formula rejects Sunconure...(6weeks)

sollahan

Nov 8, 2021
Parrots
Sunconure
fineapple conure
Hi!
I'm worried about my Buddy. Can you guys help me out?

My little has been born six weeks (46 days).
He 125g, can fly 2m.(very energetic.)

recent days, he doesn't eat more than 5ml once a feed.
(It takes about 30~50 minutes to do this. he's too distracted)
He can't chew solids yet.
* formula is 38 ~41ยฐ/ house is 31~32ยฐ

His stomach very healthy!!
(chest gets flat in about 3 hours, no lumps or stagnant food left in his chest.
and I always tried not to produce air-bubbles in his chest)
His poo also a very healthy too.

I try feeding, he walk and fly around playing.
and spits out the formula using tongue. (Not vomiting)

His chest is flattened every 3 hours, so I feeding every 4 hours.
But he hates formulas more and more.

He doesn't lose weight, but i worried about his stress.

He sometimes begs me for food.
But when I feed formula, he say NOOOOOO!!

So my efforts:

-Soak grains + pellets in warm water or formula.
(he can't chew, they all flow out of his beak)

-Cut the fruits into sizes pellets.
(Apple, pear, grape, banana, kiwi, etc.. He likes this.
However, him 2~3 minutes to chew and swallow a 1 bite.......
In this way, even after an eternal time, he cannot be full.)

-Peed formula every 4 hours, ignoring his stress.

no medical problem with my bird.
Nevertheless, he doesn't eat formula.
Is it okay to let eat too little? What should I do?

I disinfect all formula tool in boiling water every time.
And i never mistaked in controlling the formula temperature.

Tell me how can help him.....เฒฅ_เฒฅ

Last edited:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Hi! Another member has posted a thread about a conure refusing formula, so I'm sure you can find some advice from there:
Of course, you will get plenty of help from this thread as well.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the Forums, sollahan and your baby Sun.

Unfortunately it seems that your baby bird was sold to you far too young - this is not your fault as sadly many breeders and sellers appear to be more keen on making a sale than they are about the bird's welfare. Your predicament seems very similar to that of another member who has also just joined our community today, so I will share the same posts and links with you as I did with them, in hope that it will help you...

Best thing you can do it get him fully weaned and ready for a long life as effectively and safely as possible.
One good way to start is mixing up formula and putting it into a dish in his cage and monitor that he is actually eating some by himself as otherwise you will need to continue syringe feeding.
Another key and probably the most important tip is feeding palatable foods that he likes. Soft foods like bananas, peas, corn, steamed carrots are all excellent ways to get him onto an adult diet. Softened pellets in water too and even some commercial dry egg and biscuit mix powder would be beneficial

Along the way in the next couple weeks, ensure to monitor his progress and reduce the syringe feeds slowly until you eventually are able to Eliminate formula completely in a few weeks

Best of luck, keep us updated with his progress!

And another resource written by a very experienced member here that may have some info that will help you...

...and here is a link to the whole thread, as there were a number of other responses from our wonderful members that you may find useful too...

Personally I would be enlisting the help of a certified avian vet (NOT a dog and cat type vet) for support too. Understanding that I'm not sure of your location or availability of avian vets, the following link may help you to find one......

Thank you so much for joining, and I wish you and your precious baby all the very best! ๐Ÿ™

OP
sollahan

sollahan

Nov 8, 2021
Parrots
Sunconure
fineapple conure
ํฌ๋Ÿผ์— ์˜จ ๊ฑธ ํ™˜์˜ํ•ด, ์†”๋ผํ•œ๊ณผ ๋„ˆ์˜ ์•„๊ธฐ ์„ .

๋ถˆํ–‰ํžˆ๋„ ๋‹น์‹ ์˜ ์•„๊ธฐ ์ƒˆ๋Š” ๋„ˆ๋ฌด ์–ด๋ฆฐ ๋‚˜์ด์— ๋‹น์‹ ์—๊ฒŒ ํŒ”๋ฆฐ ๊ฒƒ ๊ฐ™๋‹ค - ์•ˆํƒ€๊น๊ฒŒ๋„ ๋งŽ์€ ์‚ฌ์œก์ž์™€ ํŒ๋งค์ž๋“ค์ด ์ƒˆ์˜ ๋ณต์ง€์— ๋Œ€ํ•œ ๊ฒƒ๋ณด๋‹ค ํŒ๋งค๋ฅผ ๋” ์—ด๋งํ•˜๊ณ  ์žˆ๋Š” ๊ฒƒ์ฒ˜๋Ÿผ ๋ณด์ด๊ธฐ ๋•Œ๋ฌธ์— ์ด๊ฒƒ์€ ๋‹น์‹ ์˜ ์ž˜๋ชป์ด ์•„๋‹ˆ๋‹ค. ๋‹น์‹ ์˜ ๊ณค๊ฒฝ๋„ ์˜ค๋Š˜ ์šฐ๋ฆฌ ์ปค๋ฎค๋‹ˆํ‹ฐ์— ๋ฐฉ๊ธˆ ๋“ค์–ด์˜จ ๋‹ค๋ฅธ ๋ฉค๋ฒ„์™€ ๋งค์šฐ ๋น„์Šทํ•œ ๊ฒƒ ๊ฐ™์œผ๋‹ˆ, ๋‚˜๋Š” ๊ทธ๋“ค๊ณผ ๊ฐ™์€ ๊ฒŒ์‹œ๋ฌผ๊ณผ ๋งํฌ๋ฅผ ๊ณต์œ ํ•˜์—ฌ ๋‹น์‹ ์—๊ฒŒ ๋„์›€์ด ๋˜๊ธฐ๋ฅผ ๋ฐ”๋ผ๋ฉฐ...

