Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Amigo's flying free "training"??
A lot of people have asked me about how I trained my bird, Amigo, to be a free flyer, what training techniques, videos, format, etc. Haha, these questions always make me smile and think back to his beginning to fly freely days. At this time, 2yrs. ago, I had no idea that there WERE training techniques or videos available! What the heck was a clicker?? A parrot forum?? Who knew?! I was still in the dark, pretty much, with what we were about to introduce to not only Amigo, but my husband and myself.

Amigo came to me a very unhappy, caged bird. The previous owner was an old friend that lived about 5-6hrs. away, I had met Amigo once, but that was several years ago. She was having to move and asked if we would help her out by taking him in, just till she got settled. Well...long story short, he ends up being a forever bird. Before Amigo, we had NO experience with birds. It felt like our home had been taken over by an alien, it was horrible! Thank God, he bonded to our 16yr. old son, so he was at least manageable when my son was home from school. Son leaves for college...now what? I call previous owner and plead with her to take Amigo back, at least till my son was home for summer vacations. No way, she says, can't do that, still unsettled. Bummer! Within a week, Amigo bonds up with me, decides he is IN love with me, (lucky me), and life continues. He was still this force in the house that could not be trusted around other people. At least I could handle him, thankfully. I could not keep him happy with toys, good food, lots of entertainment, he always seemed to be discontent. This is a big assertive bird.

A year after having this bird in our home, my brother-in-law recommended this book called King Solomon's Ring, by Konrad Lorenz. Lorenz was a naturalist living in Europe in, I believe, around the 1930's. He studied animals in their natural settings, as much as possible. He acquired a pet cockatoo, not sure which kind, but one of the larger ones, and allowed it to be free. He kept an open window in his home just so the bird could come and go, at will. This bird was bonded with him, this bird knew where home was. This book started us on our path to allowing Amigo to be free.

After living with Amigo for two years, in the home. My husband suggests that maybe we should try Konrad Lorenz's technique. I'm like,,What?! I know you don't like this bird, (only because the bird doesn't like him), but I am not just going to let him GO!!? I re-read the book, and the more I thought about it,, the better it sounded for a bird like Amigo. His personality, his size, his aggressiveness. The only problem now was...his wings are clipped. Which was a good thing.

We had an outdoor cage for Amigo during the day and when we were outside, on the deck, I would have him with me, or when my son was home, he would hold Amigo, out of his cage sitting on a chair. Through this time, Amigo's flight feathers were coming back, slowly. My husband built a ramp, ( a 2"x4"x10' board), that wired on to Amigo's outside cage on to a large oak tree limb, next to the deck. The first time he came out of his cage to the ramp, he was scared but curious. He walked up the ramp into the tree and loved every minute of it! He hung out there for about 3hrs. chomping down limbs the whole time! He finally came down and we sat on the porch some more.

This bird was totally bonded to me when he started to fly. He knew where home was, food and water. He was a terrible flyer when he first started to really take off. Lots of crash landings and misses. He would over-shoot a landing spot and end up sprawled out on the ground. At that time, he wasn't strong enough to take off from the ground, so would coming running towards me, to heIlp. I would follow him around the property, scared to death, that I was going to lose him. I called to him constantly so he would know where I was. When he would get too far away, I would head back to the house and call to him as I went. He followed. There were times when we had to get the ladder out to retrieve him from a tree because he didn't know how to fly down.

I hope this post wasn't too terribly long. This bird is NOW, 2yrs. later, a Jedi warrior out there! To see him this way was worth every minute of stress and sleepless nights of wondering if we were doing the right thing by him. I think we did good!

headfeathermistress

Apr 22, 2012
Media
Battle Ground WA
Parrots
CAGs
Quaker
Poicephalus
Budgies
Green Cheek
I am glad it has been successful for you. I would free fly indoors but just could not do it outside. I am way to much of a worrier. Too much danger for my poor heart to handle

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Lovely to read about Amigo's training...

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

Hi headfeathermistress, I would never have done this with Amigo if he was a smaller, less forceful bird than he is. The fact that he is as large as the red-tail hawks in our area and is very aware of his surroundings allows him an advantage over being a smaller bird.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I LOVE what you have done with Amigo! I wish I could do the same with Rome.

parrot14

Jul 30, 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
Parrots
sun conure, yellowside conure, long tailed parakeet, black bearded parakeet, african grey
what a story!! this is similar with what I saw a decade ago in an island in papua, Indonesia... home for cockatoo species. I saw local people call a triton cockatoo perched on a tree when we're docking for drilling business, and suddenly Mr triton flew down and following the man home. Gosh..... the triton is his pet!! Mr triton used to wait his owner every evening there, everyone in the small island knows it, so no one's willing to catch mr triton. Such awesome experience inspired me in parrot-ing up to now.

SpringCottageParrot

Jun 6, 2012
The Weald of Kent
Parrots
Casper a blue fronted Amazon
That's a wonderful story. I have never liked the idea of keeping birds in small cages just for the gratification of their owners and the only reason we have Casper is because he was my Mother's bird and he chose my wife Margaret as his new best friend while we were looking for a new home for him. So now I salve my conscience by always leaving his cage wide open so that he can, if he chooses to, come out. Unfortunately we only have a small garden that fronts onto a main road and the trees are both poisonous to parrots (a yew and a magnolia) so letting him roam out there is not an option. My mother did let him play in the apple tree in her back garden before she had her stroke and he used to love stripping the bark off the branches whilst the wild birds were sneaking into his cage and eating his food. Perhaps we should get him a flight suit and let him fly in a field. What do you think?

Last edited:
OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

From other people who know more about flight suits, than I, they really like them. Some birds are harder than others to dress maybe someone that knows, will pop on here.

Out of cage time is very important if you are keeping a captive bird, I'm happy to hear you are doing this.

Yeah, parrot14, Amigo is a definite pet. He will fly to the nearest tree when anyone drives in, just checking them out and will normally say, "Hi there", unless he doesn't know them. Then, he will watch and follow them around the yard, tree to tree. This is his territory and he always wants to know what's going on in it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts