Honesty

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
Hi
I have had parrots like galah and quakers and then conures.
I have not had an amazon. It is my dream bird...I'm looking for honesty...my neighbours are close.....is an amazon a bad choice? It's my dream bird but I really don't want to loose it due to excessive screaming..I don't think the sunrise/sunset an issue.... it's more noisy vs loud a couple times a day scenario.
Please be kind . I have done months of research, video watching x hing etc but I'm looking for experienced honesty .

OP
P

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
I will add I work from home.
I do phone calls with clients and staff and zoom meetings (less frequent than calls) .

smwboxer

May 31, 2020
San Juan Cosala, MX
Parrots
Mealy Amazon - George
Double Yellowhead - Fred
Maximilian's Pionus - Pancho
Blue Ringneck - Kramer
Military Macaw - Abulardo
Red-Lored Amazon - Lucy
Really depends on the individual bird. My Yellow Yead barely ever shuts up. Not screaming all the time but talking, singing and whistling. My Mealy very quiet and rarely makes a peep or screams.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Check out this thread with tons of Amazon info! It may help you get some more insight:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I love Amazons, as well, but now with a life time of Loving Amazons, I am more careful on recommending them because of the 'I want' thing that Humans get their minds all locked around.

I strongly believe that Humans need to stop wanting and simply allow the Parrot to choose them! This is especially true with Amazons!! All large Parrots want to develop a Bond Relationship with their Human. The quickest and surest way for that to happen is for the Amazon to choose the Human!!

Your request to Being Kind, really does not fit with a discussion regarding Amazons as a Human being stupid around an Amazon is a quick way to ensure getting serious bitten. Amazons expect that you know their Body Language (See: Understanding Amazon Body Language in the Amazon Forum) as they use it to communicate a vast amount of information. I can tell long before I even get close to my DYHA if he is interested in a Step-Up as I have been watching his body language and listening to his verbal response to me, long before I even position by finger for a Step-up..

Amazons run the full gamut regarding level of noise! Placing a requirement of having a passive /peasefull Amazon that does not wake-up the dead will only assure that is what will happen. I find when you need them to be silent, they will be waking-up the World and when you want to show-off your Amazon, they will look at you like you are nuts and claw-up.

An Amazon is a Parrot in which you live with, not the other way around. Amazon's love to be with their Human flock and when placed away will scream to be with you. Amazons love to be in communications with their Human flock and love to contact call with them as a means of assuring that everything is okay.

If you are unwilling to live with an Amazon on their terms, your likely not a good fit.

OP
P

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
I love Amazons, as well, but now with a life time of Loving Amazons, I am more careful on recommending them because of the 'I want' thing that Humans get their minds all locked around.

I strongly believe that Humans need to stop wanting and simply allow the Parrot to choose them! This is especially true with Amazons!! All large Parrots want to develop a Bond Relationship with their Human. The quickest and surest way for that to happen is for the Amazon to choose the Human!!

Your request to Being Kind, really does not fit with a discussion regarding Amazons as a Human being stupid around an Amazon is a quick way to ensure getting serious bitten. Amazons expect that you know their Body Language (See: Understanding Amazon Body Language in the Amazon Forum) as they use it to communicate a vast amount of information. I can tell long before I even get close to my DYHA if he is interested in a Step-Up as I have been watching his body language and listening to his verbal response to me, long before I even position by finger for a Step-up..

Amazons run the full gamut regarding level of noise! Placing a requirement of having a passive /peasefull Amazon that does not wake-up the dead will only assure that is what will happen. I find when you need them to be silent, they will be waking-up the World and when you want to show-off your Amazon, they will look at you like you are nuts and claw-up.

An Amazon is a Parrot in which you live with, not the other way around. Amazon's love to be with their Human flock and when placed away will scream to be with you. Amazons love to be in communications with their Human flock and love to contact call with them as a means of assuring that everything is okay.

If you are unwilling to live with an Amazon on their terms, your likely not a good fit.
Thank you 😊
Its not the vocal activity that concerns me at all, it's the screaming possibility frequently during the day.
I'd love the zon to choose me. I am talking to a breeder and have requested exactly that when she asked my preference in species and gender. I must say female is my first preference.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you 😊
Its not the vocal activity that concerns me at all, it's the screaming possibility frequently during the day.
I'd love the zon to choose me. I am talking to a breeder and have requested exactly that when she asked my preference in species and gender. I must say female is my first preference.
Ok, but which species as the Amazon family is the largest in the Parrot World!

