Floor issues

TerraBoo

Jul 2, 2022
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
I can’t seem to get my macaw to play with me on the floor. She will at my mother-in-law‘s house where she lives for now. But on her weekend visits with me she will only get on her perch or her cage. She won’t play on the floor with me here. What should I do?
My Terra Boo for life!!!

Attachments

• 74923933-1106-43B1-8035-A6C6C76B0601.jpeg
    74923933-1106-43B1-8035-A6C6C76B0601.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 52

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I can’t seem to get my macaw to play with me on the floor. She will at my mother-in-law‘s house where she lives for now. But on her weekend visits with me she will only get on her perch or her cage. She won’t play on the floor with me here. What should I do?
My Terra Boo for life!!!
Perhaps she just feels more comfortable with your MIL right now since she is with her all the time. I would say to just go at the pace that TerraBoo feels comfortable with.

Have you tried sitting in the floor and eating something she can eat? Or playing with a toy by yourself down there so she may want to come down and see what you're doing?

That may help. I try to keep my birds off the floor so I'm not sure I can be of much help:(

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Is the floor covering the same at your house as at your mother-in-law's house? The texture of the floor may make a difference to your Macaw. My CAG rarely goes on the floor, but when she does, she hates being on a rug and hurries to the vinyl floor.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
All I can say is birds are weird. As the above response stated its a possibility that your macaw simply doesn't like the flooring at your house. Maybe there's something like a plant that your macaw is afraid of. It really could be anything. I've stopped trying to understand bird logic as they tend to dislike things so randomly.

I would still do your best to put your macaw on the floor, and give lots of treats and praise for being there. Helping your macaw overcome fears, and learning to adapt to a new things can be so beneficial. For an example my Ekkie will not take treats, or food from anyone else but me. He has bonded to me, and refuses to eat for someone else for some odd reason. I felt flattered at first, and then I realized that if something ever happens to me no one will be able to babysit Nico.

Most Reactions

Latest posts