First bird?

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
they say no because "They are no messy and never shut up!". those are there exact words. i do tell them that they can be messy and i will have to vacuum every day. but i tell them that thatis good for them becuz then i can vacuum the whole house every day! and i say that they do be quiet. they only be loud at some times.

also, besides proving them wrong, i say that it is a fun pet with a good personality that you can have out and play with all day. and that it will be good to teach responsibility(i am very very very very responsible already, just to try and convince:D lol). any other ideas?

also, i hav 2 dogs and 2 cats. how do birds and dogs/cats usually get along? my 1 dog does chase things like squirrels in our yard but she would never kill them. shejust wants to play and tryed to catch them. my ther dog i know wouldnt hurt a bird. he is like 13 years old so he is unfortunatly going downhill:( my cats are what im worries about. they have killed a TON of mice in my garage. and hunt crickets that escape(the crickets are for my lizards).

so in short:
dog 1, such a sweet heart! even gives my larger lizard piggy back rides!
dog 2, very very nice and old so not very worried
both cats, very worried they would attack the bird the second i turned my back.

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
Not all birds are that messy or noisy. If you can find some linnies I bet they would fall in love. They are super sweet with big black eyes. They aren't that messy with seed flinging and such. There poos are kinda bad for a little bird, but not that bad after the big morning ones.

I also have two cats and haven't had any problems. I just make sure the doors are shut or the cats are out when the birds are out. They stopped stalking the cage after I shot them with a spray bottle of water. But my cats go outside so they usually perfer to stalk outside, not inside.

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i know some birds are less messy but i am intent o a quaker. they fit me so well and are in my price range. and my cats dont go outside:( my dog may act as a "bodygaurd" for my bird. she hates the cats and will chase them away. for exaple if i sit on the sofa and she layn o the ground next to me she will attack them
so if she is good with the bird she will hopefully chase the cats away

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
Would it be possible to keep the bird in your room? sounds like between the cats and the noise, a bird would be better off there. Then you wouldnt have to worry with cats and your parents wouldnt have to worry about noise. Do you know anyone with birds who might be willing to let you birdsit for awhile to see how your house works for a bird?

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
that is a good idea. but i dont know anyone with a bird.one of my friends may have 1 but i dont know about it but i dont think so. i may be able to SQUEEZE a cage in my room for a bird. but it is pretty full. and what about when i am not in my room. and when i take the bird out of his cage? i can be im my room 24/7 with itXD.

also, do they need some sort of play gym or stand/perch in every room so they can always be in the same room as me or can they just stand on like a desk or something? and can ai put the "main" play gym next to the cage? or does it need to be a bit away? i would like to build a play gym becuz i am pretty handy and so is my grandpa and dad. and my grandpa has ever tool known to mankind.... i would like to make is off the ground to the bottom of it is a bit above waist level. to raiseit should i have a wide base and 1 leg and then the base of the play gym screwed to that leg. or should i make a little table with 4 legs and the base of the play gym screwed to all 4 legs? i think the table version would be more stable. and how big does a play gym have to be?

how much time do you have to spend with a parrot? someon siad before that what i could spend still wouldnt be enough and that is probably more than alot of people(not saying any1 on this site, just people in general). if u didnt see i could spend ABOUT:

15-20 min in morning at about 7:30 while i cut op veggies for my lizards(and probably give him a peice or 2:D)
then i would go to school and i get home around 3:00 pl unless something important comes up. then i could pretty much keep him out the rest of the day until bedtime unless i have to go somewhere.

sorry for all the questions. i just want to be a good owner. thank you so much for heping. sorry if im a pain!

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
I would say that the best place for most birds is with their "flock" ie you. Birds should also have their own time learning to play, forage, and sleep. The time you have is probably fine, but consider how your life may change as well. A stand with wheels makes a great option so that you can take it around, though they can perch on a desk or chair, but may chew on them and eat things they shouldn't. Be sure to check that the wood that you use is safe.

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
cagei think i think i want has wheels and can be taken completly apart. i think the cage will be in my room. i dont go there often but when i get home from school it will be out of the cage almost all day either on his play gym, on a seperate perch or on me or something near me like on the sofa with me. so while i am school he will be able to play with his toys in his cage(i will have all different ones, from swings,mirrors and bells or foraging,shredding and knot toys). then when i take his out he will be interacting with people. either by being in the room on a perch or gym. or right with me.

would the cage be better off in my living room? at least then while i am at school(would still be in cage) the dogs would be running around. the only problem with being out in the living room is that when my dad has off of work he stays up until like 4am and he might keep the bird up and that is not healthy.

i found out that quakers ARE LEAGAL in new york(were i live....). so, YAY! but ALL pet birds MUST be banded. does that hurt the brd in anyway? if it does hurt him then i wouldnt want a bird because then i would be hurting a bird....

i have good news. i had a breake through with my mom! she is STARTING to agree. she is also working on my dad!(my mom breaks easyXD my dad is the stubborn drill seargent(he acuallly was a drill sergent, now a corrections officer....tough jobs lol))my dad is still saying no 100% but my mom says "The first step is that i want to see a live one at the petstore." i have no clue why she wants to see one but whatever. maybe to see their personality?