๊ทธ๋ฆฌ๊ณ  ์—ฌ๊ธฐ ์•„์ฃผ ๊ฒฝํ—˜์ด ๋งŽ์€ ํšŒ์›์ด ์ž‘์„ฑํ•œ ๋˜ ๋‹ค๋ฅธ ์ž๋ฃŒ์—๋Š” ๋‹น์‹ ์„ ๋„์šธ ์ˆ˜ ์žˆ๋Š” ์ •๋ณด๊ฐ€ ์žˆ์„ ๊ฒ๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.

...๊ทธ๋ฆฌ๊ณ  ์—ฌ๊ธฐ ์ „์ฒด ์‹ค์— ๋Œ€ํ•œ ์—ฐ๊ฒฐ๊ณ ๋ฆฌ๊ฐ€ ์žˆ๋Š”๋ฐ, ์šฐ๋ฆฌ ํ›Œ๋ฅญํ•œ ํšŒ์›๋“ค๋กœ๋ถ€ํ„ฐ๋„ ๋งŽ์€ ๋‹ค๋ฅธ ์‘๋‹ต๋“ค์ด ์žˆ์—ˆ๊ธฐ ๋•Œ๋ฌธ์—, ๋‹น์‹ ๋„ ์œ ์šฉํ•˜๋‹ค๊ณ  ๋Š๋‚„์ง€๋„ ๋ชจ๋ฅธ๋‹ค...

๊ฐœ์ธ์ ์œผ๋กœ ๋‚˜๋Š” ๋˜ํ•œ ์ง€์›์„ ๋ฐ›๊ธฐ ์œ„ํ•ด ๊ณต์ธ๋œ ์กฐ๋ฅ˜ ์ˆ˜์˜์‚ฌ(๊ฐœ์™€ ๊ณ ์–‘์ด ์œ ํ˜•์˜ ์ˆ˜์˜์‚ฌ๊ฐ€ ์•„๋‹˜)์˜ ๋„์›€์„ ๋ฐ›์„ ๊ฒƒ์ด๋‹ค. ๋‹น์‹ ์˜ ์œ„์น˜๋‚˜ ์กฐ๋ฅ˜ ํ‡ด์น˜๊ธฐ์˜ ์ด์šฉ๊ฐ€๋Šฅ์„ฑ์ด ํ™•์‹ค์น˜ ์•Š๋‹ค๋Š” ๊ฒƒ์„ ์ดํ•ดํ•œ๋‹ค๋ฉด, ๋‹ค์Œ ๋งํฌ๊ฐ€ ๋‹น์‹ ์ด ๊ทธ ๊ณณ์„ ์ฐพ๋Š” ๋ฐ ๋„์›€์ด ๋  ๊ฒƒ์ด๋‹ค...

๊ฐ€์ž…ํ•ด์ค˜์„œ ์ •๋ง ๊ณ ๋ง™๊ณ , ๋„ˆ์™€ ๋„ˆ์˜ ์†Œ์ค‘ํ•œ ์•„๊ธฐ๊ฐ€ ์ž˜ ๋˜๊ธธ ๋ฐ”๋ž˜! ๐Ÿ™
Thank you! I live in a country where there are few medical facilities to treat birds. That's I came to this overseas site. English is not my first language. Therefore, my words may be clumsy. I've already searched these posts, but I'll look at them again. I was touched by your kindness.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello again sollahan. Can I assume by your last message that you are in South Korea? If so, I've found a number of vet services that may be able to help you out...

Yoon Ju Choi
Uiwang Shi
Kyeonggi Do
Korea, South
Phone: 82-31-424-7580

Sungryong Kim
Chungbuk National University Veterinary Hospital
Seowon-gu, chungdaero1
Cheongju-si
Chungcheongbuk-do
Korea, South

Tae-min Kim
Seoul
House
Korea, South
Phone:+82-10-5345-0416

Moonhee Lee
Veterinarian
Seoul
South Korea
07040 Korea, South
01086225190 (Phone)

Seong Chan Yeon
1 Gwanak-ro, Gwanak-gu,
Gwanak-gu
Seoul
Seoul
08826 Korea, South
82-10-9107-9173 (Phone)

Hopefully one of these may be able to help, or recommend someone closer to you if you are not near them. If they are unable to assist, you could also ask the breeder or seller you got him from for some advice and support too. I hope this information helps you and your baby! ๐Ÿ™

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi, welcome.
What does the bird eat in his own?
Can you post a picture of your bird, and a picture of his poop..
If he is flying, he us probably close to or is weaning himself.
That said, he should be able to eat and swallow food with no issues. A fully feathered baby that can fly, should be able to crack seeds, and eat veggies.

This seems like a medical issue to me. It can be regurgitating which is passive and not like vomiting .

I recently had a sick adult bird who wasn't eating firm foods and who regurgitate when I tried support feeding of baby bird formula. And who would regurgitate food she ate on her own. She had a yeast overgrowth in her crop, because she had been on antibiotics for an infection.

Its pretty common for baby birds in formula to develop a yeast overgrowth.

Mine required nystatin a medicine from the veterinarian to treat the yeast overgrowth. Its one of the antifungal medications. I also fed her a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt, that I feel helps balance flora in the GI system. A little Greek yogurt won't be harmful to your bird, some people think it doesn't really do anything to help, while others like myself have found it does help. Mine fully recovered with the antifungal treatment. No longer let's food drop from her mouth or regurgitate.

Its also very common to get a bacterial infection in crop of babies being hand fed. Which would need antibiotics to treat.

And its possible a crop burn may have happened.

What you described makes me think there is some sort of inflammation in crop, either yeast or bacterial, or injured from a pocket of too hot food . All common things that can go wrong in hand fed babies at any point in raising them.

I feel your bird should be seen by an avian veterinarian.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts