First Time Macaw Dad

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
"Rosemary" Red-and-green macaw (Ara chloropterus)
Hello Everyone, an orphaned Red and Green Macaw recently came into my care unexpectedly. I have worked with many animals over the years both personally and professionally. I have worked with birds but I'll admit they are my less experienced area of animal care and this is my first time with a Macaw. I've had a lot of special bonds with animals over the years but I'm a little shocked at how quickly and deeply I'm hooked on this baby bird. I could use all the tips I can get but I'll post questions in more appropriate threads. Still don't have a name for her since I need just the right name for this bird that will likely be a part of my life for a long time, possibly the rest of my life.
A little more about me, I live and work in South America practicing and teaching sustainable agriculture and conservation. As I get known as the local animal guy I've had an increasing number of rescues coming my way, including this Macaw.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 2.00.00 PM.jpeg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum to you and your adorable new baby!
We do have members with Macaw experience when you start asking questions, and the Macaw forum has a lot of info.
Is the baby weaned yet?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. As Terry recommended, we have a lot of info about Macaws, written by birdman666 our resident macaw guru. I suggest you search on here for any and all osts by him. Also, on the Amazon forum there is a thread at the top "I Love Amazons" which has tons of GREAT info that is applicable to all parrots.

Also, this thread is very useful if you have an unweaned baby..

OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
Thank you! No she isn't weaned yet. I'm still hand feeding her and she doesn't seem to have much interest in weaning yet. Had a slow start eating well because the people I got her from were keeping her alive on bread and milk:eek:. Now she is eating well. Not really sure on her age.

Welcome to the forum to you and your adorable new baby!
We do have members with Macaw experience when you start asking questions, and the Macaw forum has a lot of info.
Is the baby weaned yet?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you! No she isn't weaned yet. I'm still hand feeding her and she doesn't seem to have much interest in weaning yet. Had a slow start eating well because the people I got her from were keeping her alive on bread and milk:eek:. Now she is eating well. Not really sure on her age.
I'm so glad you are getting some nutrients into her, and that she is now in your care.
It is recommended that they are fed as long as they want it, even once they start eating solid food. This is probably even more important given what she was being fed in the other home.

OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
Welcome and be welcomed. As Terry recommended, we have a lot of info about Macaws, written by birdman666 our resident macaw guru. I suggest you search on here for any and all osts by him. Also, on the Amazon forum there is a thread at the top "I Love Amazons" which has tons of GREAT info that is applicable to all parrots.

Also, this thread is very useful if you have an unweaned baby..
Thank you, I'll take a look at his posts

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Main things to keep in mind with hand feeding babbies - temperature, checked with a candy type thermometer and frequency. Macaws can take 6 months or more to fully wean. Let her decide when she is ready - called abundance weaning. GOod lucky , she is beautiful!

OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
Main things to keep in mind with hand feeding babbies - temperature, checked with a candy type thermometer and frequency. Macaws can take 6 months or more to fully wean. Let her decide when she is ready - called abundance weaning. GOod lucky , she is beautiful!
Thanks! Yeah I've been monitoring food temp with a meat thermometer. Question, she's been asking for food again with her crop still pretty full from previous feeding today. This is first she's done this. Do you go with demand feeding or wait until their crop empties more/closer to 4 hours from previous feeding?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to you! Glad you joined!

Thank you for taking on this baby! Milk......oh so scary! Its hard to tell in the picture, but it kinda worries me that the skin looks yellow tinged , which if is true, would indicate liver inflammation.

I'm linking some helpful articles
https://hari.ca/hari/research-facil...cine-pediatrics-housing-feeding-baby-parrots/

Page 7 in my ornithology thread I have several links
Post in thread 'Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!' EllenD gave some detailed information for a different species baby, but some of it will still be helpful to you
https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...entific-articles-on-parrots.82369/post-846194

I'm not sure the correct answer on crop and next feed. How you mix the formula is important , to wet and the liquid is replacing the calories and you will see more urine less fecal matter in poop. To dry and risk dehydration and crop impaction.
When I had to feed formula for a sick adult birds, I would weigh before feeding and after each feeding. And watched poops

Last edited:
OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots

Thank you for taking on this baby! Milk......oh so scary! Its hard to tell in the picture, but it kinda worries me that the skin looks yellow tinged , which if is true, would indicate liver inflammation.

https://hari.ca/hari/research-facil...cine-pediatrics-housing-feeding-baby-parrots/

Post in thread 'Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!' EllenD gave some detailed information for a different species baby, but some of it will still be helpful to you
https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...entific-articles-on-parrots.82369/post-846194

I'm not sure the correct answer on crop and next feed. How you mix the formula is important , to wet and the liquid is replacing the calories and you will see more urine less fecal matter in poop. To dry and risk dehydration and crop impaction.
When I had to feed formula for a sick adult birds, I would weigh before feeding and after each feeding. And watched poops
Thanks for the resources! Good spot on the skin! If you mean the yellow/orange tinge on the face, it gets a little colored sometimes from the feeding mix. Thanks for the water pointers too, I have noticed a variation in the urine levels now that I think about it corollate to how wet the mix was I made. On that note I think I've made some batches too wet but haven't seen any sign of making it too dry (my blender wouldn't let me make it too dry anyhow).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I think a meat thermometer is the wrong range for formula, which I think is supposed to be like 105deg F, but double check that. its been a long time since I fed a baby.
Too cold it messes with digestion, too hot an you could burn the crop.

