problem with birds is that they usually don't show that they're ill until they are at deaths door. You could also end up having your bird get injured, and then off to the Avian vet you go, unexpectedly. Your bird could get ill and then you have to go to the vet periodically. So, obviously, it all depends on each individual bird and situation.

You can learn to clip your birds wings and toenails yourself, but I highly recommend finding a local bird store/shop and seeing if they do complimentary clippings. I get my birds wings and nails done for free. The rate of how often you need to clip, depends on how fast your birds wings and nails grow back. I recommend someone else doing clippings as it keeps them from associating you with the restraining ;) Some may also tell you to leave a birds wings full flighted. Personally? I've seen way too many birds get lost that way, I've seen way too many birds come in to rescues after being lost, because they were able to fly away.

As far as mess goes? Birds are messy. You are going to have to do some cleaning every day. If you have carpet where you keep your bird, vacuuming every day. Changing their cage liners every day (or you can use a type of bird "litter" which allows you to scoop out the poop, much like kitty litter and then do a complete change out once a week or every other week). If you have hardwood, sweeping every day. I also recommend that once a week, you remove everything from the cage and give it a good cleaning. I do this simply by using an old washcloth and wiping down with a vinegar solution. This is also when I take both the grating and the catch pan and scrub them out with water and some soap (I use dawn, which is what my Avian vet recommended). I also do the wooden perches with just a wet rag, unless they're rope. Once everything is dry, back in they go.

So there's my $5 for ya. I bet you didn't read it 'cuz it was so long ;)

Last edited:

emmyc

Dec 31, 2011
Waterford, Ireland
Parrots
Male Quaker Parrot 'Harry', and
Female Soloman Island Eclectus 'Ava'
Hi,
If loudness is a problem for you, I definitely wouldn't recommend a quaker! Although they are very clever and really affectionate, and quite good talkers, they make a lot of noise for a small bird :)

Em

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
hey guys, thanks for the help!

as for noise, i know birds need to talk and it is natural. i dont have a "problem" with them making noise but it will be a bit harder to convince my mom.(i had no intention of wanting one that DOESNT make noise, just wanted to know how much to expect.

as for feeding, that is not a problem at all. i already have alot of fiurt and veggies to feed because that is what my lizard eats. for feeding, do you just chop up the fruit/veggies into bite sized pieces? do you mix with pellets or feed pellets and fresh at different times?

400-800$ for a cage? WOW. well, that actually isnt to bad, i was about to spend 350 on a fish tank(i like the idea of birds better:D). what size spacing for bars is recommended for quakers? i have read gfor some birds it is 5/8in and for large parrots and macaws up to 1 in.and isnt the stainless steel supposed to be the best?

for toys, tht isnt to bad. and i know since they are smart they need alot of different toys that seve different roles. arent food puzzle toys supposed to be good ttoys for them?

i know i have to change newspapers daily and wash cage weekly. not a problem. for sweeping and such, what is that for? spilled food?(and i can vacuum on hardfloors with my vacuum! yay:D) and could a bleach and water mix work to clean the cage weeky? that is what i use for my reptiles and it would just make it easyer, but if i cant it is not a problem.

here a few more ?'s:

how much is the bird itself? i dont need a color morph, i just want normal green so it will be cheaper.

how should i feed? can i put pellets in in the morning and cut up fresh stuff for the afternoon?

how do i feed seeds? dont i just put them in and they take the shells of themselves or do i have to take off the shells?

what is the "minimum" cage size? i will probebly get bigger than the minimum but i want to know so i know what to start at.

parrots usually climb around the cage right? so i dot have to worry about his toys being i the way of him flying?

thanks guys! also, i can take the bird out for about 15-20 in the morning while i prepare the food for lizards(and maybe give him a quick snack:D). then put him away while i go to school. then when i get home he can be out pretty much all day. i get home at about 3 most of the time unless something come up. and for a perch out of the cage, should i go on top of the cage? my local store has a parrot on displey(not for sale, it is one of the workers. they rotate a few different ones every month or so.) and it has a cage andf the perch is on top of the cage with a bit of substrate incase h gos to the bathroom up there.

