Flax seeds; do they need to be grinded?

danbrah

Sep 18, 2013
Hello I have a CAG.
I have heard before that flax seeds should be grinded to eat because they could possibly choke / swallow it or something?

Is this true, it's hard to believe because they crack the smallest of things.. my grey literally tosses the shell of brown rice and eats whatever is inside lol. I didn't even know brown rice had a shell till I saw all the leftover rice in the bowl after he devours everything.

So could anyone tell me a 100% accurate answer on if there is a cause for worry of eating flax seeds whole?

and if possible if anyone can also tell me if it is safe for them to eat Hemp seeds that still have their shells?

Thank you so much

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Ground flax seeds have more nutritional value than whole flax which is the primary reason to grind them.
It is best to buy them whole and grind them as needed as their life shelf is shorter once ground.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
White rice is brown rice without the shell.

There are places that sell sterilized hemp seeds for birds. May cause some birds to be extra hormonal.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I sometimes add whole flax seeds to the top of my birdie bread, the girls seem to enjoy it. I do it just to add some variety. Today I pushed fresh blackberries, raspberries, blueberries into the birdie bread before baking. It came out of the oven looking tasty and beautiful.

lquan

Nov 6, 2013
El Monte, CA
Parrots
Yellow Sided Conure
My conure loves whole flax seed. If a small parrot like conure can peal flax seeds and eat them, surely a CAG can do the same easily.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
My conure loves whole flax seed. If a small parrot like conure can peal flax seeds and eat them, surely a CAG can do the same easily.

The idea is for them not to peel them precisely. The majority of the good stuff is in the shell which is almost impossible to totally grind with a beak (horses have flat teeth and can masticate them so get all the nutrients that way). But parrots can't which is why serving them grounded is more beneficial than whole.

Most Reactions