Like Goldilocks, it has to be juuuuussstt right.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't think this baby is even close to weaning yet...not even fully feathered. Think around 10 months? No experience mind you. Weaning is a critical time when comes, and even continue comfort feeds to a year...or for life if doesn't trigger hormonal

But you can start offering minced up veggies and stuff

Last edited:
OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
I think a meat thermometer is the wrong range for formula, which I think is supposed to be like 105deg F, but double check that. its been a long time since I fed a baby.
Too cold it messes with digestion, too hot an you could burn the crop.

Like Goldilocks, it has to be juuuuussstt right.
Well my meat thermometer has a range of -50C to 300C so I think I'm good!😁

OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
I don't think this baby is even close to weaning yet...not even fully feathered. Think around 10 months? No experience mind you. Weaning is a critical time when comes, and even continue comfort feeds to a year...or for life if doesn't trigger hormonal

But you can start offering minced up veggies and stuff
Thanks, I agree, she shows no interest in eating on her own yet. I'm mostly curious on her age and when I might expect her to start being interested. She's starting to get feathers on the rest of her body now. Hadn't thought of life long comfort feedings but that makes sense since they do feed their mates.

OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots

Getting the right hydration of my homemade formula is proving harder than I thought. I made the mix a bit dryer which really helped bring the urine down to a normal level but then I then the next few batches I think I made too dry and her crop seemed to empty too slow. I think I'm finally hitting a happy medium here.

Baylee83

Mar 7, 2022
Parrots
Hello Everyone, an orphaned Red and Green Macaw recently came into my care unexpectedly. I have worked with many animals over the years both personally and professionally. I have worked with birds but I'll admit they are my less experienced area of animal care and this is my first time with a Macaw. I've had a lot of special bonds with animals over the years but I'm a little shocked at how quickly and deeply I'm hooked on this baby bird. I could use all the tips I can get but I'll post questions in more appropriate threads. Still don't have a name for her since I need just the right name for this bird that will likely be a part of my life for a long time, possibly the rest of my life.
A little more about me, I live and work in South America practicing and teaching sustainable agriculture and conservation. As I get known as the local animal guy I've had an increasing number of rescues coming my way, including this Macaw.
View attachment 36647
This one must be less than 3 months as I read they are fully fledged by 3 months old also the fact she received the wrong nutrition at first impacted the development. I had a lovebird that when I got him he was supposed to be 5 weeks old but looked 3 weeks behind and it was because they were giving him bread and milk.
Milk and bread is sooo common in South America ugh 😩 people here in SA don’t get that parrots are intolerant to lactose… Also parrots are Monkey See Monkey do lol so if she see you eating something she will want to inspect whatever you are eating.
Welcome 🤗 she is cute!

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Looking at the fist pictures, and knowing the history...this one is under weight, thin feet big head...Likely developmental delay so true age will be a little harder to figure but you just go by how he is developing. Often they can catch up.
" Stoddard (1988) monitors the health and development of young babies by the;

1. Plumpness of the toes, wings and rump.
  2. Skin colour – should be a flesh-toned pink.
  3. Skin texture – should be translucent and soft.
  4. Anatomical symmetry – malnourished babies often have thin feet, toes, and wings as well as a disproportionately large head."
From the best baby bird article I've ever come across
Any new pictures?

OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
Looking at the fist pictures, and knowing the history...this one is under weight, thin feet big head...Likely developmental delay so true age will be a little harder to figure but you just go by how he is developing. Often they can catch up.
" Stoddard (1988) monitors the health and development of young babies by the;

1. Plumpness of the toes, wings and rump.
  2. Skin colour – should be a flesh-toned pink.
  3. Skin texture – should be translucent and soft.
  4. Anatomical symmetry – malnourished babies often have thin feet, toes, and wings as well as a disproportionately large head."
From the best baby bird article I've ever come across
Any new pictures?
She's doing great! More curious and fun every day! Lots of wing flapping she seems eager to fledge. She started rolling over in my lap and lifting her wing up when she's really comfortable and no one else is around. Here are some updated photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20220314_162730813.jpg
    IMG_20220314_162730813.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20220313_210115575.jpg
    IMG_20220313_210115575.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20220313_210110642.jpg
    IMG_20220313_210110642.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 78

Most Reactions

Latest posts