PS: i did read that whole postXD

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Have you considered any other species besides Quakers? In my opinion, if your parents are worried about the noise level, you might want to choose a different bird.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
If you're mom is concerned about the noise level, I really wouldn't get a Quaker. As has already been stated, they can be LOUD. Maybe consider something about the same size, but with more of a quieter reputation.

I personally don't recommend bleach for the weekly cleaning. If you get a used cage, a small amount of bleach diluted significantly in water is acceptable for disinfection, but you'll need to give it a good 24 hours to dry and then wipe down again. Yes, vacuuming is for the food and shredded toy pieces that end up around the cage, even if you have a seed guard.

You give fresh stuff in addition to pellets, and yes, in separate bowls, preferably at separate times. Yes, it is recommended that you cut/chop the fruit or veggie into manageable sized pieces.

Yes, stainless steel or even aluminum are the best, but they are significantly more in price than your typical cage. Look around online and you'll see what I mean ;) I do not know the recommended bar spacing for a Quaker. While play areas on top of cages can be good, I think it's better that they have an area to play in that isn't on/in their cage. I have a travel cage, a carrier that can be worn like a backpack, and a portable table-top cage. I'm also getting a large treestand so that I basically have a perch/play area in every room of my home. It's important that you don't seclude a bird, they need to be socialized as much as possible or you end up with a bird that's afraid of everything.

Yes, food puzzles are good for them, but so are just plain puzzle toys. Foraging toys do not necessarily have to include food. It could consist of material that your bird finds appealing. For example, I place bird-safe yarn in parts of my homemade foraging toys because that's what my Loki likes. He will chew yarn from dawn to bedtime if I let him!

I do not know the cost of a Quaker, but also, without knowing your location, it's also difficult to estimate. In some places/areas, certain birds are easier to obtain than in others.

Feeding varies from person to person. I give my guys fresh pellets in the morning and what they have is what they have until the next day. I give them fresh things about mid-day, in a separate bowl. I don't take the pellets out, that's why most cages have space for 3 cup holders ;) You also have to make sure you give them fresh water every morning, in a clean bowl.

Yes, you just place seeds as they are, part of what they enjoy is shelling the seeds and a lot of the oils they need/like are just inside the shells themselves. You can give them in a small bowl as a treat, put them in foraging toys, bake them muffins with seeds included in them, etc.

Yes, parrots don't "fly" inside their cages, they do like to flap their wings for exercise, which is why the rule is to always make sure that whatever parrot you have, that the cage is large enough that they can fully open both wings and not touch the sides of the cage.

I'm not sure that the amount of time you have to devote to the bird is sufficient enough. Not to mention, I'm not sure how old you are. If you aren't even in High School yet, I don't think a parrot is the wisest choice. As you age, you're likely to get a part time job. You're going to get your license and want to drive places. You're going to go off to college and unless you can afford off-campus housing, you're not going to be able to take any of your pets with you, especially a bird. Birds are a 30-60 year commitment unless you get a rescue bird that's already a good 10-20 years old. It's not a commitment to be taken lightly. And while birds can live the lifespan of a human, IMO it's not always a young persons pet. Lifestyles change; you'll get married and have children. Your spouse might not be a bird person. Your child could develop severe asthma and you may find it easier to rehome the bird or give it to a rescue, than to do all the necessary cleaning to help ease the childs symptoms. My Sugar was supposedly rehomed because her owners had a new baby the bird screamed all the time because she wasn't getting the same amount of attention she was used to.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I do have a little green quaker parrot named sweetie pie. you have to make sure they are legal to own in whatever state you live in. If they are I would highly recommend them. My quaker was a handfed handtamed 6 month old when I bought him in Port Charlote Fla. His price was 150.00. He gets higgens sun conure fruit, veg,seed pellet mix. he also gets fresh veg, fruits,plain rice, pasta,biry bread that I make with eggs,cornbread mix ,1 jar babyfood carrots,one whole apple peeled coredand finely chopped ,cinnomon and finely pureed zupream fruity pellets. Also potatoe sweet potatoe,fresh broccali dark leafy greens ect. he can get noisy for short periods but to me he doesn,t have the high pitch that some bird have. I bought his cage from Ebay from aplace in New Jersey, it is a flight cage for abou 120.00 with free shipping. I added other perchs as well and lots of toys. It is a flat top cage so he climbs all over it including upside down. I put a seperate 2 story tabletop stand that I bought from My safe bird store.On top and he really likes it. He is very affectionate. his hatchdate was 7/18/2011. Alison and sweetie pie:D

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
i think that whatever bird you get, you will be a great bird owner! you really care and it shows in the amount of research your doing. quakers are great, but if you want something quieter, a poicephalus parrot would also be a good choice! also, that cage is PERFECT! im cage shopping, and if i could afford it i would get it no doubt, it is absolutely perfect! you will be a fantastic owner, good luck!
PS: when you get the bird, stick around, we can help you with any questions you might have. and even if your parents dont let you get one, the forum is a great place to learn and talk about birds, ive been a member for about a little over a year and have only recently been able to get a parrot. good luck and welcome to the forum! :D

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
That cage looks great! I am sure you will be a wonderful parrot owner. Keep us informed as to what you decide. Good luck!

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
thanks guys. i alwas do my research about a pet before i buy one. and i do research abo0ut pets i wont buy too just to learn about new animals and take upp time when i bord. i researched my lizard for about 4 months before i even looked to a breeder to buy him. from what you all have said, a quaker sounds pretty good for me except the fact that they are noisy. that isnt a problem for me but my mom wouldnt like it and i dont think neighbors would either.

are there any other parrots similar to a quaker but less noisy? i want it to be:

smart(like a quaker)
loves to me with people(like a quaker)
about same size
same personalitly
looks good

im pretty much looking for a bird very very similar to a quaker but just less noisy. i would like it to be another small parrot(like a quaker is) or even one of the small macaws if it fits the bill. thanks guys

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
I have a green cheek conure and she is not loud at all. They are very comical and act like little clowns. She is smart and loves being with me and the kids ... One of her favorite things to do is go upstairs and hang out play with them. Mine does not talk but my mom has one and he says a few things. They can be nippy sometimes , but if you just watch their body language you can avoid most nips. I have had mine a year and love her to pieces : )
Good luck in your search for your fid.

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i may consider that, although i would prefer them to talk. so i am still leaning twords the quaker even though he would be loud.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Hi again like I said sweetie pie can be noisy but it usually lasts at the most five min and usually less. and that is three to five times a day except if someone is outside the lanai cleaning the gutter wich only happens twice a year. He thinks he is a watch parrot. most of the time he quietly mumbles to himself practicing his sounds that he is trying to learn. Alison and sweetie pie:D

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
i may consider that, although i would prefer them to talk. so i am still leaning twords the quaker even though he would be loud.

GCC's can talk. And just because a bird is a known talking breed, doesn't mean that your particular bird will talk, that is also, again, all personality based.

Budgies can talk. Ever hear of Disco? Do a YouTube search and you'll see a Budgie (also known commonly as parakeets) talking up a storm and quite well too. Most people don't realize that they can talk.

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
thanks guys. i am still trying to convince my parents. right now they are at a 100% NO. any ideas or lines i could say to help convice maybe?

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
Our quaker can be LOUD... for quite awhile at times. If daddy is home and doesnt pay attention to her, she yells.. and yells. Theres a video of her in the forums where she is screaming, just like my 2 year old. Of all my birds, i would have to say she is the loudest and most frequently. Most quakers are also one person birds. They bond to one person and will bite anyone else, and like most birds, can be very cage aggressive.

I think the noise is something you can potentially expect from any bird. Although i was in a pet store yesterday where they had a sun conure who didnt make a peep, which struck me as very odd.

If you are wanting a bird with a good little personality, that can talk and you dont mind it bonding only to you, quakers are fantastic. Ours has provided hours of entertainment and is a great little companion. She just had to learn to tolerate me ;)

Most Reactions