Found Stray can you help with age

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
How often do female parrots other than budgies and cockatiels lay eggs without a mate? Is it common?
Egg laying with no male...
It's not a common every day kind of situation but it does happen And can lead to problems of continuous egg laying which can be very disastrous to the birds health...but that's another story...
To answer your question... not common but it does happen

Food for thought...most chicken eggs you buy are unfertilized eggs

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Egg laying with no male...
It's not a common every day kind of situation but it does happen And can lead to problems of continuous egg laying which can be very disastrous to the birds health...but that's another story...
To answer your question... not common but it does happen

Food for thought...most chicken eggs you buy are unfertilized eggs
I hope the chicken eggs we eat are unfertilized- if I knew they were fertile I wouldn't eat them and would probably crack out my incubator and try hatch them and that's all I need now is a bunch of chickens! Believe me I would love to have chickens and I have enough property but I would probably want to cuddle them all and would be devastated if a predator got one- lots of them here in the woods of Maine. In the winter I'd feel sorry for them and want to bring them inside from the cold. My darling husband wouldn't like that too much.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Then you can understand how important it can be to know if you have a male or female... for the cost ($16)
it's cheap peace of mind
Money wouldn't be an issue for me. I spend stupid amounts of money on my kids! Just wondered why the sex would matter much other than the horrors of egg binding if egg laying without a mate is uncommon in larger parrots. It seems like a lot of people really want to know their parrot's gender. I guess it's also part of human nature to want to know so we can call our birds a "he" or a "she", and I can imagine it must be hard to switch pronouns after having a bird for many years, not that it really matters. The default pronoun for me anyway with my birds has always been "he" for some reason. When I realized that my budgie Rocky was a girl, it took me and my husband two months to stop calling her "good boy", which seems so silly. Thanks for your feedback.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
4 budgies ( parakeet)
I hope the chicken eggs we eat are unfertilized- if I knew they were fertile I wouldn't eat them and would probably crack out my incubator and try hatch them and that's all I need now is a bunch of chickens! Believe me I would love to have chickens and I have enough property but I would probably want to cuddle them all and would be devastated if a predator got one- lots of them here in the woods of Maine. In the winter I'd feel sorry for them and want to bring them inside from the cold. My darling husband wouldn't like that too much.
I grew up on a chicken far ... eggs were the main product start with hundreds of chicks in spring collecting eggs all summer untill winter came ...then chickens sold for meat... and start over in spring... so i guess i look at chickens very differently from my parrots ... I don't see chickens as pets ... but I can understand others that do

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I grew up on a chicken far ... eggs were the main product start with hundreds of chicks in spring collecting eggs all summer untill winter came ...then chickens sold for meat... and start over in spring... so i guess i look at chickens very differently from my parrots ... I don't see chickens as pets ... but I can understand others that do
I just have a soft spot for all birds, I guess, but it doesn't stop me from eating poultry or eggs.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
4 budgies ( parakeet)
Money wouldn't be an issue for me. I spend stupid amounts of money on my kids! Just wondered why the sex would matter much other than the horrors of egg binding if egg laying without a mate is uncommon in larger parrots. It seems like a lot of people really want to know their parrot's gender. I guess it's also part of human nature to want to know so we can call our birds a "he" or a "she", and I can imagine it must be hard to switch pronouns after having a bird for many years, not that it really matters. The default pronoun for me anyway with my birds has always been "he" for some reason. When I realized that my budgie Rocky was a girl, it took me and my husband two months to stop calling her "good boy", which seems so silly. Thanks for your feedback.
Even though it's not a common place incident it's better to know if you have a female just on the outside chance she does produce an egg and binds it you have an idea what's happening or you can watch for it with that in the back of your mind ...if it comes out to be male you can relax any concerns about binding and if the bird does get ill with a known male you can automatically eliminate the possibility of binding .... it's just better to know

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Even though it's not a common place incident it's better to know if you have a female just on the outside chance she does produce an egg and binds it you have an idea what's happening or you can watch for it with that in the back of your mind ...if it comes out to be male you can relax any concerns about binding and if the bird does get ill with a known male you can automatically eliminate the possibility of binding .... it's just better to know
I know that I have always been afraid of having a female bird for exactly the reason of potential egg binding.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
4 budgies ( parakeet)
You
I just have a soft spot for all birds, I guess, but it doesn't stop me from eating poultry or eggs.
You Should have seen when we got delivery of chicks in the spring.... when you open the boxes and let them out...lol... chicks everyplace... the only thing I saw come close was on the lucele ball show ...lol

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You

You Should have seen when we got delivery of chicks in the spring.... when you open the boxes and let them out...lol... chicks everyplace... the only thing I saw come close was on the lucele ball show ...lol
I love going into the local farm store in the spring to see all the cute chicks!

