MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Missy is 10 weeks old, nearly finished weaning - down to one top up a day now - if that. She loves peas and corn, cooked egg ( still am thinking cannibal with this)and some seeds and fruit and she is my only bird so what do I feed her and is it something that can be frozen in batches for thawing when ready? The fruit she might have some for a couple of days then no fruit for a couple of days.... I hear that because of the sugar content they need to be used sparingly? She isn't overly keen on frozen strawberries but seems okay with them fresh.
Her peas and corn is from frozen and I freeze opened eggs in patty tins individually and cook them as needed so as to not waste eggs passing the use by date (I don't eat eggs).
I hear people talk of "salad". What is this and can it be frozen?
I've also cooked and mashed together, pumpkin, sweet potato and normal potato and again heard to not give her potato... reasons unknown. She does like this "mash" but not as much as her peas.
Being she is my only bird (wanting to say thankfully but there's a louder voice yelling "SO FAR!!" in the back of my head) and that I live alone, making anything in batches too big that cannot be frozen is going to be wasted.
I haven't got set meal times for her... should I do this? At the moment she comes to the food when she wants it. And what about portion size?
Suggestions please?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
1. Birds don't need fruit in their diet, but if they like it, you can give it as a treat. Fruit is much higher in sugar and lower in nutrition than vegetables are. So you are right.

2. The "salad" is chop, which is a finely chopped mixture of vegetables and other ingredients (herbs, grains, legumes, etc.) Chop is better than plain vegetables because it offers a ton of variety. Make it with a food processor and any amount of healthy ingredients, and serve in a separate food bowl. Chop can and should be refrigerated but not frozen.

3. My birds don't know that they're getting their food at 8:30 am sharp, and then wait exactly seven more hours for their next meal. But I do chop in the morning, pellets in the evening, and for the little guys (budgies and parrotlet) a small plate of vegetables at noon.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
1. Birds don't need fruit in their diet, but if they like it, you can give it as a treat. Fruit is much higher in sugar and lower in nutrition than vegetables are. So you are right.

2. The "salad" is chop, which is a finely chopped mixture of vegetables and other ingredients (herbs, grains, legumes, etc.) Chop is better than plain vegetables because it offers a ton of variety. Make it with a food processor and any amount of healthy ingredients, and serve in a separate food bowl. Chop can and should be refrigerated but not frozen.

3. My birds don't know that they're getting their food at 8:30 am sharp, and then wait exactly seven more hours for their next meal. But I do chop in the morning, pellets in the evening, and for the little guys (budgies and parrotlet) a small plate of vegetables at noon.
How long does the chop last in the fridge? I think my processor might mush the food, will have to test it.
What about rice and pasta? Cooked or raw? Can uncooked pasta be part of a toy?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
How long does the chop last in the fridge? I think my processor might mush the food, will have to test it.
What about rice and pasta? Cooked or raw? Can uncooked pasta be part of a toy?
Though a big batch of chop can technically last a whole week, I recommend only 3-4 days. If your bird likes rice and pasta, use it as a treat-it's not the most healthy thing. Also wild rice is much more nutritious than white rice.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Though a big batch of chop can technically last a whole week, I recommend only 3-4 days. If your bird likes rice and pasta, use it as a treat-it's not the most healthy thing. Also wild rice is much more nutritious than white rice.
Sorry to ask so many questions but is it raw or cooked? Rice and pasta I mean... raw or cooked?

Most Reactions

Latest posts