Floor Protection

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
I'm currently using a shower curtain liner to protect my hardwood floors below the bird cage. Works well, but I'm considering changing to a clear plastic office chair floor protector. The reason for the change is my robot vacuum doesn't like the shower curtain. What are others using? Comments and suggestions please.

Budgie_Addicted

Sep 7, 2021
Media
Australia, QLD
Parrots
Astro - violet yellow face budgie (juvenile male)
I don't use anything and my birdcage is in my room against my wall on carpet. Risky I know but he doesn't shoot his poops luckily. I have to vacuum everyday around his cage though. A good suggestion though from me would be if you are worried about your floors, use a non-slip plastic office chair floor protector - like you said.
Here is a link for a cheap grippy one:
Hope this helps!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I use the office mat route, but I dont have a robot vacuum. the thickness might be too much of a bump for the robot. You can try finding one with a beveled edge, but I dont know where you would find one.

OP
S

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
I use the office mat route, but I dont have a robot vacuum. the thickness might be too much of a bump for the robot. You can try finding one with a beveled edge, but I dont know where you would find one.
The reason why I was considering the office mat was because the shower curtain liner gets tangled. I don't think the office mat will be a problem because the robot easily climbs door sills and throw rugs. Its worth a try.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Options abound, I’m in the middle of this contemplation myself. You can get a washable rug. Robot vacuum safe and can pop into the washer for easy clean.

also an indoor/outdoor rug that you can simply power wash outside as needed.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
I'm currently using a shower curtain liner to protect my hardwood floors below the bird cage. Works well, but I'm considering changing to a clear plastic office chair floor protector. The reason for the change is my robot vacuum doesn't like the shower curtain. What are others using? Comments and suggestions please.
I have used the Acrylic sheets from Home Depot to protect the floor around the cage stand. No need to get the 1/8 inch thickness as it is quite expensive, the 0.093 inch should be sufficient and much cheaper. You can buy a bigger piece and cut them up yourself according to your need. They are super easy to clean.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I've used painter's plastic for years. Sold in rolls easily cut to size, though less aesthetically pleasing than other materials. Hung from second story deck for day and half to outgass harmful odors.

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
I use a splat mat that's used under a high chair. It has the grippy material on the bottom so it doesn't slide.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210824-100447_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210824-100447_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 106
OP
S

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
Thanks to everyone. I purchased the Office Depot product. It has been a great success. It lays flat, is very transparent and doesn't bunch up when I move the bird cage. The old shower curtain liner has found a home it the garage as a drop cloth.

Most Reactions

Latest posts