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
4 budgies ( parakeet)
I know that I have always been afraid of having a female bird for exactly the reason of potential egg binding.
I presently have a male and a female green cheeked conure both DNA verified and 4 budgies that I haven't tested but I'm about 99% certain are all male ... the white one I'm less certain but I think is male
Here's photos ...female in my shirt ...male playing with toilet paper roll lol

Attachments

• 20220906_102157.jpg
    20220906_102157.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230225_093320.jpg
    20230225_093320.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 24

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I presently have a male and a female green cheeked conure both DNA verified and 4 budgies that I haven't tested but I'm about 99% certain are all male ... the white one I'm less certain but I think is male
Here's photos ...female in my shirt ...male playing with toilet paper roll lol
Post a photo of your white budgie and we will take an informal survey!

OP
S

sayadina

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Syrax GCC
Sriracha Peachfaced Lovebird
Blueberry Watermelon Rockerstyle Budgie
Just letting you all know that the owner has been found! We reunited them last week.
And now I was asked to take in a bonded pair of green cheeks. By a different person. Life as a pet groomer, especially exotics, is always interesting

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
OMG THAT IS EFFING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats I hope you don't mind loosing the one but I think this could be best case senerio!

I'm so happy for you!

OP
S

sayadina

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Syrax GCC
OMG THAT IS EFFING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats I hope you don't mind loosing the one but I think this could be best case senerio!

I'm so happy for you!
I am so happy for Kiwi! that's her name. Her momma was so happy, it really made my month.
Kiwi flew out the door when a delivery man came. She's a known cage escape artist and it was just awful timing.
Reunification was always the main goal. I was holding onto her because my local shelter has an outbreak of Avian Flu and it was safer for her to stay at my home business than be exposed.
And I got the answer to the pressing question. KIWI IS 5YRS OLD!!! Wtf bird has a baby face lol.
My new fosters are an owner surrender and might end up just staying here...lol

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Unfortunately once a parrot is an adult telling its age is nearly impossible.
Even older birds have just as much energy as young bird.
The eye color doesn’t apply to green cheeks, many other species though like Greys, budgies, and IRNs.

I am so happy for Kiwi! that's her name. Her momma was so happy, it really made my month.
Kiwi flew out the door when a delivery man came. She's a known cage escape artist and it was just awful timing.
Reunification was always the main goal. I was holding onto her because my local shelter has an outbreak of Avian Flu and it was safer for her to stay at my home business than be exposed.
And I got the answer to the pressing question. KIWI IS 5YRS OLD!!! Wtf bird has a baby face lol.
My new fosters are an owner surrender and might end up just staying here...lol
So wonderful that Kiwi was reunited with her Mama!
Speaking of reunifications, I just read a news clip about an independent pet store in Alabama that had a $1,000 tame young Sun Conure stolen from the store by a woman customer who just stuffed the bird in her handbag and left. They had the theft on a security camera and the police were able to ID the woman thanks to social media. A plea was posted for the woman to please return the bird to the store and a couple days later she brought him back in a small travel cage! Apparently she's not off the hook for the crime, but the store owner got the lovely valuable bird back unharmed!

OP
S

sayadina

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Syrax GCC
That's wild. People do some crazy stuff.
The new fosters came this afternoon and I've got to say I am shocked by the conditions they were kept in.
Tiny cage. I asked if it was a travel cage and was told "no that's thier house" 2 perches/no toys
All seed diet, primarily sunflower seeds.
And no names. DNA male and female, almost 2yrs old but no name?
The lady acted like it was a massive inconvenience to bring me the birds because I live a half hour away. 😥
She just dumped them and took off.

They like my husband, go figure...lol. but im the mean lady who clipped their wings. (please no hate, I clip for safety. I get too many lost birds and where I live the climate would be deadly. Ottawa Canada)
They will be quite some work.
20230512_182327.jpg

So wonderful that Kiwi was reunited with her Mama!
Speaking of reunifications, I just read a news clip about an independent pet store in Alabama that had a $1,000 tame young Sun Conure stolen from the store by a woman customer who just stuffed the bird in her handbag and left. They had the theft on a security camera and the police were able to ID the woman thanks to social media. A plea was posted for the woman to please return the bird to the store and a couple days later she brought him back in a small travel cage! Apparently she's not off the hook for the crime, but the store owner got the lovely valuable bird back unharmed!

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
Since its a stray. Have you checked/posted Craigslist? Is it chipped. A local vet should have resources to verify. My Conure is chipped so any vet in the country should be able to verify who owns the bird.

OP
S

sayadina

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Syrax GCC
Since its a stray. Have you checked/posted Craigslist? Is it chipped. A local vet should have resources to verify. My Conure is chipped so any vet in the country should be able to verify who owns the bird.
We found the owner 😀

Most Reactions