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
I wish you lived closer. I would offer to let you and your mom come meet our birds and see how our quaker is in person. Perhaps there is someone else in the forums who is closer that can. Going to a pet store is nice but in reality if you plan to get a bird from a rescue or craigslist, you dont know what problems that bird may have, behavioral or otherwise.

In my personal opinion, as a first time bird owner, i would try and find a bird that is over 2 years old.. closer to 3 or 4 so you skip the terrible two phase and dont have to worry about your mom or dad telling you to get rid of the bird.

Good luck, sounds like you're heading in the right direction.

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
lol thanks. i definetly dont think i am getting one online. either a petstoe(i have good NOT chain stores near me) or if i can find a local breeder. i planned on getting a baby, but i will take that into consideration.

how does my whole "bird plan" sound?:

Caging:
1 main cage either in my room or in living room(most likley cahe is linked in earlyer post, may be diferent cage but most likely about that size.)
a playgym in my living room(if cage is in same room it will be on top. if it is in my room i will build a stand and gym)
a T-perch in kitchen so he can be with us at meals
a desk perch by my computer(i do alot of homework and such there)
a T-perch in my room if the cage isnt there(the cage has a perch on it so if it is in my room he can sit there)
that is pretty mch every room in my house( except parents and brothers room, but i dont go in there....but if they want him in there i will build another perch)

Food:

good pellets every morning through all day(in cage 24/7)
at about 3(when i get home) i will cut of fresh food(veggies and fruit)everyday
seeds a few days per week(not only food for the day. just a bit mixed with pellets) and for treats when i like train and such

Interaction:
about 15-20 in of sitting on shoulder or kitchen perch while i prepare fresh lizard food at about 7:20 am
in cage until about 3:00 pm
take out until bedtime(planning to be around 9:00 pm) or unless something important comes up or i have to go to store(i wont be home to watch him so unless someone else does he will be in cage)

Sleeping:
wake up at around 6:30 if his cage is in my room(that is when my alarm goes off and i wake up.)
go to bed at around 9:00 pm(give or take 5 min, cant be perfect every night!:D)
is that enough sleep?

thanks guys. tell me how my plan would work! please be honest and blunt. so it is easy to know what to fix and how much. you wont hurt my feeling!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Ok, parrots need 10-12 hours of sleep, a tired parrot is a cranky parrot. Play videos of screaming Quakers from YouTube in front of your parents and see if they can handle it. Your parents need to know as much as you do so you don't give him away later. Quakers live 25 yrs give or take, where will you be then, this means no out of state colleges or dorms, certain apartment restrictions, future spouse and kids not getting along with the bird. Really consider the future and put the bird first. And banding doesn't hurt them f it's done right :). And if your parents say no, just keep your love in parrots going, my dad was a solid no just like yours, for almost three years. I just kept reading, and learning and they saw how much I loved birds. I never pestered them, just told them I would wait until I got my own house, they saw how much I loved birds and......for my birthday I got seven finches and now I'm bringing home a patigonian conure :). I honestly never thought I would EVER be allowed to get a bird, and now look! NEVER GIVE UP, and if they say no, you can get one later. If they say no to a Quaker, find what they didn't like, and find a bird without those qualities. Just don't pester, that makes them annoyed. You will make a great bird owner whenever you get your bird :D!!!

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
I've read through this entire post and I must say you seem very responsible in your research. I've never been around a Quaker or even seen one in person:11: and I spend a lot of time in bird stores! I've got a Dusky, Sun, and GCC conure not to mention the two budgies (parakeets) I have. Out of the 3 conures the GCC is the quietest. He can be loud but it's nowhere near as ear piercing as my Sun and Dusky. Everybody says a few words and out of my birds my hand fed Budgie is the most talkative. Spooky Burd learns so quickly and picks up on things said around him and to him. He's friendly like the bigger hand fed birds, but he's small and inexpensive to care for compared to the conures. He isn't destructive like Kayak is. She shreds everything and poops where ever she is.

This is another thing you'd need to be concerned about... whether you have a 'master pooper' like my Kayak or a potty trained bird like Carlisle (my sun conure... I got lucky, he came this way) It's a very easy problem to take care of. If you can't potty train your bird (there's advice all over this forum about potty training) you can always do what I do. I have receiving blankets that you get for babies at like a Target or Walmart and I tie them around my neck (like a kid wearing a cape only over my chest instead of my back and kinda over my shoulders) to help catch any "poopies" she may leave on me (it's much easier than changing your shirt every time she decides to go poopies)

As long as you're prepared to deal with the mess and time involved with a bird. They are "lifers" with you. They're easier to care for than say a dog or a cat. I personally despise cleaning cages (as members may have seen in an earlier post from me :p) but it's much better than scooping kitty litter or cleaning up dog poop. (I lost my shepherd 3 1/2 years ago after having her for 15 years. I loved her dearly but not the mess she made) If you've already have to clean a lizard cage than cleaning a bird cage shouldn't take you much longer. Vacuuming takes a few minutes (and like you said... you can vacuum the entire house since you've already got it out :p that should be a plus with any parent)

As for convincing your parents I guess show them the forum and the advice on here. There's always somebody on to help you with whatever problem you may have. That's not saying you only have to post when you have a problem! You can post whenever and share good stories, thoughts, or pictures... we love pictures! Even if they say no that's not to discourage you. I'm pretty sure Ann (a member on here) can let you know what it's like to post on a parrot forum before owning any birds.

I spend hours upon hours nearly every day at work or in class. My birds are left in their cages. There isn't anything wrong with this no matter what other people say... bird owners have lives outside of their birds. I leave the radio on in my bedroom (where they're kept) for them to listen to while I'm at work or in class. Just make sure your bird has plenty of toys to keep them entertained while you're away at school. Buy enough toys where you can change them out every few days and the bird should be okay while you're away from them. Of course once you get home you'd take them out. :D You should see just how excited they get when they hear you walk through the door. My birds recognize the sound of my car and I can hear them chirping (or screaming XD) before I even get through the front door.

Good luck with convincing your parents and don't hesitate to keep asking questions. That's what we're all here for :)

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
thanks guys! i will try to "potty train" him i guess after some basics like stup up.but if it doesnt work then oh well:D

what other tricks have you guys taught your birds that you think are either fun, funny or cool to give me some training ideas(to keep him mentaly stimulated)

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
also, i heard a couple of you like that cage that i want to get. the only problem is that most other cages that size are up to 400$. that one is only just over 200$. would that make it worse qualitly. also it is a "PETCO" brand not a well know good qualitly brand. would i be better of with something similar to this:

A&E Play Top Bird Cage - Bird - Boutique - PetSmart

it cost much more but if i need to get that for a good cage i will save up! but if the other cage will work with good quality and last for a while and be okay and safe for the bird, then i will probably get the cheaper one.

confusing post i know sorry! but bottom line:
if the cheaper cage is just as good quality i will get the cheaper one because it is same quality, bigger(not much but wtill bigger) and cheaper.
i will get the expensive one if it is more worth it quality wise. what do you think?

also, what are some good brand names for quality pellets?

i also just got bad news, all of my moms cooking supplies(pans,pots ect...) are all non-stick. so they will produce fumes. and i told my mom they are toxic to birds(and people if there are alot of fumes) and she doesnt want to part with them. she said "It is to expensive to replace all my cooking stuff! It would be a few hundred dollars! Can't you just take him in your room when i cook?!" but i can really take him in there. for 1, that would be everyday, from like 5 until 6:30. that is alot of time in my room! also, the fumes can still get in my room. my house is not big so it would probably be everywere. and in winter we cant open windows cuz in NY it can be below 0 on any given winter day. i said to start replacing it all slowly and by the time i get the bird it will all be safe. btu she wont listen. maybe ill start that idea and get her some pots/pans for mmothers day>:D.(skicky for the safty of the bird IE, no fumes)

Last edited:

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
A really great option for a cage is to check out ebay and craigslist, they usually have tons of cages ranging in quality. Make sure to ask about the bird that was in it, to ensure that your new bird stays healthy. When you do get it make sure that you scrub it down with vinegar and that it has all its parts.

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
that is a good idea. i will start looking. what are good pellet brands?

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
that is a good idea. i will start looking. what are good pellet brands?

Harrisons, Roudybush and zupreem seem to be the top 3. You can go to each website and email them for samples and they will send you some. Go with harrisons or roudy first if you can get your bird to eat it.

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
thanks. the only place that sells harrisons even close to me is about an hour away.....so not that. a can buy roudybush at a petsmart like 7 miles away i i will go with roudybush.

i have a bit of good news. i found a website of avian vets and there is 1 only 15 min away from me! so i found a vet for my future bird!

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
Your vet might sell Harrisons, if not, you can get it online too and it makes it fun to shop at the same time ;) Make sure you get a small pack of food because your new one might not take to it very easily and you will have to get them off seeds, which is no fun.

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
thanks! u guys hav helped alot

Most Reactions