For the love

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
Hi.

I have been researching on amazons for months and other species of parrots and keep coming back to amazons. I have had parrotts before so know they can be loud . I just can't work out from videos etc just how loud an Amazon is compared to a Quaker or IRN for example.
I am in a house but My neighbours are close. I can tolerate the sunrise/sunset calls but is an amazon too loud for the suburbs. People I have spoken to say no but looking for more opinions
TIA

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Really depends on the individual. My little Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty, is pretty quiet all day, until its time to start preparing dinner, and even then it only for 15-30 minutes, and he is easily distracted by singing to him or whispering. But when he wants to be loud, yes its loud, but no more then a quaker might be. Oh he sings and plays pretty loudly as he squawks at his toys, nothing outrageous tho.

Keatz

Jan 5, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Oscar (eclectus)
Basil (Amazon)
Like Salty said, it depends of the individual. Mine can be loud, but he doesn't squawk a lot, and when he does, it doesn't really last long. I wouldn't say that he's noisy.
I have an eclectus parrot, and although he's not quite as loud, he's very noisy, often making a cacophony of loud, shrill noises. My Amazon is a lot quieter.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My YNA Bingo is fairly quiet.
He doesn’t do the morning/evening screaming.
He screams when everyone leaves the room and he’s left all alone.
And he screams when he doesn’t get something he wants.
The Twins (Mexican red headed amazon) have multiple screaming triggers.
If Bingo is playing with his toys Merlin screams.
If Merlin is playing with toys Luna screams.
When the twins are. Out of the cage both birds scream. If they aren’t within 3 feet of each other.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
We have 3 Amazons:
Ki is a Red Lored and he is especially quiet. He never screams at all.
Slater is our Orange-winged Amazon and when we first got him he screamed - a lot - but only when I was in the room. After a couple of year we finally made friends and now he doesn't scream at all.
Dexter is our Yellow-crowned Amazon, and he only screams in the evenings when it's time for his last meal and bed, maybe for 30 minutes or so.

My neighbours are also close, and the only bird we can hear outside is our cockatoo, and even he is muffled.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have over the years had all three of the "Big Hot Three" Amazons and have found that each have their moments and can awaken the dead, if you will. Not like a Too or Mac, but to a point that having the windows open, they can be heard outside. Big Parrots can make loud noises and I have always believed that if noise is an issue, Do Not Get a Big Parrot.

Please read the two Sticky Threads at the Top of the Amazon Forum as they will provide information that will be helpful!

Please do not get a Parrot because you want one. Allow the Parrot to choose you!! They are much better than we are as they are interested in forming a bond!! A Parrot that chooses you will bond faster and that is what really matters!

Last edited:

Most Reactions