Parrots scream because of what Humans do or better stated do not do!

Have you read the Two Threads at the TOP of the Amazon Forum? And, what questions do you Have?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Amazon owners do not come for me. I am talking about my experience with them which was in a shelter setting. No bond was formed.

Any larger bird like an Amazon can be a lot to clean. The larger the poop the harder you have to scrub. They also take up more room because they require a large cage.

In my experience with Amazon’s their demeanor was hard to read. The one I’m thinking of in particular would bend forward for a head scratch, and the next minute I was getting snipped at. As I was going to leave the shelter this Amazon would follow me to the door. It would look like she really liked me, and wanted to come with me. Guess what… when I opened the door after leaving to pick her up, and bring her back upstairs she’d dive at me, and attack. When I was cleaning her cage she would watch, and inspect. Then when I turned my back she’d snip at me. She was like this to a lot of volunteers. In general I felt like she was very hard to read.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I will add amazons are highly intelligent. This very same Amazon I’m talking about above had a large vocabulary, she really enjoyed singing. She knew a lot of tricks, and she was very cared for. Her owner had passed away, and the family didn’t have the experience with her.

Another thing to look into before parrot ownership is doing research on a fully matured Amazon if that’s the parrot you are set on. Baby parrots, and matured parrots can be very different.

Amazons have the capability of screaming (a lot), and their calls aren’t necessarily quiet. I wouldn’t say they are Macaw loud, but I wouldn’t say they are green cheek conure quiet either.

All 3 of my parrots love phone calls. It really gets them excited, and they like to be extra noisy when I’m on the phone. They do this with my ring alarm/doorbell too.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I too have had lot's of experiences with amazon's and different species of amazons.
My Mexican red headed amazons are very loud and scream quite a bit.
Bingo my yellow nape is not so bad when it comes to outright screaming.
He only screams
1 if everyone leaves the room for an extended period of time leaving him all alone.
2 if he doesn't get something he wants, usually food.

But as well mannered as Bingo is even he might not be a good fit if you found one just like him.
He really likes to contribute to any phone conversation that is going on withing his range.
It's not usually loud but it makes it difficult to concentrate on your own conversation with Bingo saying Ok, OK yah , Oh and other random words .

Birdmom2a2

Nov 9, 2017
Colorado
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon
I live with an LCA, who is now 23 yrs old. She has been with me since she is 10 months old when her previous owner "traded her in" for a Macaw. She picked me out when I walked by her and she jumped on my shoulder. She is a fantastic companion and does not scream or bite. That said, I learned her body language quickly and have always listened to her (unless her safety is at risk). She is full flighted. LCAs are one of the smaller Amazons, weighing about 430 grams. I definitely recommend an LCA for a beginner 'big' bird owner as I have read they are more even tempered than the larger Amazons. Kiwi has no hormonal behavior, and I have been told that is typical for the LCA. I lived in an apartment for about 5 yrs with Kiwi and also had a Goffin's cockatoo at that time. I never had a complaint from my neighbors. She does not like to be touched although likes?/tolerates? head and neck stritches for a short period of time. I tried to get her to wear a harness but no go. I do have an avian backpack and she loves to go for walks. Of course, each bird is an individual but I hope my experience helps. Good luck.

OP
P

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
Ok, but which species as the Amazon family is the largest in the Parrot World!

Parrots scream because of what Humans do or better stated do not do!

Have you read the Two Threads at the TOP of the Amazon Forum? And, what questions do you Have?
I have yea but just looking for opinions and opinions

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I thought about a large bird, especially when I was younger but about a 100gram bird or less is perfect the sun or a quaker. They are "pick and place" birds.....they get into trouble you just pick them up from the back say nope and put them somewhere else.

I know the personality of the larger and arguably smarter birds on youtube but I have a nice comfortable flow going on with my flock. No need to expand past what I have.

OP
P

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
I thought about a large bird, especially when I was younger but about a 100gram bird or less is perfect the sun or a quaker. They are "pick and place" birds.....they get into trouble you just pick them up from the back say nope and put them somewhere else.

I know the personality of the larger and arguably smarter birds on youtube but I have a nice comfortable flow going on with my flock. No need to expand past what I have.
What do you have?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).

Most Reactions

Latest posts